Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Sombra's Shadow

Pucksterv

Trivy hugged back Harcourt before turning towards the mare that had suddenly show interest in her, at the moment of her weakness.

"Hey, are you alright?" Asked Diamond with her usual adorable smile, hoping that it would make an impact on the mares mood.

"Hmm? oh yeah, I'm fine. I just lost control of my emotions there for a second. No need to worry. I'm okay now." Trivy said as she looked at the mare. ''Why is it always when I'm at my weakest when ponies notice me?" Trivy thought to herself. She had kept herself strong the entire journey and she did not like to seem weak. Yet at the moment she was at a lower point, they seemed to notice her. 

She looked at the mare again, her smile slowly returning. "Say, I've seen you around a few times but I realize I never introduced myself properly. My name is Trivy." At first, She wanted to extend her hoof but quickly threw away the idea as it was better to keep on moving. The faster out of here, the better. Caves have never been one of Trivy's favorites.

• Brohoof 2

Trivy hugged back Harcourt before turning towards the mare that had suddenly show interest in her, at the moment of her weakness.

"Hmm? oh yeah, I'm fine. I just lost control of my emotions there for a second. No need to worry. I'm okay now." Trivy said as she looked at the mare. ''Why is it always when I'm at my weakest when ponies notice me?" Trivy thought to herself. She had kept herself strong the entire journey and she did not like to seem weak. Yet at the moment she was at a lower point, they seemed to notice her. 

She looked at the mare again, her smile slowly returning. "Say, I've seen you around a few times but I realize I never introduced myself properly. My name is Trivy." At first, She wanted to extend her hoof but quickly threw away the idea as it was better to keep on moving. The faster out of here, the better. Caves have never been one of Trivy's favorites.

Diamond didn't really buy her explanation, but she decided not to bother her about. "Nice to meet you Trivy! My name is Diamond Burst, and i don't really like to get involved with anypony that much, that's probably why you never see me" Explained Diamond.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@, @@Randimaxis,  

(sorry it took so long to post)

"Nice to meet you Trivy! My name is Diamond Burst, and i don't really like to get involved with anypony that much, that's probably why you never see me"

"Well, I think you should try to make some friends. I don't mean to scare you but you never know how much time you have left these days. Might as well make the most of it." Trivy said with a smile even though it wasn't really a happy thought. "I'm gonna go check with Harcourt for a second, to see where we are. Keep your eyes open and be careful." She said before she walked towards the front of the row where Harcourt was.

They were now underneath Canterlot, inside the mines. You could here the hoofsteps and quiet whispers echo from the walls. It was dark, almost impossible to see. It was a good sign, because it was impossible for the shadows to come down here.

Trivy walked next to Harcourt. "So, how are we doing so far?"

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 2

Though he struggled to keep a decent pace with that damnable cart he was dragging behind him, he showed Trivy no signs of either slowing down or stopping.  He gave her a glance, then returned to scanning the path ahead of them.

"Well, I believe we're nearing the end of the cavern leg of our journey soon enough - if I remember correctly, this cave comes out behind one of the many waterfalls further downhill.  The others are handling it well enough, and the supplies we have should hold out for a bit more than that... though I expect it will be time to gather food again soon enough."

He felt his hindquarters developing a cramp; not the first and certainly not the last.  There was no way anypony would get that out of him, though - being stalwart and all was his job.

"I know we don't have much in the way of weaponry, but I need you to go ahead and distribute them accordingly.  Anypony that has any skill gets a sword; the rest get spears.  The quality of said items may be in doubt," he stated, "but better to have and not need, than to need and not have.  I already have some tricks up my mane, so skip arming me - get the others."

He leveled a stern look her way.

"According to the map you pilfered, the cave will exit near one of those guard towers - not close enough to be spotted immediately, but we'll have to hoof it quietly if we want to make it away without incident."

Harcourt grunted as the cart's wheel caught, then bumped over another rock.  He swore, when the war was over, he was going to invite all the survivors to a Cart Bashing Party, and he was getting the first lick.

"Remember your lessons, my dear - low, slow, and go with the flow.  No need for bravado.  Oh, and Trivy?  Check your satchel; you'll know what to do with what I've put there, and don't you DARE take them for granted."

He knew she'd find the apples, but he planned to watch her closely to make certain she ate at least one of them - she needed her strength, and he didn't want things to get to the point where he might have to force feed her.

"Now, off you go - distribute the armaments.  There's a good girl."  He returned his attention to the cavern ahead, silently cursing the cart with every step.

Edited by Randimaxis

"Now, off you go - distribute the armaments.  There's a good girl."

"Wait.. I have a better idea." Trivy said, rushing after Harcourt. She jumped in front of him, causing him to stop walking. "What if we let the others wait here inside the cave while we go out to guard tower." Trivy said with a smile. She knew that Harcourt would not approve of the idea so she continued to talk before he could say anything. ''Before you say anything! the plan is, we sneak to guard tower, take out the Darkmane guards with a surprise attack, then we grab their weapons and supplies and we go back to the others. This way we will have more weapons, armor and food. Plus it shows that we are stronger than Sombra thinks."

• Brohoof 1

@@Pripyat Pony@@JonasDarkmane,

Lilith nodded as they approached the castle, remaining silent as she went through the verifications and procedures that she did to prove her existence and the fact that she was not a spy. She was blinded for a moment as the lights inside of the castle shone brightly, and, as her eyes adjusted again, she was dazzled by the shining lights of the crystal. Even if the crystal was shot through with darkness, it was still an impressive sight. "Tch... Well, here we are. And now we await the Prince's presence- either that, or I can go find him..." Lilith bowed towards Jinx again. "Thank you for the conversation, Archm... Jinx. Hopefully it will not be too long until our next one." With a faint smile, she backed off before standing up straight again and awaiting the potential arrival of the Prince before delving into the Crystal Castle.

• Brohoof 2

@

Black smoke floated behind Lilith. It materialized into Rave Darkmane. 

"Ah, I just love shadow morphing". He looked at Lilith. "So you are ready to take upon the task? Ready to serve your King? I hope you are, because this task will not be easy" he walked around her. Some maps and a orb floated from under his royal clothing. He pulled up his cape, revealing his set of black armor, it was not particularly good, it as more for show. "The map tells you about the most recent known  rebel activity, of their location and some information. I have also gotten reports that... that... ONE OF MY MAPS IS MISSING" he stomped his hooves angrily into the ground, the sound echoing in the hallway. Rave seemed a bit angry, but then calmed himself. "The orb is a mapping orb. You will use it to map everything down, especially their location. As you are not a unicorn, you have to say the magic words of 'Luu maa-kra sema' to activate it and 'Mii-surklo ikra' to deactivate it". 

He looked at her in the eyes. "Anything you would like to ask?". 

• Brohoof 2

@@JonasDarkmane

Lilith turned around, her hoof almost to her shortsword before she realized it was Prince Darkmane. She growled internally, masking her irritation with a faint smile. It's always the same. All royalty feel the need to make flashy entrances... She bowed down before rising again, maintaining eye contact as he circles around from behind her and explained the task at hand, complete with the mini-tantrum that came with his realization that he was missing one. She received the orb from the Prince- it seemed quite the unique piece of equipment. As soon as he said, 'trigger word', she immediately focused, memorizing the words as they were passing from the Prince's lips. She would write them down somewhere on her body before she left.

As the Prince finished with a request for any questions that she might have, Lilith thought for a moment before responding with, "I have one question, my lord. For the purposes of maintaining my cover, do I have sanction to participate in any raids that I might be asked to participate in?" She would assume it would be a yes, but she was secretly dreading a no. Being forbidden from participating in combat as a ranger would raise suspicions incredibly quickly, suspicion she might not be able to defuse.

• Brohoof 2

@

Rave smirked. "Of course you can. Feel free to slaughter to earn their trust, just make sure it does not affect my King's progress..... or mine" he hissed, smiling but giving her a cold stare. "Now, if there are no more questions, I have a lot of work ahead of me" he smiled warmly, waiting to hear Lilith stating that she had no more questions. 

• Brohoof 3

"Wait.. I have a better idea." Trivy said, rushing after Harcourt. She jumped in front of him, causing him to stop walking.

He stopped so suddenly, the cart smacked him in the rump.  The look he gave Trivy could curdle lava.

"What if we let the others wait here inside the cave while we go out to guard tower?" Trivy said with a smile. ''Before you say anything! the plan is, we sneak to guard tower, take out the Darkmane guards with a surprise attack, then we grab their weapons and supplies and we go back to the others. This way we will have more weapons, armor and food. Plus it shows that we are stronger than Sombra thinks."

With the echoes of last night's dream still fresh in his mind, Harcourt considered Trivy's plan earnestly.  On the one hoof, the chances of getting to the tower, then subduing an unknown number of guards and robbing it blind while not alerting the other towers to our presence would be exceedingly slim... on the other hoof, I'd have to leave the cart behind...

To Trivy's surprise, Harcourt grinned and simply said, "Let me get unhooked."

It was only a moment before he was free from the tyrannical harness.  He made his way around the back of the cart, grabbing a box that Trivy had seen many times since meeting Harcourt.  He pulled the lid back, revealing a slightly moth-eaten yet silky smooth black fabric - Harcourt's stealth suit.  It was one of the few items he actually treasured, and she knew that once he put it on, there was no stopping him from going into full-out master thief mode.  He slipped it on quickly and easily, knowing every fold like his own graying mane.  Once properly attired, he turned and gave Trivy a smile; with that, he seemed to almost become the spitting image of the handsome, roguish stallion he'd been before the war had ever started.  

"Alright, the lot of you... set up camp here; no torches.  Catch some sleep, eat a bit, play the quiet game - as long as you make not a peep.  When we return, there will be little time to waste; be ready to scoot along at a moment's notice."

He turned back to face Trivy.  What scant light there was here almost seemed to be absorbed into Harcourt's suit.  It wasn't magical at all, but made of a rare fabric that simply refused to reflect light.  He gave her a smug grin as he made his way past her and towards the mouth of the cave.

"I'll bet you'd have thought this old nag wouldn't have agreed to such an endeavor, eh?  Well..."

That grin seemed to shift into the dark, determined smile.

"... let's just say that it may be time to start repaying the interest on an old debt.  Shall we?"

"... let's just say that it may be time to start repaying the interest on an old debt.  Shall we?"

Trivy had expected a different reaction, she was surprised by Harcourt's enthusiasm. A grin grew on Trivy's face before she put her hood over her face. She was wearing her usual black cloak, which came in handy in this situation. She walked after Harcourt who was standing outside the cave. The sun was setting, perfect time to strike. Trivy grabbed the map from her bag so she could locate the guard tower. There was one in the distance. "That's the one. Alright, lets go!"

• Brohoof 1

Moonbane followed the group, listening in on the conversations between their small band. He also caught wind of the duo's plan to attack a nearby tower. He watched them gather up a few things and prepare to set off. Harcourt made his small speech to the group to which as far as Moonbane could tell, everyone was contempt with. He got up and approached them both, "Make sure you two come back. Ok?" With that, he went back to the group to keep watch over the group. He knew that it was necessary for their survival. Their supplies were starting to run thin as it stood. He thought for a moment and walked back over to the two, "I know this may seem like suiside, but if the oppertunity arise, try to take a patrol scedual or something. We'll be able to move during the day with an ease of dying if we know their routes and convoy times."

Edited by Tempest Shift
  • Brohoof 2

Harcourt nodded to Moonbane.  "An excellent idea, my good pony.  We will make the effort.  Best of luck... hopefully, they won't sniff the lot of you out."    He gave a good-natured nudge to Moonbane's side, then turned back to Trivy.  "Lead on, La Triviata."  One of his varied nicknames for her - he must be feeling better than he seemed to.

So long, you miserable wagon!  Though we shall meet again, I bid you farewell for now - and I hope the termites find you as tasty as I find you distasteful!

With that, they left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tower stood between two large sections of rock.  It was constructed of both dark crystal and common stone, and stood high enough to give a decent view of the surrounding area.  There were slotted windows at different intervals around the sides, and enough room inside to allow for crude bedding for a secondary shift, a small armory and, of course, cramped prisoner cells.

Trivy and Harcourt stopped short behind one of the two flanking rocks near the tower.  They watched the guards moving around for a bit, saying nothing.  After memorizing as much of the patrol's path as possible, Harcourt turned to Trivy and spoke in the barest of whispers.

"Remember... low, slow, and go with the flow.  How many guards do you count, my dear?"

Edited by Randimaxis
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Remember... low, slow, and go with the flow.  How many guards do you count, my dear?"

"I saw two guards on the top, there must be a few of them inside as well. I can use my invisibility spell, it doesn't work very long but it can help us get closer to the tower without being noticed. There is a guard at the main entrance of the tower, we need to knock him out. That's all I got for a plan so far. Once we are inside, we will have to improvise.'' Trivy whispered as she sat down quietly next to Harcourt as they glared at the tower in the distance.

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 1

"I saw two guards on the top, there must be a few of them inside as well. I can use my invisibility spell, it doesn't work very long but it can help us get closer to the tower without being noticed. There is a guard at the main entrance of the tower, we need to knock him out. That's all I got for a plan so far. Once we are inside, we will have to improvise.''

Harcourt grinned, glad to see she was assessing things well.

"Good, but you can do better... with the pace we've been watching them walk at, the shadows passing the windows tell the tale of three to five more within.  As far as the one at the front goes, he's been shaking off sleep for a good minute - it's probably close to time for a shift change.  If we wait until his relief arrives, we can lower their number by two instead of one.  As for the two at the top, they leave a six second window where they both cross each other's paths... the best time for moving unseen.  After all, magic has its place, but wisdom says that magic should be saved for emergencies; besides, I've been wanting to see how much of the training you've retained."

He grinned at her, a hint of mischievousness skirting the edges of his smile.

"No magic.  You can do this without it, I'm certain of it.  Now, prove that the student respects the teacher.  I'll be watching in case they prove to be more formidable than they appear.  Go on, now - make fools of them.  I'm right behind you."

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

"No magic.  You can do this without it, I'm certain of it.  Now, prove that the student respects the teacher.  I'll be watching in case they prove to be more formidable than they appear.  Go on, now - make fools of them.  I'm right behind you."

"Wait, you want me to go now?" Trivy said with a little fear inside her voice. "oo.. okay,  here I go then." 

Trivy started to sneak towards the tower while watching the sleepy guard at the front. When she got to the tower, she hid herself around the corner, against the wall, waiting for the shift change. 

The door opened with a loud noise, another guard stepped outside, "HEY! Sleepy head, shift change." The guard said, punching the sleepy guard with his hoof.

Trivy got behind the guard quietly, she grabbed both guards by their heads and bumped them against each other. They were out instantly. She looked back at Harcourt with a smile.

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 1

Harcourt smiled.  She's gotten so much better since we started training.  She already had quite a lot of potential, but now she's reaching a new level, and I'm so proud for her - I wish I could tell her so...

Instead, he crept over to the door and told her, "Not bad.  That's using their heads."  He moved slowly and silently into the front area, then slid smooth as velvet against the wall.

As he crept along, Trivy noticed that Harcourt didn't move like an old stallion.  It was fairly obvious that he was, indeed, still the master thief he had been in his heyday.  Covered by the stealth suit, his hooves made not a single click as he slithered across the room to the stairs.  Inching up them, he suddenly stopped, and withdrew something sharp and steely from the hidden pouch he kept.

A breath.  Another.  Then he swiftly vanished from sight for one heartstopping moment.  A slight gasp from above was all Trivy heard, then silence.  After a moment, Harcourt leaned his head around the stairwell.  He made the motion of slicing his throat, then soundlessly stepped once - one more down.

He circled his hoof at her, their sign for 'come on', and took to the walls again, creeping along.

When she arrived, the body of a Darkmane guard lie on the floor, bleeding out.  There were no signs of life... and there was something carved into the guard's armor - "FOR VYLIA".  Trivy wondered what that meant, but it would have to wait until later.  Meanwhile, he motioned ahead of them, then stepped softly twice: two more, it meant.  He then made a sweeping bow towards the hallway, implying after you.

• Brohoof 1

@@JonasDarkmane,

Oh, thank Celestia, she thought, remembering after she formed the thought that the pair of them were dead. She bowed. "That was it, Prince Darkmane. I shall not let you down..." Maintaining her bow, she retreated a few yards before standing up and departing the Crystal Castle, back into the faint light of a waxing moon with a smile on her face.

Let this hunt begin, she thought, for it has been too long since I have seen the woods.

((Since there's gonna be some time before the guards start running, I'm gonna stagger out my posts.))

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Trivy was in shock at the amount of blood that was now running over the floor. "I thought I made it clear last time that there is no need for killing. It only makes you as low as them." Trivy whispered angry and upset. No matter how much death she had seen since the war, no matter how angry she was at Sombra and his forces, she would never kill them. They might be wrong but she was not going to take away their life's.

Trivy passed Harcourt into the hallway.

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 1

"I thought I made it clear last time that there is no need for killing. It only makes you as low as them."

Harcourt was glad to hear that coming from Trivy... but at the same time, he intended to send a message to the Darkmane family that he was going to get his revenge, no matter what.

Oh, to be young and idealistic again, he mused.  I do hope that you can continue to adhere to your values, my dear... and I hope you never have to experience what I did - the bitterness alone would destroy you.

He looked back at the corpse cooling on the floor.  

A life for a life... one down, three to go.  I hope that message sticks in your craw, Rave Darkmane - and I hope your blood boils with the realization that you missed one, you rutting bastard.

Outwardly, there was no sign of any of his internal conversation on his features.  instead, he merely waved off Trivy's words, and followed her into the hall, waiting for her to deal with the next threat.

(edited)

Trivy put her hood over her face completely so that she was not recognizable. She sneaked up behind the last two guards. They were having a cup of cider, they already had a few. She quickly kicked one of the guards in his stomach, causing him to fall to the ground in pain. She then walked up to the other guard who had dropped his cider out of his hoofs. Trivy put on of her hoofs on his neck and pinned him against the wall.

"I have a message for King Sombra and his lapdog Rave Darkmane. You better listen to me before I let my friend here take over."

The guard nodded in fear.

"Tell him to leave us alone! He can have Equestria as long as he stops hurting other ponies. If he stops bothering us, we wont bother him. But if he does, We. Will. Be. Ready. To. Fight. Back!" and with that Trivy let him go, causing the guard to stumble to the ground. "Come on, out of here!" The guard nodded and ran down the stairs, outside.

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 2

"I have a message for King Sombra and his lapdog Rave Darkmane. You better listen to me before I let my friend here take over."

Harcourt smiled and spun his throwing dagger around his hoof, a flashy trick that spoke volumes about his skill.

"Tell him to leave us alone! He can have Equestria as long as he stops hurting other ponies. If he stops bothering us, we wont bother him. But if he does, We. Will. Be. Ready. To. Fight. Back!"

His smile was loaded with venomous glee.  He made it quite apparent to the drunken guard that he was more than willing to end his life at a moment's notice... although one killing was enough.  For today, anyway.  One down; three to go.

"Come on, out of here!"  Trivy's stare helped push the guard to leave.  On the way out, Harcourt sent a swift kick into the fleeing pony's rump.  He laughed as the pony rushed out quickly.  Turning back to Trivy, he became all business.

"Come on - in and out, gather what we can carry, then back to the others.  We have no need to be here when the other towers motivate some reinforcements.  Quickly, now!"

Harcourt began grabbing whatever seemed useful, and he produced a much larger sack (well-folded for storage) from his hidden pouch where he began to stuff the contents.  He worked quickly, hooves flying as he cleared shelves of foodstuffs, papers and weaponry.

(edited)

"Come on - in and out, gather what we can carry, then back to the others.  We have no need to be here when the other towers motivate some reinforcements.  Quickly, now!"

"On it." Trivy said with a saluting motion before she grabbed as much stuff she could find. She found her way in food storage. There was a lots of bread, apples and well, apple cider. She put as much food in her bag before returning to Harcourt. "I gathered as much as I can carry. I'm ready to go."

@@JonasDarkmane

A guard approached you with fear in her eyes. "Uh.. Sir..I mean... Prince Darkmane... I do not mean to bother you but Princess Twilight has requested your presence down in the dungeons. She wishes to speak with you." the guard said, saluting with a hoof next to her head.

Edited by Pucksterv
  • Brohoof 1

"I gathered as much as I can carry. I'm ready to go."

He nodded, and the two of them made their way down the tower stairs and out the door, madly dashing for the cavern with their pilfered goods.  Harcourt smiled, but the smile didn't reach his eyes.

One down; three to go.

They were swallowed up by the darkness, gone to the naked eye.

Melody peeked out of the rock she was hiding behind, she was alarmed to see other ponies, but also knew that they were of no harm to her, or at least, she hoped they were of no harm.

She tried to still stay mostly hidden, but also knew her white coat, along with red mane, was an easy giveaway of her location. 

"Should I go and join them? I wonder if they are planning on stopping Sombra as well.... They seem like it" She thought to herself.

She saw them walking, and started following quietly, using a small light spell to guide her way.

(I'm trying my best to go along with the story, but i've missed a lot! SO SORRY! Hopefully this is ok! ^^;)

• Brohoof 2