Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Princess Twilight Sparkle definitely a Hasbro decision?

SteveMorison

Anti-twilicorn's always seem to want to blame Hasbro for making the change of Twilight to a princess in order to sell toys, is this what really happened or are people just finding a scapegoat? We know that Lauren Faust didn't want Twilight to become an Alicorn princess but she was not show runner at the time, so maybe the writers and producers were keen on this idea. Megan McCarthy actually spoke at Buck 2014 and said that the only time Hasbro had come to her with their own ideas was for Equestria Girls. Is she just covering for Hasbro or is she telling the truth?

Why would she lie? XD It isn't even a bad thing. It's pretty funny, and it was kinda obvious, considering she was already OP as fuck with her magic. But the princess of friendship thing is kinda cringy and cheesy. :P

Faust has constatnly stated in interviews and other parts of the internet that the ultimate goal for Twilight was to reach this ascension to princesshood, so stop asking. The toys are just what Hasbro typically makes.

This whole conspiracy theory, about Hasbro holding guns against the writers heads and forcing them to put their toys in the show is so full of nonsense.

Granted, their toys are put in the show (since the first episode of course.) But the writers most of the time make it very subtle. And if the crew thought that they needed to make Twilight a princess, i believe them.

Yes, i criticize the writers for some of the stuff they do, but i also have to defend them for some of those accusations, because i think they are not okay and we are pretty much beating a dead horse now.

• Brohoof 1

M.A. Larson said he made Twilight an alicorn because he thought Magical Mystery Cure was going to be the series finale. Since that was not the case, many changes were made, and the way he originally intended it to be was drastically different than how it turned out.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/08/bronycon-coverage-john-de-lancie-and.html#more

Not only was Twilicorn not Mitch's original idea, Magical Mystery Cure was originally intended to be the series finale of FiM when he first wrote the script for it. Most major changes in the show stem from requests made by Hasbro's toy department that the writers then try to work naturally into the show, but in this case there was a very real possibility that the show would end after Season 3, since 65 episodes is a fairly standard run for a kid's cartoon to have. The original draft of the episode included some kind of small reference to every single other episode in the show's history, but most of those were cut once the series was renewed two or three months after the episode's first draft was completed. Had Magical Mystery Cure never been intended as the series finale, Mitch isn't sure Twilight would've become an alicorn at all.

I think that answers the question.  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Yes it was their decision. Apparently alicorns is popular to the kiddie demographic.

Faust did have plans to make Twilight elevated to more magical power but not become an alicorn. She would just be a powerful unicorn.

Princess Twilight was Faust's original idea. The catch was, the series was originally slated to end after the third season. The budget and timing of it was set years in advance, before the board at Hasbro had heard the term "Brony".

Once Hasbro realized the fandom for the show had reached epic proportions, they extended the run of the show, but couldn't ignore what had happened, so they made the best of it.

Why would she lie? XD It isn't even a bad thing. It's pretty funny, and it was kinda obvious, considering she was already OP as fuck with her magic. But the princess of friendship thing is kinda cringy and cheesy. :P

I wouldn't mind if she had powerful magic or a princess just not a goddamn alicorn.

MMC was like reading some 8 year old alicorn fan's ponyfic.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

M.A.Larson did it to close out the series (so he thought.) His original episode idea was different and involved Twilight opening a box of powerful magic stuff Celestia sent her before she was supposed to, which screwed stuff up. She fixes that and "earns her wings." Something along those lines is what I remember him saying in an interview. Had he known season 3 was not the end before hand Twilight probably would still be a unicorn. I think I do remember Faust saying that Twilight was eventually supposed to be Celestia's successor.

Yes it was their decision. Apparently alicorns is popular to the kiddie demographic.

Faust did have plans to make Twilight elevated to more magical power but not become an alicorn. She would just be a powerful unicorn.

I do think Twi would've become an alicorn even in Faust's hands. Twi was intended for greatness, but if Faust wanted to alicornifike Twi at first, is anyone guess, but if Faust would've have stayed by S3 finale, she would have rolled with it