Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If Canterlot and the Crystal Empire go to war who should Twilight side with?

cider float

Normally Twilight would side with neither. Loving both her mentor and her sister-in-law, she would try and find a way to make peace between the two, and would otherwise not actually fight one side or the other. Now, if one side was clearly under some evil influence or just became bad, like a situation similar to Nightmare Moon, then Twilight would be opposed to that side, but rather than fight some war would likely go straight to the leader of that side and either find a way to get the old one back, or imprison them in some way.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this hypothetical situation before.

I think Twilight would side with Canterlot and Shining Armor with the Crystal Empire, but both reluctantly. I know they're siblings, but they haven't been together for a long time. They've reunited, sure, but in most episodes since Shining Armor's introduction, they haven't been seen together and haven't socialized much. Adding to Twilight, she's known Celestia far longer than she's known Cadence.

As the saying goes, 'the blood of the covenant is thicker than the blood of the womb.'

Twilight would try to make peace and succeed because she is the princess of friendship she is the best choice for the job, but this could probably happen in another version of Equestria because both Canterlot and the Crystal Empire are on the good side in this version.

Edited by FrozenSpark

What would they fight over? Plus, I'd say the Crystal Empire population size would be issue to take over Equestria, I bet it's fair smaller than Equestria. Since they were frozen in time for a thousand years.

In the world of fan fiction this will could happen, other than that it's very unlikely. Real world issues of this scale could never be brought up in a kid's show. Especially, if the war was horrible and lots of ponies got killed.  Horrible as in; towns, villages and weakly defended areas like Ponyville get burned down to the ground by invading Crystal Empire ponies. These places don't have walls nor a large garrison of troops to defend them, so they are ripe for raiding from enemy soldiers. 

King Sombra on the other hand would probably seek to take over Equestria if he was still in power.  And even enslave everyone in Equestria and force them to live under him with an iron hoof.

Edited by Bendy

I would say, that if this ever actually happened, and she actually had to choose a side, she would side with Canterlot.

She wouldn't want to risk dissapointing her mentor, and the pony who made her a princess.

But that is if she HAD to choose a side. Like, absolutely had too. Otherwise, she would probably find some way to stay out of the situation and bring peace back to Equestria.