Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Equestria Girls Feel Too "Girly" For Some Adult MLP Fans?

GXPBlast

Here is the problem I have with Equestria Girls despite both rainbow rocks and probably the next installment friendship games having a good story line.

It feels as when I am watching it, I am watching a true girly show even for female adult fans of mlp. When I mean girly I mean like for 4-10 year old girls and not a "family show" if you know what i mean

Moreover,I feel like I am watching Bratz or Monster high. I mean even the stock art (not the show animation) reminds be of the girly aspect of Bratz or monster high.  I know it may sound hypocritical since MLP is a "girls" show, but something about the ponies make it unique.

Notice any similarities between these? Also, can anyone relate?

I hope I am not the only one to feel this way lol.

sig-4074900.mlpeq_rainbow-rocks_main.jpg

sig-4074900.monsterhigh-lead.jpg

Edited by GXPBlast

To be honest, its hard to say, considering the show is My Little Pony and all. I personly think there's no differance. The only time I feel like I'm watching a kids show for little girls is when the theme song plays. I don't get that with the movies though. I think the first Equestria Girls movie had a lot of clishés many kids movies targeted towards female have. That's just my thoughts about it. :fluttershy:

Theres a difference between looking like Monster High, and acting like Monster High. not even the first movie reached that level of stereotypical girl things..

Edited by Ickery

The first one did; The second one was better. I actually wonder if they were just phoning it in for the first one. I can imagine them not being excited about it and just going along with it because of Hasbro, then later deciding "if we're gonna have to do this, we might as well do it right".

Human RD was embarrassingly bad in the first one in particular. At the end of the movie, when pony Dash asks "Is she as awesome as me?" My answer was a big NO.

But they managed to salvage her character in RR (and before that, in that IDW comics issue people seem to hate) and bring her closer to regular Dash tier.

I didn't think either were girly when I watched it. The only thing that seems silly is when the human Mane 6 transform into...pony humans? Growing hair that reaches the ground, plus unnecessary accessories, pony ears, and wings make it a little girly. But without that, they're pretty decent as they are.

I don't see things as girly or masculine anymore

And let the church say amen.

The notion of girly and masculine is the most ridiculous thing we humans have made. Do bears fight over what fish are more masculine? No, they'll both kill any fish they damn well please.

Now, i'm not saying all guys should go out and buy nail polish. But if they want to, let 'em. Why would I care what someone else does with their life? If you get enjoyment out of it, nothing is "too girly".

Edited by AppleJack_Wack
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not sure. Admittedly, the blatant toy-market aspect of the movies bothers me, I think the central idea of the show is strong enough that I don't feel like the show is necessarily "girly".

Perfect example, is the scene in Rainbow Rocks where Twilight and Sunset have that moment in the kitchen at Pinkie's house. That didn't feel girly to me, it felt genuine. Confiding in a friend, having a falling out, not realizing how arguments over petty things can drastically alter your relationships with others. I don't think these things are "girly", I think they're human.

I've only seen the first one, but I was definitely weirded out by the "human" versions of the girls.  I think they should have had human skin tones and looked a little more... well, human, but with the iconic hair/eye colors.  

I didn't think either were girly when I watched it. The only thing that seems silly is when the human Mane 6 transform into...pony humans? Growing hair that reaches the ground, plus unnecessary accessories, pony ears, and wings make it a little girly. But without that, they're pretty decent as they are.

So true, so very true.