Tell me something Facebook users...

Discordian

As far as I know no one likes the new Timeline thing they've been pushing on users the last couple months.

So why then is Facebook making a forced change to it if everyone complains about it? I mean, I know sites like this constantly change things like this often enough but generally speaking if you present something and no one likes it you don't force it on us unless there is a good reason you need to change it. (Which, as far as I know, there is no good reason it needs to be changed)

Bah, I don't expect much more than just "Sites like do this all the time, eventually people forget about it" kind of responses, which usually come about in this type of mini-rant, but Imma rant anyway.

Porbably because most users are actually fine with it, and the ones who don't like it are the minority. And yet, because they DON'T like it, they'll complain, rant, etc. If something's bad, you'll complain about it. If it's good or okay, you won't say anything, giving the illusion, from the complaints, that most people actually hate the timeline.

• Brohoof 2

My personal gripe with it is just that it's cluttered like crazy. Maybe I just haven't really looked at it deep enough and I'll likely get used to it like I do with every other site that changes things like this.

• Brohoof 1

As far as I know no one likes the new Timeline thing they've been pushing on users the last couple months.

That's not true... I for one, actually like the Timeline. Because of how it looks. x)

They introduce it (or "force" it) because their research has shown it's liked more.

People complain about it, because it's a change from what they know. If they wanted to revert changes a year from now, people would complain even more.

• Brohoof 1

http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png Okay, after actually taking the tour it's not so bad.

Plus I found a reason to like it. I can put MLP as my Facebook Cover thus making it well known that I love MLP. They even have MLP Facebook Covers on Google. LOL

Now to pick one I like...

So...uh..I guess we can consider this topic null and void...xD

http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png Nevermind, guess they don't want you to use copyright-infringing stuff. Dammit.

Fickle, aren't I?

I would like to think most major companies don't change things for the sake of changing them. There's gotta be a ton of market research and test development involved before a decision is made.

Timeline is better, but I know a few people that seem butt-hurt over it, sadly. I think facebook should be allowed to make their site out how they want it, personally. I mean it IS a free service and nobody should complain about how they choose to make it look. Their only concern should be to make sure their site is running smoothly. Edited by PeachPalette

I'd say it makes better use of their page and by forcing everyone to have the same format, they can reduce the number of errors.

Besides, it's what most modern companies do, they revamp their image and somehow sales go up again...

I'm okay with it and it doesn't stop me or people from using it; so as you say, after hyperventilating or ranting for a while, eventually everyone forgets about the forced changes.

To be completely honest, I didn't even notice the timeline change until like 3 weeks after the change happened and even when it did happen it didn't really phase me.

Facebook gets boring fast and now the only good part about it are the pictures. It's barely even a social network anymore. It's more like an image board or teenage/ prepubescent girls blog about how hard their mid to high income lives are.

I've never really been a big fan of Facebook but even I think it's sunk to a new low.

Timeline should be the least of peoples worries.

http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png Okay, after actually taking the tour it's not so bad.

Plus I found a reason to like it. I can put MLP as my Facebook Cover thus making it well known that I love MLP. They even have MLP Facebook Covers on Google. LOL

I think this is the problem - it's not that there's something inherently wrong with the Timeline, but people being too quick to say "omg, Facebook looks different! Where is everything?!" instead of taking half a minute to take the tour which tells you everything about it.

It's not unlike the issues we have here with getting members to read our rules and informational pages instead of being quick to PM a staff member with an inane question like "why can't I upload an avatar?"

I think this is the problem - it's not that there's something inherently wrong with the Timeline, but people being too quick to say "omg, Facebook looks different! Where is everything?!" instead of taking half a minute to take the tour which tells you everything about it.

It's not unlike the issues we have here with getting members to read our rules and informational pages instead of being quick to PM a staff member with a question like "why can't I upload an avatar?"

lol I know that's the problem and what's sad is I'm the type who doesn't like to jump to conclusions and judge things too quickly but once in a while I do. It's slightly shameful.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if people like it or not - the majority of Facebook users are addicted to social networking to some level, and depend on it to live life. People use Facebook to communicate with friends, keep track of events, share information, etc - their entire social life becomes heavily based on using a social networking site.

And unfortunately, everyone has Facebook, which makes every other option (Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, etc), less desirable. Your friends are on Facebook, so you have to go there to associate with them. Migrations don't happen too well either - Google+ was hailed as the "end of Facebook", and it more or less turned out to be a flop, because not enough people were willing to move away from Facebook.

So the point of this? Facebook has no incentive to care if their users like changes or not. If they make a change, their users have no place to go. Sure, someone can threaten to switch to Google+, but then they go there, find that out of two hundred friends they had on Facebook, there may only be five or ten of them who actively use Google+, and the they're forced to go back to Facebook to stay in touch with the remaining 190.

The reason I hate changes - they keep getting rid of stuff. Four years ago, you had fully customizable profiles, you could decorate them with badges, arrange "boxes" any way you wanted, create new profile tabs, etc. Now, all of that's gone, replaced merely by your Timeline, and little more.

So why then is Facebook making a forced change to it if everyone complains about it? I mean, I know sites like this constantly change things like this often enough but generally speaking if you present something and no one likes it you don't force it on us unless there is a good reason you need to change it. (Which, as far as I know, there is no good reason it needs to be changed)

Bah, I don't expect much more than just "Sites like do this all the time, eventually people forget about it" kind of responses, which usually come about in this type of mini-rant, but Imma rant anyway.

I like the new timeline, and older users like parents and grandparents find it much easier to use as well.

~

Well, i closed(not deactivated) my FB account, i have more time to spend on my music or Mlp.soo, i guess its a win situation

Personally i don't mind it, it looks kinda cool. I don't really go on Facebook as much now anyways, so i say whatever.

I've looked at Timeline as a means of Facebook reminding people of how much history they have using THEIR social network, so they hesitate to migrate to Google+ or Tumblr or some other social network. "You've been with us five years, remember? May as well stick around, yeah?"