Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Please, help me with a project: Best episode.

Broken Gear

First things first, let's clean some things up. I'm putting this topic here because I believe it ties to episodes of the show the most (as oposed to random discussions on anything MLP). If you believe that it has no right to be here or even exist on this forum, I apologise.

Secondly, this topic has been created with no intention of starting a flame war. I'm mearly interested in peoples poinions. I require such opinions for my project/personal thought experiment.

Lastly, I didn't use mega thread because information I need is a tad more specific.

TL;DR I think it's a good place to post this topic. Don't start a flamewar. Mega thread is a no no for me.

So, what do I need?

I need your choice of best episode in whole series. BUT I'd like you to imagine you are recomending it to a non brony. Not only that, this person has heard and belives many (if not most) misconcepcions and stereotypes about bouth the show and community. This person never seen any episodes of the show, so the early seasons are the best but any episode you believe would be suitable is a fair game.

To help you choose a little fact about this character: He hates things like judging people by their appearences and rumors. "But wait!", I hear you shout, "If he hates these thing, how come he can be doing them?" Aside from the fact that he is a product of enviorment, he also is a hypocryte without realising it.

I would also really appreciate it if you added some reasons for your choice of episode.

TL;DR Recomend an episode to someone who's outside and opposed to fandom. He likes this trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarkIsNotEvil

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Return of Harmony or Lesson Zero. While not my favorite episodes, my top 3 being Twilight's Kingdom, Crusaders of the Lost Mark and Magical Mystery Cure, these unlike my favorites can be watched in any order without major confusion, plus they give an idea of what to expect in the show (Return of Harmony being more story focused and Lesson Zero being more slice of life/comedy focused).

I think that Luna Eclipsed fits into this trope, but you need to watch at least the first two episodes to understand what's going on.

I recommend watching the pilot after watching one of these episodes, and begin watching the episodes in the proper order.

I hope that helps  :P

• Brohoof 1

Discord's introduction is always a solid choice, simply because of how fun and mysterious Discord was, as a character. But, taking into account the trope you mentioned, maybe a Luna episode would be better?

Whenever I try to convince people of the show's merit, I tend to mention things that might surprise or interest them, which usually leads to me talking about the funnier, darker, or more actiony aspects of the show--like Discord, Tirek, Starlight Glimmer, and other things that you wouldn't typically find in a show for little girls.

• Brohoof 2

Suited for Success. 

Takes a character who had done little before and whos base archetype is a usually negatively portrayed one... and shows you all the ways she's a great person, shows you her passion, her generosity and love for her friends and utter dedication. Shows you so many aspects of Rarity as a character really, possibly shows you more about the staring character than any other episode.

And it has an incredible song too.

NOT the best episode to introduce someone though but I think it's the best episode of the series even now.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 2

Suited for Success.

I must say that's an interesting  pick. I personally didn't see this as a that great of an episode but I see your point. Still, as you said to really appreciate the episode one must be more acquainted with show and characters.

Return of Harmony
Discord's introduction is always a solid choice

Is it really? Personally I find the episodes kind of lackluster with some major plotholes. I agree that Discord used to be very fun character but I think that introducing someone through those episode might be cause for some major confusion to a newcomer. While I don't think it's a  bad suggestion, I'd say that if shown to someone like that it has 50/50 success/failure ratio. Idk, maybe I'm just over-analysing. Anyway, thanks for suggetions.

Edited by Broken Gear