Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the Crystal Empire a reference to Russia?

Chara

We all know that Russia and America in the 1900's were the biggest of enemies at the time, would King Sombra and his reign over the Crystal Empire be a reference to the Soviet Union? Later on when King Sombra was defeated by the Mane 6 or the first time would that also be a reference to the fall of the Soviet Union?

This is just what I noticed, maybe this isn't a reference but I made some connection but this kind of concerns me a lot.

Edited by Zach

The Crystal Empire is in the Arctic North. And Russia too is in the Arctic... but other than that, I am not sure. The Crystal Empire was a prosperous place before King Sombre took over, not sure if we could say the same for Russia.

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe that the crystal empire is a reference to russia. The crystal empire is tiny compared to what the sovjet union was, and i don't see ANY russian traditions what so ever. Although that connection is true, there are just too few similarities

Edited by Gentleman Blaze

Russia? I don't think so. My headcanon is that Crystal Empire used to be the most powerful empire until mix of corruption/bad administration and outside threat lead to its downfall; exists now only as essentially a city state and its power more symbolic than actual. It's not confirmed whether Sombra was a corrupt Crystal Empire monarch or invader (comics aren't canon if they answered this question). I kind of see it as the former Roman Empire.

(Somewhat relevant, my interpretation of MLPFIM world if translated to Earth. Pink being current Crystal Empire)

(If questioning why Crystal Empire isn't in the far north, it is located in mountainous regions)

mlp_fim_earth__canon_interpretation__01_

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna