Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions we should be alerted if somepony replies to our topic

ASGARDIANBRONY
Go to solution Solved by Lightwing,

when somepony replies to a topic we posted we should get an alert like when somebody quotes us. this would make it easier to keep up to date on topics we started.

After you have started and posted your topic click to follow button at the top of the page, this will notify you as soon as somepony else posts a reply to it

• Brohoof 1

Maybe there could be an option under the settings menu to "auto follow your own topics" or something like that? That way people who have a lot of popular topics aren't opening the forums to a full notifications box if they don't check that option, but at the same time, people with less topics can still keep up with what everyone has to say bout their thread.

• Brohoof 4

At the top of every thread on this forum, there is a button on the far right that is titled "Follow This Topic".

post-14906-0-51928600-1450215253.jpg

Then, you can choose how you want to recieve notifications of replies.

post-14906-0-36482800-1450215316.jpg

post-14906-0-16241600-1450215343.jpg

It's really quite easy.

• Brohoof 3

After you have started and posted your topic click to follow button at the top of the page, this will notify you as soon as somepony else posts a reply to it

Yes, but it tells me in email, not in the actual inbox though. 

Yes, but it tells me in email, not in the actual inbox though. 

If you click the notification button, At the very top it says.

Notifications  View All Notifications · Options

Click on options and it will go to the notification options.   You can choose what to get notified about and how to get notified.

I turned all my email notifications off.

I dont know if it will be the same for you but here is what my address bar says on that page.

https://mlpforums.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications

EDIT:  Apparently you can click on ANY of the link i posted to go there also.  Had no idea it would do that until i posted this.  Cool.

Edited by CodeHell
  • Brohoof 1

This is a good chance to explain better how does the notification system works when it comes to followed topics, to avoid future doubts.

As multiple people have pointed out, at the top of every thread/section, there is a button that allows you to "Follow" that specific thread/section, which you can set up to send you notifications whenever it is updated:
sig-4274401.sig-4274401.sig-4274401.yYrw

But multiple people have pointed out that, even after doing this, they still don't get notifications. Now, why don't they? This is what I will clear out.

For starters, let's go to the Notification Options. You can go either through My Settings -> Notification Options:
sig-4274401.sig-4274401.sig-4274401.fuUG
Or through your own Notification window, and clicking on Options:

sig-4274401.sig-4274401.sig-4274401.ds97
On this window, you will be presented with multiple options to customize your Notifications at your own liking, but, as people here have pointed out that they don't receive notifications even when they follow a topic, let's use that as an example:

• As you can see, multiple sections exist. Topics & Posts. Status Updates, Profiles & Friends... For now let's focus on Topics & Posts:sig-4274401.sig-4274401.sig-4274401.0MFG

• It's easy to see how does it work. Left Row boxes refer to the Notification Box, and Right Row refers to the E-Mails that you receive whenever something happens. If you want to receive notifications whenever someone posts on a topic that you follow, just click on the left box near "Notification method to use for replies to followed topics ", and if you want to receive notifications when it comes to sections that you follow, do the same on "Notification method to use for topics in followed forums ". When you enable them, it should look like this:sig-4274401.sig-4274401.sig-4274401.gxCf
  • Of course, more options of customization exist, like the capacity of set up how will this notifications appear, with the options of Inmediate (Sent in the moment they are posted), Online(Sent only when you are online), and Daily Digest/Weekly Digest (sort of a compilation of notifications after a Day/Week), an option to follow instantly topics where you post and many more, which are intuitive and shouldn't be a hard job to see what do they do.
  • Once you are done with all the settings that you want to change, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on "Save Changes".

Now you will receive Notifications for the Section/Forums that you are following. If you did it correctly, and you have your notifications set to "Inmediate" or "Online", you should start to see this kind of notifications when people posts on threads:
sig-4274401.sig-4274401.sig-4274401.6VMd

This is why some people weren't receiving any notifications even when they followed topics. With this said, I hope that any doubt that anyone could have about this has been resolved.

Edit: and @ASGARDIANBRONY, this should help you with your problem of not receiving notifications.

Edit 2: issue resolved and all doubts that could exist have been covered, so this thread can be locked c:

• Brohoof 5