Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Why is Activision so ignored? (And why they shouldn't be!)

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Activision is, to me, the worst publisher in the entire gaming industry. They consistently publish games that often feel like cash grabs or low effort garbage, despite being the richest publisher out there. Call of Duty is still rife with problems, nearly all of their published movie and TV show tie ins are terrible and they have spammed several series into the ground, like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk, only to revive Tony Hawk and allow the worst game in the entire franchise. 

post-8308-0-63334400-1456175767.png

The most usual subjects of hate that I see in the gaming industry are: EA, Konami, Capcom, and Ubisoft. While I do think that EA and Konami are justified for the most part, and to a lesser extent Capcom, I see Ubisoft getting torn apart for a few mistakes and thus they are always mentioned in the negative light, while I almost never see Activision in these lists. 

To give an example of this:

Star Wars Battlefront has a $50 season pass but no microtransactions, the gaming community was very angry that it had that season pass. Halo 5 has microtransactions, but no season pass. Once gain, gamers were fairly irritated by this. Then, Call of Duty Black Ops 3, a $60 game, has both microtransactions AND a $50 season pass upfront, which by the way was announced alongside the game itself. You see where there doesn't make much sense? Activision is clearly doing the worst of the 3 and does it more often but they are never mentioned. 

post-8308-0-94853500-1456175767.png

Here is another example:

Ubisoft released Assassin's Creed Unity in a buggy, unfinished state. This one game, which was fixed later, has apparently just put the entire company on the blacklist for some gamers, despite wonderful titles like Rayman and Child of Light. So anytime I hear a new game is announced by Ubisoft, I see many gamers automatically saying that since it is Ubisoft, it can't be good. Then when Activision announces a new Ninja Turtles game, for $50 by the way, people get all excited and happy, even though The Legend of Korra, a similar game, was published by Activiion and developed by Platinum Games, the same team that is making the new Turtles game, and that game was just a mediocre cash-in. Yet gamers don't seem to remember this. Not to mention the countless other cash ins on franchises that could have good games. 

post-8308-0-36529300-1456175768_thumb.png

Even terrible games like Tony Hawk 5 and Destiny, with their horrendous practices and nonsense, people just blame the devs and not Activision who is calling the shots. I can guarantee you that Destiny could have been amazing if not for Activision meddling with all of it.

post-8308-0-89369700-1456176184_thumb.png

Not enough? How about this:

Battlefield 4, a very technically good game (after its launch) has dedicated servers. Black Ops 3 and all of the other COD games, do not have dedicated servers, despite selling more than Battlefield every time. 

post-8308-0-48591600-1456176183_thumb.png

Another good example of Activision's nonsense is how they will have games from other consoles be ported over and ported over with literally no enhancements whatsoever. Deadpool and Prototype got this treatment. The Xbox One versions are no different than the 360 versions and in the case of Prototype, it actually functions worse thanks to poor optimization, yet Activision STILL let that pass and charges insane amounts of money for a game that old. Not mention, Duck Dynasty the video game exists and they also want to charge you $50 for Angry Birds on consoles. Seriously?

post-8308-0-22332500-1456176184_thumb.png

Activision is the perfect example of pure greed and they clearly do not care about gaming, they just want out money and will push out garbage to get it. Why don't gamers bring this horrible company to light more often? I cannot stress enough how horrible this company is. 

post-8308-0-52218900-1456176380_thumb.png

Regardless of what gamers thing about EA and Ubisoft, those two companies publish better games than Activision, period. Activision's greed and horrible nature is a plague on gaming. The gaming community as a whole NEEDS to realize this and it needs to STOP ignoring Activision.

• Brohoof 4

Activision just don't care. They don't care about the gamers or anyone else's viewers expect theirs. All they want is money and they'll do it anyway they can. An example of this is how they brought the right to make spongebob games and Heavy Iron Studios who were known for making brilliant spongebob games on the ps2.

So when the time came that they could make another amazing spongebob game that would get them tons of money, they choosed to go for the cheaper route and had someone else make the game instead and the game turned out to be the worst. Not to mention that the game is boring as hell, buggy and goes at the price of $40 for a game that'll take you about 2 hours to complete.

• Brohoof 2

Not sure I follow. Activision gets torn apart by gamers on a regular basis. Between bullshit like the recent Spiderman and Tony Hawk releases, CoD, Destiny, and Guitar Hero, and forcing so many talented devs(High Moon, Neversoft, Raven, to name a few) to work on CoD Map packs, Activision is just as hated as EA and Ubisoft

Ubisoft released Assassin's Creed Unity in a buggy, unfinished state. This one game, which was fixed later, has apparently just put the entire company on the blacklist for some gamers, despite wonderful titles like Rayman and Child of Light. So anytime I hear a new game is announced by Ubisoft, I see many gamers automatically saying that since it is Ubisoft, it can't be good. Then when Activision announces a new Ninja Turtles game, for $50 by the way, people get all excited and happy, even though The Legend of Korra, a similar game, was published by Activiion and developed by Platinum Games, the same team that is making the new Turtles game, and that game was just a mediocre cash-in. Yet gamers don't seem to remember this. Not to mention the countless other cash ins on franchises that could have good games. 

*Platinum fanboy powers activate!*

People are excited because of the developer. Platinum's known for their work on games like Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Metal Gear Rising, Madworld, and recently Transformers Devastation(to name a few), all of which have been exceptionally well received, people have every reason to be excited for the game. Most of Korra's problems stems more from it's low budget compared to Platinum's other projects, which they seem to have avoided with Transformers

EDIT: Holy crap I really sound like I'm defending Activision don't I? :P

Edited by ChicksDigGiantRobots

• 3 months later...

Activision has struck again! A new Ninja Turtles game, subtitled Mutants in Manhattan, has been released, developed by Platinum Games, a developer that should have the action genre down like a science, but as we have previously seen with Legend of Korra, a horrendous publisher can ruin even wonderful dev teams.

Case in point, the new Ninja Turtles game, which by the way is $50. Yeah, that totally is not a giant cash in as always. It so far is receiving a rather less than stellar response from critics.

post-8308-0-77958300-1464274737_thumb.png

post-8308-0-90039100-1464274800_thumb.png

There is also a 45 point score from Destructoid that has not been applied to this yet, so once that happens, the score will drop further. All for a glorious $50 cash in! That somehow is turning out bad despite have friggin' Platinum Games at the helm!

Why can't Activision just disappear?

I will say this: Activision is forgiven a lot of the time because of saving graces they hold. While their TV, movie and sports tie in games are shit: can many people really claim different? TV, movie and a majority of sports tie in games are utter trash. So really no one is surprised by Activision doing that.

But Activision DOES hold Call of Duty, a franchise loved by many, AND they hold Blizzard Entertainment which produces amazing games. They have those saving graces and a lot of people pay more attention to those, sort of like Bioware and EA.

Had a lot of hope for TMNT after Transformers turned out so well. Something is wrong when even Destructoid trashes it. What the hell happened? TMNT and Platinum should've been a match made in Heaven

xgL4eSV.gif

Also Eiro Shirahama probably isn't that good of a director compared to Platinum's other top guys