Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why animated series? WHY!?

North Star

Is it just me or does the animated series change the official colours quite a bit. Trying to write a fic about G1 ponies and I must have checked and re-checked Medley's colours 100 times at this point, I get so confused over which colour she is meant to be. 

medley.thumb.png.bd6499ed5cf3762285462abf47bcb8ff.png

It's the same with Wind Whistler's allegedly pink eyes

1966991368_Wind_Whistler(1).webp.9dd6021f02cfdc76646441cd7bf22436.webp

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to Why animated series? WHY!?

That wiki is awful. And the screenshot from the animated series looks captured from VHS with all kind of artifacts.

Medley is green!

nightglider_medley.thumb.JPG.de5d759ec13003495dcb18f5836a6e8d.JPG

Nightglider to the left hand side showing a blue pony in comparison, and Medley to the right, is green!

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

That wiki is awful. And the screenshot from the animated series looks captured from VHS with all kind of artifacts.

Medley is green!

Nightglider to the left hand side showing a blue pony in comparison, and Medley to the right, is green!

aaagh maakit stop! will somepony please maakit stop (but thank you for the input :3 ):P

The OG pony is definitely a greener turquoise, as you show there and on the My Little Wiki it says she is green

but then there's things like this, which is an official badge :( which is such a blue turquoise as to basically be blue

MedleySticker.jpg.73b40dd87333d97a98d4a545f79e83df.jpg

but the Argentinian Medley is also bluer turquoise, though much less so than the badge, with a red mane for some reason, and then most EU models seem to have her as a bluer turquoise with the green mane like in the sticker

Redhair-argie-medley.jpg.b93dff8e20120c3a30ab97898a4fffcc.jpg

and in Midnight Castle she also appears to be a proper turquoise (slightly more green than blue) 

medley2.thumb.png.b2add273ac024d1f1778fdbce38a52f6.png

Or more specifically, Medium turqoise:  #48D1CC

48d1cc.png.650f838a2308229788e8bc40a7f95f17.png

I guess given that turquoise has an almost equal blue-green composition it's unsurprising that that fan wiki is confused (turquoise is even called Persian blue).

anyway mystery is solved! Medley is a smidge more green than blue because she is turquoise. 

6 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

.....Umm.....she looks blue enough to be called "blue" to me? FC52KBy.png And even if she's not actually blue, what purpose does this topic serve?

*deep breath* maaaak

*exhale* 

*deep breath* it

*exhale* 

*deep breath* stop

she's turquoise, which is an itty bitty smidgel more green than blue. 

but it is true that it is not the animated series' fault.

As for the purpose of the thread, it means that people can help me out with my confusion over pony colours and if other ponies are confused about the G1 colours then they can vent/receive help in this thread, I guess? It's not the first time I've been confused about the colours of the ponies when I've been trying to compare the animated series with the toy ponies and the description on the fan wiki. 

This is the fanfic I'm writing btw - I have added in turquoise Medley now and turquoise (and occasionally blue-green to diminish repetition) she shall stay.

Remember that the media of the time was nothing like what it is today, and as these things were not computer generated or assisted, but hand drawn, the color is at the mercy of the artist mixing the appropriate color for the character being animated. Worse still, the media on which the shows would have been stored for decades before migrating to any optical or digital format would have degraded to some extent. Shows going that far back are bound to have this problem.

• Brohoof 1

Yup, I forgive the animated series :P it's just I'd been back and forth on that one so much it was driving me crazy. 

https://mylittleponyg1.fandom.com/wiki/Medley <-- I even edited that wiki which is one of the top google results so it needs to get this right and not confuse fanfic writers :P (it had also misspelled Sprinkle Medley - bad wiki)

It doesn't help that her mane is *definitely* green, so her turquoise body will either look green or blue depending on what else is nearby to compare it to. You just know it's not the same *definitely* green as her mane, so your eyes play tricks on you trying to differentiate it.

And of course Argentina's Top Toys has come up in another topic in this forum as being notorious for randomly mixing mane and body colours, naming their toys off the cutie-mark alone and not caring about Hasbro's character models. :)

• Brohoof 2

• 11 months later...
On 2022-09-19 at 1:57 PM, Splashee said:

Medley is green!

I’m so jealous! I want nightglider!