Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Thoughts on Google FI

TheMaskMaker

Personally, I think that Google FI is going to throttle the three largest cellular carriers, and force them to cut their crap on these bogus contracts and agreements, by being excellent competition for them. I think the fact that the Google FI is currently NEXUS exclusive is holding the service back, considering your average consumer wants devices with that competitive, cutting edge (the new shiny toys that come out four times a year). At that same time, they're marketing to young adults who don't want to be forced into an agreement, don't use much in the way of mobile data, and need a cellular bill that fits their lifestyle. Personally, I use too much mobile data, and the service would become more expensive month-to-month than my current bill under and agreement.

The concept of leasing data packages from other carriers and distributing it from the nearest tower, in relation to the user, is hardly original; but the Google FI project seems to be making it abundantly clear that by using their competition (competition that's still overcharging their customers I might add), they can provide a cheap and manageable service without redundant fees and a mess of contractual hubub. Oddly enough, the services Google FI is modeled after failed to deliver on that concept.

Those are just my thoughts, working in the cellular industry as an employee for Google FI's largest competitor. I want a consumer point of view, and I'd love to know if anyone has tried it, and what they think.