Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sports Thoughts on boxing?

ManaMinori

How does everyone feel about this sport?

Frankly, i find it horrible and brutal. Guys beating the crap out of each other for sport and entertainment? Really speaks about what's wrong with the human race, for peope to enjoy this kind of thing.

Well at least people have to wear boxing gloves now, which slightly minimizes the chance of concussion. I don't think boxing is exactly horrible, there is actually some strategy involved in it. But still, most extreme contact sports aren't really my cup of tea.

Frankly, i find it horrible and brutal. Guys beating the crap out of each other for sport and entertainment? Really speaks about what's wrong with the human race, for peope to enjoy this kind of thing.

What's wrong about boxing? Boxing has been one of the oldest sports ever, dating at least 2500 year backs with possibly even older predecessors, and therefore it has deep cultural roots, and the modern variant of boxing and even other martial art brawls such as MMA, jiu-jitsu, muay thai, and wrestling are tightly regulated to make sure the contestants don't actually get life-threatening trauma, so before anyone complains that those combat sports are causing deaths, take note that the injuries and few deaths it causes are no different than injuries and few deaths from soccer or American football or snowboarding or any other contact sport.

That being said, as a person that's practiced taekwondo, these kind of combat sports and martial arts foster discipline, respect, and self-control. You don't see many MMA fighters go into a raging fury in the ring (those who do get the punishment they deserve); when they lose, they lose calmly and congratulate the winner. When they finish the fight with bruises and a bit of blood, they don't get angry. In fact, many are pretty content and calm. That's the difference between a professional fighter and a blindly raging thug.

And it's also a great tool for self-defense if you're seeking combat sports and martial arts as an amateur. You learn how to counter someone with weapons and escape with minimal injuries when the time comes for it. And most of all, you learn to hold back. This is not something you can merely learn in a few weeks.

Combat sports reveal the reserved and disciplined side of humanity and not so much their hateful and aggressive side. Even then, how is watching violence bad? It's perfectly natural to love seeing violence, and in fact modern sports were established so people can enjoy these "violent" sports without anyone actually getting seriously hurt. It's not like most of us are out there to seek harming others.

• Brohoof 1

There's nothing wrong with boxing that I can see, I don't personally enjoy the sport but when it comes down to it both people have agreed to punch each other and could call it off at any moment. And your not exactly forced to watch it if you don't want to

There's nothing wrong with boxing that I can see, I don't personally enjoy the sport but when it comes down to it both people have agreed to punch each other and could call it off at any moment. And your not exactly forced to watch it if you don't want to

so because I'm not forced to watch it I can't have an opinion on it?

Nice

I get having an opinion. I get not liking something.

But Muhammad Ali JUST died and you have to make a disrespectful topic about how you hate boxing and how people like him are "what's wrong with the human race". You couldn't have made this topic a week ago? Or even a week from now?

No offense, and as I said you're entitled to your opinion, but when you time your opinion so poorly, expect some backlash. This is like walking into a funeral of a great artist and saying art isn't a real career.

Boxing is a sport that people enjoy. Just because it's based on combat doesn't mean it's barbaric or some shit like that

This thread couldn't be any more poorly timed or tasteless

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

You're posting this topic right after Muhammad Ali died? Seriously? I'm not saying you can't share your opinion, but this could've been posted at a much better time..

Edited by PonyLaces
  • Brohoof 1

It develops coordination and upper body strength, not to mention is useful in certain self-defense scenarios.

The part about sport and entertainment is just showmanship and it's consensual, as with many martial arts and competitive sports. Injuries come with the territory and referees will usually stop a fight before it gets messy.

I practiced jiu jitsu and some MMA back in the day and even though i had my ass handed to me in a tournament (the only one I participated) i pretty much took it with dignity. I can assure you I wasn't "beaten the crap" out of, once i was knocked out it was over, i got treated immediately, and the other guy and i never shared hard feelings or anything.

• Brohoof 1

I get having an opinion. I get not liking something.

But Muhammad Ali JUST died and you have to make a disrespectful topic about how you hate boxing and how people like him are "what's wrong with the human race". You couldn't have made this topic a week ago? Or even a week from now?

No offense, and as I said you're entitled to your opinion, but when you time your opinion so poorly, expect some backlash. This is like walking into a funeral of a great artist and saying art isn't a real career.

That being said, Muhammad Ali was far from "brutal and violent". Despite being a famous and extremely skilled boxer, he was staunchly anti-war, pro-human and civil rights, and if you want to go further he could even be seen as pacifist. When he got drafted for Vietnam he strongly refused to serve, and at the time that was a very bold statement, especially since he was an African American and desegregation only happened a few years ago. He was willing to risk his career and risk going to prison to defend his beliefs, and thankfully the Supreme Court defended him in the end.

And even after his boxing career he supported organizations that fought diseases and cancer. He taught others the meaning of boxing and other combat sports. And he encouraged African Americans to follow their dreams in sports. Needless to say, Muhammad Ali was just as big of a figure as MLK or Fannie Lou Hamer or W.E.B. Du Bois.

• Brohoof 2

Anything for money, right?

Boxing is violent, no doubt about it but the truth is that human beings all have natural aggression and I would rather have that natural aggression geared toward sports like boxing than wars, riots, ect...Controlled aggression given the right circumstances can help a great deal with channeling this away from brutalizing innocent people, though it is not an easy task.

• Brohoof 1

Boxing isn't that bad. Both parties are going it because they want to and there's strict rules for them to follow.

It isn't my cup of tea but it is hardly an example of what's wrong with the human race.

(edited)

ehh...Its not quite the same sort of beating up...

What? Tackling someone as hard as possible in order to stop them from running definitely seems like a form of 'beating up.' 

Anyway, OP I think you're just being too sensitive. Yes, humans like watching fighting and violence, but who cares? Most people like watching it, not being involved in it. So if you're trying to say that we're all inherently aggressive and just want to smash everything as a species, you're wrong. And doesn't the fact that we've created strict rules around the fighting highlight that we actually care about the well-being of the fighters? It's not as if we actually want them to die.

Also, like others have said, you couldn't have timed this thread at a worse time.

Edited by Holiday
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have no problem with boxing or any violent sport. With things being so watered down and homogenized these days, it's nice to know that there are still at least a few venues where you can see some good old fashioned fisticuffs. 

In all likelihood, the sport would have been done away with long ago, but with sports now such big money enterprises, it'll probably last a good long time. Maybe not the best reason for such a sport to be perpetuated, but at least something keeps it around. And, if nothing else, it is strongly regulated, for what it's worth. It's not like the roman Colosseum with gladiators fighting to the death. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

Now I'm going to leave OP's Poor timing in posting this thread up to a simple coincidence and just Get along with my view on Boxing.

Boxing is a fun and entertaining sport and the Athletes that compete in it train long and hard to be good at their trade. There's a big difference between someone strolling into a bar and throwing a punch and a champion learning every move set of his Opponent and training for months. In terms of its popularity, it's pretty easy to see why.Humans will always be invested in combat based entertainment, but when it's regulated (Like in High-Level Boxing), Competitors are in a much safer environment than other forms of entertainment.The infrequency of the Events (Once every 5 years) compared to over Major Sporting events, turns it into something people want to actually tune into watch big fights. If you look at how boxing has evolved, it used to be a lot more "Grey" and less "honourable" nowadays all that's gone.

But, Boxing is a sport as a whole is declining steadily in terms of Popularity and viewership and only Top Level Fights are getting the numbers needed to keep them alive. At this rate, boxing as a sport is starting to die out, and is slowly being replaced with alternatives like MMA.

Well at least people have to wear boxing gloves now, which slightly minimises the chance of concussion.

It's actually been proven that Boxing Gloves promote harder Punches, and actually put competitors at a higher risk of Damage and Concussion. Similarly to how American Footballers smash themselves harder with Helmets on :P

• Brohoof 1

Not a boxing fan, but I do enjoy wrestling & MMA. There's a certain intensity, yet air of grace about skilled hand to hand combat, seeing the ways an intelligent fighter will place a strike or a hold. It's the demonstration of mans fighting prowess, that weapons and machines aren't needed when the human body makes the greatest tool. And we live vicariously through that. That we can win that fight too. It's a healthy outlet for our aggression. That things can still be settled through physical ability, fighting skill & strategy.  It's the pinnacle of human physical achievement, combat sports is.

You want a form of entertainment to be ashamed of? Just about anything on MTV & VH1 has got you covered. 

You're posting this topic right after Muhammad Ali died? Seriously? I'm not saying you can't share your opinion, but this could've been posted at a much better time..

Who is Muhammad Ali? Some pro boxer or something? I never really know anything about celebrities.