Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2 Theories on Starlight Glimmer

Dameldut

I don't see HOW it could be a "For now, at least" scenario with Sunset XD

The writers have unambiguously put all their chips down on Sunset shimmer as their bet to push the EQG franchise given the past two movies: They're all in, putting all their faith and efforts into Pushing her as the central, everything revolving around her character of the franchise, with no plan B for the movie's narrative past her.

At this point its a Win or lose scenario: Were Sunset to flop in sales, they've put so much effort and resources behind her as the Point of the narrative that the series would have to tank before they'd retract her as the central character (Since they've set up nothing else as a fall back plotline if Sunset's fails to sell toys)

They did, didn’t they, and nor me nor you can do anything about it. This is how things are in entertainment industry: mistakes are made all the time, especially when content creators try and gauge something through their own lens or the lens of a hardcore sliver belonging to a greater fandom.

If you look at it that way, things like Shimmers and Glimmers are not just mistakes, they are inevitable mistakes that will wither away in time. Does this make me any less angry or frustrated? They are trying to force upon invested fans new characters that don’t know any new tricks and it’s making my blood boil. I’m angry because it feels like a damn Limbo, and I’m frustrated because there can be no real discussion about it. I don’t have objective data to substantiate my claims. The only things I have are my gut and what little I can discern from the fandom beyond our Brony sites.

You are right about EQG. Sunset has been made into the Mane-iest of the Mane characters. But I am wondering if this was done through a free decision by the writers themselves while H-Bro didn’t’ really care, or was it pushed by H-Bro? Then again, does it matter? If EQG falls, so will Sunset Shimmer since she has been substituted by Starlight in FIM. Do you think the same thing could have been done as easily for any of the Mane 6? Heck, they have even cut out Sunset’s song and left Twilight’s in. So if such a Mane-y character can be discarded and substituted, well, then I guess their type of character just ain’t as Mane-y as we thought it was. Guess it’s more like changing the underwear, huh: Fresh and clean, repeat, redeem!

They did, didn’t they, and nor me nor you can do anything about it. This is how things are in entertainment industry: mistakes are made all the time, especially when content creators try and gauge something through their own lens or the lens of a hardcore sliver belonging to a greater fandom.

If you look at it that way, things like Shimmers and Glimmers are not just mistakes, they are inevitable mistakes that will wither away in time. Does this make me any less angry or frustrated? They are trying to force upon invested fans new characters that don’t know any new tricks and it’s making my blood boil. I’m angry because it feels like a damn Limbo, and I’m frustrated because there can be no real discussion about it. I don’t have objective data to substantiate my claims. The only things I have are my gut and what little I can discern from the fandom beyond our Brony sites.

You are right about EQG. Sunset has been made into the Mane-iest of the Mane characters. But I am wondering if this was done through a free decision by the writers themselves while H-Bro didn’t’ really care, or was it pushed by H-Bro? Then again, does it matter? If EQG falls, so will Sunset Shimmer since she has been substituted by Starlight in FIM. Do you think the same thing could have been done as easily for any of the Mane 6? Heck, they have even cut out Sunset’s song and left Twilight’s in. So if such a Mane-y character can be discarded and substituted, well, then I guess their type of character just ain’t as Mane-y as we thought it was. Guess it’s more like changing the underwear, huh: Fresh and clean, repeat, redeem!

I don't think Sunset's role in Rainbow rocks was Hasbro mandated; From what I read her role was something they came up with during second drafts of the script and was almost a last second addition, with RD having a bigger role in the band. Basically they realized it was a good opportunity to have her be introduced as a mane character and went with it without hasbro asking for it (Look at how she has *Zero* toys in the original toyline of rainbow rocks and wasn't even on the cover)

Likewise, I Don't think her role in Friendship games was mandated by hasbro, simply by looking at the toys pushed: The shadowbolts come off as being hasbro mandated to have more toys to sell, but not sunset. Follow the toys is a good way to tell what's hasbro mandated and what's not after all.

I don’t have objective data to substantiate my claims. The only things I have are my gut and what little I can discern from the fandom beyond our Brony sites.

Well, toywise, FG didn't do so hot compared to RR, and there doesn't seem to be much of a focus on Sunny in the toylines as far as deluxe toys or whatnot goes (There's only 1 Sunset shimmer toy in the toyline so far while there's 3 different versions of the mane six so far in the minis), so I don't think there's much danger of her being hasbro mandated to be pushed more than the staff want to in the future.

Anecdotal I guess, but toys are a good money trail for things, and if Sunny was outcompeting the other 6 there'd probably be more toys of her at the moment.

Not saying that she's failing, but just it doesn't look like she's really beating the others much in sales if at all, probably just equal.

Do you think the same thing could have been done as easily for any of the Mane 6?

Not to say I want to see it, but playing devil's advocate here: they did that pretty well in the S5 finale with the other 5 being relegated to cameos, and apart from the S5 premier the other 5 have been fairly easily removed from the equation.

So its not that impossible for the other 5. Hell, That's been one thing pointed out about the EQG universe in that the other 5 are window dressing and superfluous. So if its working so far, they could possibly get by with writing them down to secondary characters.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think Sunset's role in Rainbow rocks was Hasbro mandated; From what I read her role was something they came up with during second drafts of the script and was almost a last second addition, with RD having a bigger role in the band. Basically they realized it was a good opportunity to have her be introduced as a mane character and went with it without hasbro asking for it (Look at how she has *Zero* toys in the original toyline of rainbow rocks and wasn't even on the cover)

Likewise, I Don't think her role in Friendship games was mandated by hasbro, simply by looking at the toys pushed: The shadowbolts come off as being hasbro mandated to have more toys to sell, but not sunset. Follow the toys is a good way to tell what's hasbro mandated and what's not after all.

Well, toywise, FG didn't do so hot compared to RR, and there doesn't seem to be much of a focus on Sunny in the toylines as far as deluxe toys or whatnot goes (There's only 1 Sunset shimmer toy in the toyline so far while there's 3 different versions of the mane six so far in the minis), so I don't think there's much danger of her being hasbro mandated to be pushed more than the staff want to in the future.

Anecdotal I guess, but toys are a good money trail for things, and if Sunny was outcompeting the other 6 there'd probably be more toys of her at the moment.

Not saying that she's failing, but just it doesn't look like she's really beating the others much in sales if at all, probably just equal.

Not to say I want to see it, but playing devil's advocate here: they did that pretty well in the S5 finale with the other 5 being relegated to cameos, and apart from the S5 premier the other 5 have been fairly easily removed from the equation.

So its not that impossible for the other 5. Hell, That's been one thing pointed out about the EQG universe in that the other 5 are window dressing and superfluous. So if its working so far, they could possibly get by with writing them down to secondary characters.

This is actually pretty fortunate if true. It is likely then that writers concocted these characters on their own and that there is no push from H-Bro to promote them, however; H-Bro has all the incentive to promote the Mane 6 (which they are doing of horse), and that is where the vanity of writers pushing their junk can get them in between our anvil and the hammer of their superiors.

The bad news is that shows and movies just have to be good enough to promote their toys, so unless our glorious writers screw the pooch with too much Starlight Shimmer inclusion, the dragons shall remain asleep on their money pile.

All said and written, I’m somewhat interested in the fourth EQG movie, especially when it comes to Twilight’s role. Corporate darling against the waifu of a few: now that is a dispute I’d like to see settled favorably once and for all.

About the Mane 5 getting shafted:

Well, that is nothing new. They are the champions of ordinary life, not some team of heroes and scientists that you see in shows like Flash and Arrow. In other words: they can’t get shit done. It’s just that they are now getting shafted in favor of some low priority background pony Mane character wannabes, and that puts some extra salt on the wound. However, they would never be allowed to get dethroned from their position while other ponies might not be as fortunate. So writers can howl and dance around their waifu effigies as much as they want, it won’t bring prosperity to their shitty creations. Supply and demand is just too strong for their zany magic.

• 1 year later...

I honestly think and hope that theory 2 will happen because it does make since that there are 6 elements and that one of them is forgiveness because in friendship you do need forgiveness but they probably will not write another theme song including Genorusity, Kindness,Loyalty,Laughter, Honesty, Magic AND Forgiveness because as much as me and probably everyone else would want star light to become an alicorn it would kinda be boring to watch again ya know? The editors added her for a reason and I wouldn't think they'd make it where we'd basically see Starlight becoming Twilight Id think they'd make it where she offered the element of forgiveness if you need more evidence go back to the first episode in the backstory it said that only 5 of them where found. But and you need to bare with me on this what if the 6th one hasn't been found yet because In these pictures it shows a green heart element or just a green element. If that's the case then who represents it? Starlight does and it makes since too because what did she need to learn? Forgiveness and friendship. Hope you agree 

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2073.PNG

On 4/2/2016 at 0:32 PM, Nuke87654 said:

Mainly for how a unicorn managed to handle her in the S5 finale. I don't think she's above Twilight as Starlight had plenty of advantages going for her in that battlefield in:

1. Had advanced warning Twilight is coming so she can prepare on the spot unlike Twilight who needs to go in there guns blazing to avoid an ice spell to the face.

2. Due to Starlight's mission, Starlight doesn't even need to fight her at all. She just simply has to alter the time events at even one moment to win.

3. Twilight cannot fight her for a long period of time or the filles will get distracted and thus time is altered.

It's not to say Starlight is a fraud, the fact she's able to even fight Twilight pretty evenly should tell you she's a powerhouse. But I do think those who say that Twilight is less powerful than Starlight aren't looking at the whole picture for Starlight's success.

That, and All Bottled Up heavily implied Starlight was temporarily "Hulked Up."