Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starlight Glimmer: Yay or Neigh?

TickySketchLots

Starlight is one of the best characters in the series IMO. When she was a villain in season 5, I thought she was the best villain in the show. Her as the leader of a little cult was very interesting and then when she came back for the season finale she had some great interactions with Twilight (That clap) and ended up creating some pretty dark alternate timelines.

Then when she reformed, not only is she cute, she also still had issues (Relying on magic too much, social issues, bottling up anger, etc). And while not my number one favorite character, I think she's the character I would get along with the best.

• Brohoof 2

19 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

Starlight is one of the best characters in the series IMO. When she was a villain in season 5, I thought she was the best villain in the show. Her as the leader of a little cult was very interesting and then when she came back for the season finale she had some great interactions with Twilight (That clap) and ended up creating some pretty dark alternate timelines.

Then when she reformed, not only is she cute, she also still had issues (Relying on magic too much, social issues, bottling up anger, etc). And while not my number one favorite character, I think she's the character I would get along with the best.

That is exactly why I like her too.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely one of my fav Ponies :> She's very close to the Mane Six like Spike and I see them as a part of the mane cast

What I really love about her how she's impacting the dynamic of the established characters and even connecting them deeper. Especially her connection to Twilight. I think both get much stronger and interesting character cause of this friendship

• Brohoof 1

I loved the episodes with Starlight and admittedly I saw her season 6 episode before her villain episodes so I'm going to have to say I can't imagine the show without Starlight.

Also loved her as a villain as it shown that any person has the potential to be a evil person.

Sure some people might not like her but F it, it's not like she was literally the worst character ever as I feel like I enjoyed almost all characters that I can remember.

5b5.gif

• Brohoof 2

Does anypony remember SabreSpark? He is an animation enthusiast and in the early 2010s he was a real committed Brony (he is still casually interested).

He does videos nowadays about how TV shows and studios loose their popularity and adding new characters to an already beloved show is a reoccurring problem for many of them. To me personally I feel like My Little Pony has avoided that. Mostly because they were always adding new characters to sell new toys (that's just how it was going to be), but also because most of the new characters had something to do to justify their introduction to the series. Starlight Glimmer was probably introduced better than any other new character in the show I ever saw.

28 minutes ago, Stancet said:

Does anypony remember SabreSpark? He is an animation enthusiast and in the early 2010s he was a real committed Brony (he is still casually interested).

He does videos nowadays about how TV shows and studios loose their popularity and adding new characters to an already beloved show is a reoccurring problem for many of them. To me personally I feel like My Little Pony has avoided that. Mostly because they were always adding new characters to sell new toys (that's just how it was going to be), but also because most of the new characters had something to do to justify their introduction to the series. Starlight Glimmer was probably introduced better than any other new character in the show I ever saw.

Can't say i'm a huge fan of SaberSpark but I will appreciate him for getting me into the fandom.

Moments ago, WildChildMirai said:

Can't say i'm a huge fan of SaberSpark but I will appreciate him for getting me into the fandom.

Do you mean you don't follow him, or is there something about him you don't agree with?

Moments ago, Stancet said:

Do you mean you don't follow him, or is there something about him you don't agree with?

Dont follow him and he just comes across as focusing on criticism of obscure movies nobody has probably heard about.

Like i'm not talking about Tangledeep obscure where he talks positively about some animations and highlights how awesome they are, but rather just trying to pick on something that doesn't need to be picked on.

If I wanted to go towards criticism of shitty animation i'd go find Mr Enter (He can be a bit dramatic though) or other channels dedicated to that.

1 minute ago, WildChildMirai said:

Dont follow him and he just comes across as focusing on criticism of obscure movies nobody has probably heard about.

Like i'm not talking about Tangledeep obscure where he talks positively about some animations and highlights how awesome they are, but rather just trying to pick on something that doesn't need to be picked on.

If I wanted to go towards criticism of shitty animation i'd go find Mr Enter (He can be a bit dramatic though) or other channels dedicated to that.

I kind of know what you mean. Those videos I tend to avoid but I like some other stuff SabreSpark has done (like his amazing VeggieTales episode).

Moments ago, Stancet said:

I kind of know what you mean. Those videos I tend to avoid but I like some other stuff SabreSpark has done (like his amazing VeggieTales episode).

Fair I can't say i'm dying to get back to watching him but i'll take your word for it.

I mainly focus on watching other stuff besides the animation channels since i've heard so much damn drama I just went out of it for a while. The only times I go back is if I wanna watch some new series but I might just turn to fourms for that.

9fc3c22ac17f88ca8ceb0e384d90d111.gif

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, ExplosionMare said:

(We really need more positive Glimmer emojis)

I just made more. E-Starlight_5.png I also promised to @Flutterstep some time ago that I will make them. I also made 2 Trixie ones while I was at it. E-Trixie_2.png She is awesome! E-Trixie_1.png

Haha, here is the rest: E-F-Starlight_1.png E-F-Starlight_2.png E-Starlight (1).png E-Starlight_3.png E-Starlight_4.png E-Starlight_6.png

I put them all on my profile, have fun with them! <3 E-Starlight_2.png

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

I really like her lmao Though I like her more when she's one of the good guys and not really when she was a villain. I feel the villain stuff was kind of overblown and corny with the "equality" thing, and her backstory for why she hated cutie marks so much felt very weak to me. I think it would've been really interesting if she perhaps DIDN'T have a cutie mark, like she was a really REALLY late bloomer or something, then the whole "being left behind" stuff would've been a stronger motivation. I'm not sure how well that would work out with her using magic to take everyone else's cutie marks but I'm not trying to seriously rewrite her story, I just think what's there is kind of meh :yeahno:

On the flip side though, as a good guy I love her! I love how she's this super powerful unicorn that rivals even Twilight's magic, but she's not always as morally uptight as the others lol I really don't like "goody-goody" characters, and it's so common for main characters to be morally righteous about literally everything, so seeing Starlight being unashamedly devious at times even when technically being "reformed" is great to me XD

I also love how sassy and savage she can be, it's just fun to watch LOL

Used to be a massive fan of her, I have to admit that my interest in her as a character is not what it used to be. I liked her more as a villain. I like her, but, I have a lot of issues with how she was written in the later seasons.

• Brohoof 1

Starlight Glimmer is one of those characters that I never got a feel for. I tend to like her, but I struggle to actually describe her. Her gimmick seems to be that she is too brash, and is obsessive over certain things like her magic, or the activities she used to partake in with Sunburst. Outside of that, she doesn't seem to have a whole lot going on; she seems much more at the mercy of the episode plots, post-reformation. Her relationships with Maud and especially Trixie are interesting, since they are much more "misfit" characters, so to speak. It is a nice contrast from the perhaps overtly-wholesome Mane Six. Even so, I think Starlight needed a more concrete goal than to learn friendship with Twilight, or to be a friendship councilor.

I honestly think she made a better villain that protagonist, even if I would still say that I like her in the end. Her obsessive, brash personality just seems to fit a villain better than a hero. I still vote Yay, but with a bit of an asterisk.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a villain: I like what we were given but she was SO underutilized. Considering she was the first two-parter villain to be just a normal everyday pony, it just wasn't as intense and interesting as that could have been. With her being pretty much on-par if not more magically powerful and skilled as Princess Twilight, I feel like there was a missed opportunity to explore Twilight's emotions about it - she would seem like the type to maybe get some imposter syndrome lol or at least feel anything about it at all with magical skill being her whole identity. And her motives don't totally seem to make sense with her villainous actions? But that might be kind of a nitpick I guess.

Her redemption arc was just bad. Far far too rushed and not at all earned. (Not that Starlight is irredeemable or anything - the writing itself didn't earn the ending it got.)

As a character: She's probably the best character in the show post-movie. Her and Trixie. As the show went on, you can tell the writers were running out of ideas for the Mane 6. My favorite episodes in those seasons are the Starlight ones, because she is a new character with different character traits, there's more room to write interesting scenarios with her than trying to find something for the Mane 6 to do that they haven't already done over the past 8 years. With Twilight getting more and more royal responsibilities, and especially after the Friendship School was instated, you can't even really write problems for the Mane 6 to have like they used to without just making them come off as irresponsible adults. I like how Starlight and co. were able to fill the narrative role Twilight did in the first few seasons while letting the other mane characters grow as people.

• Brohoof 1

Yay, 100%! Especially on my second major rewatch through the whole series, I appreciated her so much. I'm glad she was redeemed so that she could have more screentime. Especially now being an adult and rewatching, the humor and attitude she had really brought another level to the series, as her struggles felt more realistic in many ways. She wasn't as good at being good as the rest of the mane cast, and I enjoyed watching her struggle and growth. She felt almost like the Squidward of the show to me, not in that she's at all the same personality as Squidward, but in that as a child or teen, you watch Spongebob and you likely relate to Spongebob's exuberance. Then when you watch as an adult, Squidward is the most relatable! (I'm sure not everyone feels the same haha, but it's the best analogy I can come up with.)

Tl;dr: Starlight was such a fun, complex character to watch, and I'm very glad she joined the mane cast.

And just look at her lol, she's so fun:

image.gif.9fd956ee33a7f15fde75c94041af452e.gif

image.gif.ee14503c3e00033c28baeca79a202d27.gif

image.gif.2dff8a64d3df6f2921d99b74ff2f97e7.gif

image.gif.4aeaa2921ec5ed0b9e54a0a54a2a6cd2.gif

• Delighted Giggle 1

On 2023-12-14 at 2:03 PM, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

Yay, 100%! Especially on my second major rewatch through the whole series, I appreciated her so much. I'm glad she was redeemed so that she could have more screentime. Especially now being an adult and rewatching, the humor and attitude she had really brought another level to the series, as her struggles felt more realistic in many ways. She wasn't as good at being good as the rest of the mane cast, and I enjoyed watching her struggle and growth. She felt almost like the Squidward of the show to me, not in that she's at all the same personality as Squidward, but in that as a child or teen, you watch Spongebob and you likely relate to Spongebob's exuberance. Then when you watch as an adult, Squidward is the most relatable! (I'm sure not everyone feels the same haha, but it's the best analogy I can come up with.)

Tl;dr: Starlight was such a fun, complex character to watch, and I'm very glad she joined the mane cast.

And just look at her lol, she's so fun:

image.gif.9fd956ee33a7f15fde75c94041af452e.gif

image.gif.ee14503c3e00033c28baeca79a202d27.gif

image.gif.2dff8a64d3df6f2921d99b74ff2f97e7.gif

image.gif.4aeaa2921ec5ed0b9e54a0a54a2a6cd2.gif

The only bad ass pony

• Delighted Giggle 1

Neigh.

Here and here is why.

The fact that the G5 writers want the main characters to be more faithful to the spirit to Friendship is Magic than a selfish self centered character who has the power to literally change anything out of spite is much more better than anything we've seen in the last 4 seasons of Friendship is Magic.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1