Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

1000 Years (Two Sisters EP)

DryftMusic

Ok. 

It's a nice track. 

Kudos to using a 4-chord progression, but why not vary it up? Because you're using 4 chords, you've got 23 other ways to order them. 

Here's what you have:

vi-V-ii-IV

Why not use the I chord or switch to the relative minor key to D Major (which is the key your piece is in)?

Here are some other progression suggestions

vi-I-IV-V

vi-I-V-IVM7

iim7-IV-vi-V

Nice intro. Love those sweeping out synth-strings. They offer that nice build-up. However, be sure not to peak them too much out of the filter, as the high-end noise could distract and disturb your listener. 

In terms of the piano, why not do 16th note arpeggios after your blocked chords and maybe an upper note lick? It could add more flavor to the piece. Love the reverb effects on the piano though. They give the piano that nice atmospheric tone that can be associated with the two sisters.

The trumpet however, could be subbed for a nice synthesized sawtooth brass lead. Make sure the sawtooth isn't too loud. Increase attack time to make it sound like a real brass instrument. The trumpet that you have seemed drowned out by the synth string pads. By subbing the trumpet out for a sawtooth brass, it could give your piece that bright edge. I see you had the trumpet in a filter and swept it out. Yet again, when swept out, it sounded like the trumpet had a little too much high-end. 

I wouldn't have that plucked instrument playing the same melody as the trumpet. It would be better for it to be playing arpeggiated chords over the trumpet according to the progression you're running. I would also have some moving strings here to give it a bit of drive. Better yet, have the moving strings in a filter and slowly sweep them out. Make sure these strings are real strings, not synth strings. 

That ending was quite awkward. You swept a brass-like patch out of a filter that was very sharp in terms of sound. It also sounded like you had a rolling gong in there too. This ending was kind of abrupt. There wasn't really any lead into it. Perhaps you could've had tremolo strings crescendoing. Then, bring in crescendoing brass. Have them peak all at once and quickly cut. Have the piano play a simple melody ending on a high note. While this is going, have your low strings accompany the piano. 

All in all, it's a good piece but it could use quite a bit of work.