Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Journal of the Two Sisters - Discussion

TenorSounds

(edited)

I have read both books on digital, I will say for the journal of friendship I am glad to read what pinkie pie wrote in pinkie pride, the apple family finally have an agreement after pinkie apple pie. On spikes part, even though we know what he said after power ponies, he could have mention it in the book, all I see was images in comic format. The journal of two sisters is right now my favorite, for like everyone says it gives a back story on celestia and Luna, Luna's entries have been entertaining.

One of y'all posted that the journal stops before the luna event, and other events, in my view sure it could have had more entries, but it would be more about celestia. Also think of it, they are princesses so they must have been very busy to keep up writing in it, and also, would celestia keep writing after she banished her own sister to the moon? No, which is why (in theory) after that event she just got her stuff and guards and left the castle of two sisters and built a new one on that mountain that we now see today.

That's what I think.

Overall I like these two books, they are entertaining. Now can't wait for the daring do books to come out soon.

I agree. I think it would be too painful for Celestia to continue the journal after banishing Luna. She obviously wanted to move to forget the banishment. And it was a shared journal so they can each easily see what the other is writing so why would they write the worry/jealously they were feeling? I think they would want to hide those emotions from each other. I think Luna in particular would want to hide her jealousy of Celestia. 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I liked this book a lot. I'll just ramble some of my jumbled thoughts about it:

- This all happened before the battle with Discord so that means that at some point he takes over Equestria and the Princesses have to take it back. It would have made more sense to me if they defeated him first. That would have been a good reason for the other ponies to ask them to be the leaders.

- It's been theorized that Commander Hurricane was male. "He" was called "he" in the book but they only used the pronoun once so now I'm wondering if it was a mistake. 

- So zebras are from beyond the everfree forest. Why is everything from beyond the everfree forest? This world does have other continents, you know. On the map we can see everything that surrounds the everfree forest. I'm wondering if it's full of portals. Anyway we know now that zebras are "ponyfolk" and that they have cutie marks.

- Now we know that Celestia and Luna are born-icorns while Twilight and Cadence are transform-icorns. (Just trying to make my own stupid terns stick). But we still don't know if their lifespans have been extended.

Just received and finished reading my copy of the book today.  There is ONE big flaw I have found wit h the book....The hardbound cover of the book is upside down AND backwards!!!! What the Hay is going on?   Am I the only one with a copy of the book with this problem?

Well it's a misprint. That means it's potentially valuable.

Edited by Fluttershutter
  • Brohoof 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBTp1mts190&feature=youtu.be

Here is a quick video I took of it.

So. Weird.

Anyway I really loved this book! :D World building, a story about Celestia and Luna as fillies THAT WASN'T A FANFIC, etc! :D Also I'm certain Celie's anger at the end foreshadows something...maybe that was part of how Luna became Nightmare Moon somehow.  :o I hope there's another one or something like it at some point!! :D

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amy Keating Rogers has officially stated in interview that the book was a look into the Equestria's past, showing the interactions between Celestia, Luna, Starswirl, and the main six ponies from Hearth's Warming Eve (Chancellor Puddinghead, Smart Cookie, et al). On top of this, AKR noted that before she wrote the book, she had a planning session with Lauren Faust that outlined Faust's original intentions for Equestria's far past.

I feel this is a strong case for considering The Journal of the Two Sisters canon.

• Brohoof 2

I have my suspicions that Princess Platinum is actually Chrysalis. I also never quite realized how powerful a unicorn Star Swirl is; it's nice to see him doing something instead of just being mentioned in lore.

Amy Keating Rogers has officially stated in interview that the book was a look into the Equestria's past, showing the interactions between Celestia, Luna, Starswirl, and the main six ponies from Hearth's Warming Eve (Chancellor Puddinghead, Smart Cookie, et al). On top of this, AKR noted that before she wrote the book, she had a planning session with Lauren Faust that outlined Faust's original intentions for Equestria's far past.

I feel this is a strong case for considering The Journal of the Two Sisters canon.

That really sounds great to me, though it really makes me wonder about some things in the book like the Zebra nation being on the other side of the Everfree. I'm not exactly sure what that means; though considering time the Everfree was probably MUCH larger than it is today.

Still, thanks for sharing. :)

The age spell Star Swirl used actually makes me strongly reconsider the Alicorn sisters immortality. It also makes me wonder whether Princess Platinum is an early Queen Chrysalis infected by the Nightmares.And lastly, the fact that NMM injured the manticore that was basically her and Celestia's best friends... it's kinda awful. :o

The age spell Star Swirl used actually makes me strongly reconsider the Alicorn sisters immortality. It also makes me wonder whether Princess Platinum is an early Queen Chrysalis infected by the Nightmares.And lastly, the fact that NMM injured the manticore that was basically her and Celestia's best friends... it's kinda awful. :o

To be fair, the Journal implies that the sisters are not immortal; they just age much differently from the other pony races.

To be fair, the Journal implies that the sisters are not immortal; they just age much differently from the other pony races.

True, but with that spell, they could live thousands of years, potentially forever, and look the same age. I wonder if that's a part of the spell Twilight got her hands on...

Out of curiosity, where do you get that idea about Princess Platinum? I've never really seen anything that would hint at something like that.

(edited)

I still have to finish the Friendship Journal section of the book.

But I really did enjoying reading the backstory of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

Maybe they are trying to destroy that notion that Celestia and Luna are immortal?
Than again... technically they need to be, seeing as they're the only two strong enough to raise and lower the moon. (Well, except Twilight and her Alicorn magic, she can raise and lower both as well)

But, if Celestia and Luna were to die, then we'd be right back at square one, where earlier in the book the unicorns needed them and 6 other unicorns in order to just raise and lower the sun and/or the moon, and the magic use was excruciating and left them out of commission for a while.

Edited by Shadowking58

Out of curiosity, where do you get that idea about Princess Platinum? I've never really seen anything that would hint at something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvCVELxYOPE

Chrysalis is an alicorn, but Celestia never hints at knowing another alicorn, let alone an evil one, which leads me to believe it's not a natural transformation. She also knows the caves beneath Canterlot, but has been around long enough for ponies to have forgotten them, meaning that she would have had to have been around for a really long time(several generations, if NMM is any account). If she was in/around Canterlot without raising suspicion... she would probably be a unicorn, diversity is uncommon in Equestria, save Ponyville.

Then again, it's possible the changelings are a natural species, although it doesn't seem possible considering what they feed off of(they would've starved to death if they existed before/around the three tribes, for instance.) I'm just seeing if I can piece this together, really.

Chrysalis is an alicorn, but Celestia never hints at knowing another alicorn, let alone an evil one, which leads me to believe it's not a natural transformation. She also knows the caves beneath Canterlot, but has been around long enough for ponies to have forgotten them, meaning that she would have had to have been around for a really long time(several generations, if NMM is any account). If she was in/around Canterlot without raising suspicion... she would probably be a unicorn, diversity is uncommon in Equestria, save Ponyville. Then again, it's possible the changelings are a natural species, although it doesn't seem possible considering what they feed off of(they would've starved to death if they existed before/around the three tribes, for instance.) I'm just seeing if I can piece this together, really.

I don't know, sounds a little far-fetched to me. I don't really think Chrysalis is an alicorn, it just so happens that changlings have horns and wings like alicorns do. And there's been nothing to hint at Princess Platinum being Chysalis, based on your theory literally any unicorn in Canterlot could have become Chrysalis.

In addition, the comics show that Chrysalis and her changlings can feed on beings other than ponies, as long as they have emotions (and if I remember correctly from when they're introduced, changlings can feed on any emotion, it's just love is the 'strongest').

I don't know, sounds a little far-fetched to me. I don't really think Chrysalis is an alicorn, it just so happens that changlings have horns and wings like alicorns do. And there's been nothing to hint at Princess Platinum being Chysalis, based on your theory literally any unicorn in Canterlot could have become Chrysalis.

In addition, the comics show that Chrysalis and her changlings can feed on beings other than ponies, as long as they have emotions (and if I remember correctly from when they're introduced, changlings can feed on any emotion, it's just love is the 'strongest').

Really? I only remember them feeding on love, with Chrysalis being able to steal magic in the comics. But you're right; it's an entirely possible there's other creatures out there that use magic. Moving away from fan theories... where do they mention the alicorn race? I don't remember seeing a mention...

Really? I only remember them feeding on love, with Chrysalis being able to steal magic in the comics. But you're right; it's an entirely possible there's other creatures out there that use magic. Moving away from fan theories... where do they mention the alicorn race? I don't remember seeing a mention...

They don't explicitly mention it, but in the beginning of the book Celestia mentions how Alicorns age differently than other ponies, and they get their cutie marks much later as-well. Based on her wording it makes it seem like she was fairly confident about this information, and she had to have gotten this knowledge from somewhere. That wouldn't really make sense if they were the only alicorns up to that point, which leads me to believe there were others.

I guess they could have just acquired the knowledge magically when they 'became' alicorns, but until it's clarified I think the theory of an actual alicorn race is a good place-holder.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It never occurred to me that this WOULDN'T be canon. Why would one of the main writers of the show write a book full of history if it wasn't meant to be?

Because people are hesitant to accept ANYTHING other than the show itself as canon, even if it is officially sanctioned (the comics, anyone?) mostly because head-canon is a very fragile thing and can lead to catastrophic effects for the individual if it's ever broken.

i.e. they are being big babies about it.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 1

There's at least one statue of an Alicorn in their old castle; the build of which is much more horse-like then the ponies in the show (possibly reminiscent of previous generations; I dunno)

Spike_sees_an_alicorn_horse_statue_S4E03

• Brohoof 1

There's at least one statue of an Alicorn in their old castle; the build of which is much more horse-like then the ponies in the show (possibly reminiscent of previous generations; I dunno)

Spike_sees_an_alicorn_horse_statue_S4E03

Nice find; though not all statues will be accurate representations of the people they were meant to memorialize; if you will.

Still though, that does make me wonder WHO they were trying to show here...unless its like the griffon statues at the Crystal Empire library.

So many questions... <3

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Did that manticore seem familiar to you too?

Composite of the manticore the mane6 found in the pilot, and a bit of the dragon in Dragonshy. I also noticed Cely and Woona are composite of the mane6 themselves

Celestia:

-Has Twily's love of books

-Hard work initiative like AJ

Luna:

-Flutty's tact and understanding of creatures

-Pinkie's eagerness for pranks 

-Rarity's taste in gems

I haven't seen who has some character from Dashie, but I spoiled a bit in tvtropes and says that Celestia loves to fly fast

• 8 years later...

The alicorn town where Cellie and Woona, what would be later be known as Canterlot , has been officially named :fluttershy:

Spoiler

Another alicorn from there revealed also :oh_golly: