Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there a difference in character development?

ManaMinori

If a fandom can look at a series and take a background character who was never intended to be developed or even given a name by its creators, and give fandom personality to them, then should it be expected that people of that fandom treat characters of past incarnations of the franchise (or its merch line) with the same creativity?

Expected, I wouldn't say so. If the character is undeveloped or in need of a personality that the creators didn't give initially, then sure they deserve to be treated with creativity. Not so much with merchandise, it would take longer and you would have to go through a lot of steps.

Indeed, but FiM BG ponies are relatively new and I personally, don't know any other previous gens and many others too. If Hasbro does make an nostalgic character cameo in future appearances in the episodes, I'm pretty sure the fandom will create their needed characterization. Same for the toy lines too, if any pony goes cannon than the possibilities are opened too.

(edited)

Indeed, but FiM BG ponies are relatively new and I personally, don't know any other previous gens and many others too. If Hasbro does make an nostalgic character cameo in future appearances in the episodes, I'm pretty sure the fandom will create their needed characterization. Same for the toy lines too, if any pony goes cannon than the possibilities are opened too.

was it that obvious that I was referring to FiM's fandom? (Was trying to make op as vague as possible, since there are creatives in every fandom, not just FiM. I assume other fandoms develop the "Namless", too....

Trying to keep this thread out of Sugarcube Corner and off mod radar, since I have a number of topics active in there right now)

I get the new, shiny hype, and not all fans of one reboot of a franchise will like previous ones, you would think that there would be SOME who don't discriminate, and go nuts with finfing characters in past reboots who didn't get proper characters, and fill the gaps with headcnon

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

I agree that every character in a franchise should be treated with the same creative genius as relevant ones. (opps. I didn't knew that this was in Beyond Equestria :o)

right on. Of course, I agree. You know of any franchises (besides the obvious, now that you brought it up) who (1) have characters who don't have much in the way of characterization or backstory, and background charas who are never meant to be named/developed and (2) have fandoms that likes to take it upon themselves to flesh them ot?