Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A few questions about a Ponysona

Brony Mata

Long story short, I have been a brony for a year and a few months and I still do not have a ponysona. I have no art skills, but that is okay, I found this - 

http://generalzoi.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Creator-v3-545889253

I was never one for these little character creation flash games, but my past attempts to get help with a ponysona have failed, so I decided this was good enough. The thing is this doesn't exactly come with a manual - that was sarcasm, I don't need a manual, I just have a few questions. I'll list them

- How should I make him?

- The first time I tried making an OC someone else just looked at me and started drawing a pony, should I make the pony represent me IRL?

- Should he be made like an avatar in a video game?

- Or should he be made like how I would imagine myself into the show?

- Is there a better OC Creator you would suggest?

- There was some sophisticated advice color sheme, Analogous colors, monochromatic - a whole wikipedia page of information, do I take the advice or wing it with whatever colors I like?

- I don't like how the male pony's muzzle is "squared off", even though it's a ponysona should I just say screw it and use a female's muzzle?

- They also said something about not looking like a Mary Sue - what does this mean when referring to making a Ponysona and not an OC? (I know what a "Mary Sue" is...)

Thank you for your time and help.

Mary Sue in regards to a ponysona means a character with no flaws or struggles. The opposite is a character who only has bad luck, also known as an "edgy" or "overly dark" character. Long story short, the way you're thinking I advise backstory last, if at all. Different folks do it different ways, but it's actually by far the least necessary part of an OC; it's a design and a personality, not a living person you tell stories about.

A ponysona is something you use to represent yourself in the fandom; don't treat it like an avatar or a character, treat it like a representation or expression of who you are. The furry fandom seems to have it in their heads the best way to do that is take SOME of your traits and exaggerate them; this isn't even close to the only way to make one though, and it's best to simply be honest and expressive in your design. Don't think you're limited to what you first build either - most go through massive redesigns, and many people (such as myself) have multiple.

Better OC creator? You could always commission an artist, if you want I can recommend a few... just be aware prices can get up to $25 or even $50, depending on what you ask for. Either way though, I have no problems with pony creator but I do advise against it - choices are limited, and it's better to draw directly out of your imagination, even if you're bad at it.

Color scheme is one of the most expressive and fun parts of any OC, short of cutie mark designs. Forget all that Wikipedia stuff, and remember just these few things - For a two-color scheme, try colors that look similar. For a three-color scheme, try colors that look extremely different. Don't make fluorescent ponies or pitch black ponies, both are looked down on (although can situationally work).

Don't be limited to just Earth ponies, pegasi and unicorns - there's bat ponies, moth ponies (my icon), zebras, griffons, changelings, and so much else. Get creative! I'd just advise against an alicorn unless necessary, they're not necessarily bad but there's so many things to add that are hard to explain.

And finally, I've seen lots of people say "just screw it, female muzzle all the way". It's actually kinda common.

(I've been considering a female muzzle myself lol)

"don't treat it like an avatar or a character, treat it like a representation or expression of who you are"

I'm pretty sure that's the definition of an avatar...

I'm not too worried about backstory, the reason I was asking about it being designed "like an avatar" was because that's how I see it, as an avatar of myself and not an OC. That and the creator setup reminds me of an rpg.

I'm... still young. Still in high school, jobless. There's no way I can get a commission, the flash game thing is the best I got. That and I don't have taste in hairstyle, odds are once I actually go through all of the options I'd have at least five chosen.

Wow, I didn't think that anyone used mare muzzles for colts

Let me see if I have any more questions.....

I think what's bugging me is the color and hair. You said not to make a black pony and, ironically, that's how I'd see myself if I was a pony in the show. Well you said design it LIKE an avatar, so that's out the window. I just need to choose the hair and tail... ill see what's like

It's more of a niche thing, but yeah, Celestia and Luna both have square jaws and many guys just straight up make mares (although you CAN make a colt with a curved muzzle, I see both done a lot).

I'm in my first year of college, and in even more debt than a high school student, so I understand the money thing. I can't get a commission either, it was more of an obligatory offer than a real, constructive suggestion. Most of the fandom is in our boat actually, we're mainly high school and college age all round, so I assumed you'd say no.

Well, yes, black IS looked down on. You can if you want, though, so long as it's a good-looking design. Blue and black specifically is the one people don't seem to care about, unless you're a changeling, in which case black is expected. I'd just warn you, you're gonna get a lot of comments from people who don't know any better... especially black and red. MLP forums recently gave me a bit of a tip though, try a dark grey instead. I've seen plenty of those, now that I'm looking for it.

The "standard" mane and tail styles aren't as diverse for stallions as they could be, despite representing most of the fandom. There's the messy, long tail and mane like Rainbow Dash, messy shorter hair like Dr. Whooves/Time Turner, clean/brushed long and short mane and tail, and "alicorn hair" for alicorns. You can basically put any hair style you'd want on it though, you just have to use your imagination. There's plenty from the show, and even more from the fandom.

An avatar is a design or icon people look at. An OC is also a character you use for things like stories or comics, and something for which (if you make videos or comics ever) you might or might not have your own words coming out of, because people don't like showing their faces online. (More of a safety thing than a necessity.) Still sorta the same thing if you only comment on random places, with not much in the way of persistent pals in the fandom, it's just used for so much more in really any other context. It's... actually really hard to explain if you don't know it thoroughly, just any time people refer to "themselves" in some way it's nearly always using their OC to some extent. People even nickname each other using their OC's names, even if they know each others' real ones. Just, if you don't get it, look at it however you'd like, I guess.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I'm new to this "forum" stuff and forgot to set it to notify me when there's another response.