Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

In real life, would Rainbow Dash survive a Sonic Rainboom?

Applejacket

Surely the speed would rip her face off? To break the sound barrier with no protection must be pretty fatal. Also logically surely she wouldn't be able to recover from that speed at go crashing into the ground? Just saying :/

• Brohoof 1

It's a cartoon; why are you questioning it? The whole situation would be radically different in "real life," as she probably wouldn't be a pony, wouldn't leave a rainbow shockwave or whatever it is, and probably would be piloting a jet. I'm fairly certain that these ponies emerge unharmed from things which would otherwise seriously hurt them all the time in this show anyway. It's one of those things you accept when you're watching a TV show. 

• Brohoof 2

So what you're saying is that a talking, flying, presumably magical equine would, for absolutely no discernible reason, have to adhere to different rules of physics were she to find herself in our universe performing an aerial maneuver that only magical winged equines from Equestria (as far as we've seen) are capable of performing.

...Why?  She's magic; she can fucking fly.  And at high rates of speed that cause rainbow-colored midair explosions.  Magic says, "Screw the rules"; that's essentially what magic does.  For the ponies of Equestria, their daily life IS "in real life"; I see no reason that anything they can do in Equestria would suddenly be rendered impossible or unusually dangerous were they to travel elsewhere.

tl;dr: She'd be fine; same as anytime she performs the maneuver in Equestria.

Edited by Ziggy + Angel + Rain
  • Brohoof 3

I agree, but the title is: In real life

So I'm not talking about the cartoon :/

Well in that case um, Rainbow Dash wouldn't exist and neither would the Sonic Rainboom. 

Edited by SBaby

ICR who it was in the Bible who rbuked someone for "straining at gnats & swallowing camels." IRL nothing the size of a pegasus could possibly fly.  If you want to go that road, IMO she is not as fast as the Flash.  Whatever shields the Flash shields Dash.

In real life, two people have actually broken the sound barrier without an aircraft; Felix Baumgartner did it a few years ago in Red Bull Stratos, thus I'm sure a lot of living things can survive it.

However, some of the maneuvers she pulls (especially in "Sonic Rainboom") only look cool in a cartoon. If crashing doesn't kill you, the G-forces of those kinds of maneuvers would.

She is a magical cartoon horse, she could do those tricks anywhere. If she stopped being a magical cartoon horse when she appeared here I imagine she would be more interested in grazing for grass than attempting to create magical rainbows.