Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Need Some PC Gaming Help

OmegaBeamOfficial

Congratulations, you've stumbled on the post of the noobiest at PC gaming in history (I'm not a full on PC gamer, I'm multiplatform). Sorry if I'm gonna sound stupid or if I drone on a bit, I'm nervous about this whole thing and I've only been getting back into the swing of using this forum, just in case any questions come up though, here's an FAQ:

Why aren't you using a PC gaming place to ask about this? - Because this is literally the only forum I like/trust, there's not much of the usual irrational spouting and harrassment you usually find in other places

Why don't you look it up yourself? - Trust me, I've searched this thing to death alright, I can't seem to find anything, whether I'm just being stupid or I'm looking in the wrong place I dunno

Why don't you build it yourself? - Because I'm just not good at that. I know a lot about PC hardware from school teachings but there's a difference between knowing the theory and being good at putting it together, and looking at the stuff you have to do, I am NOT good at putting the stuff together

So I'm trying to find a good mid-range gaming PC because I accidentally backed a game on Kickstarter and chose to get the PC version reward and not the console version. The Kickstarter exclusive DLC I only have codes on for PC, and It's too late to change it so I'm kinda stuck really. The current PC I have is, well... Shit to put it blunt, it struggles even running most games on low settings. Now I'm not the richest man in the world and I'm aware I gotta compromise, build up the money I need through housework since I'm not old enough for a job. But the higher the cost the longer It's gonna take. I don't mind if wherever you point me to Isn't "top of the line", I just want something that can play most games decently on "High", I can live without "Ultra/Epic/Whatever a game dev might call the highest mode", because I wanna focus on price and performance more than graphics, but I don't want it to look like mud either. Anyone who's experienced with this wanna give me pointers or link me somewhere useful? It'd be greatly appreciated so thanks :) If it helps I live in the UK, I'm aware different places service different areas.

• Brohoof 1

If you want a pre-built, you cant go wrong with either of these:

ROG-G20_R1.jpg

img-3.jpg

^You can buy mid tier versions for around $1,000-1,500 in various electronics shops on the internet as well as in Best Buy. Both are small in size, have great cooling, and offer great value for performance/ build quality as compared to other prebuilts =^-^=

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

If you want a pre-built, you cant go wrong with either of these:

ROG-G20_R1.jpg

img-3.jpg

^You can buy mid tier versions for around $1,000-1,500 in various electronics shops on the internet as well as in Best Buy. Both are small in size, have great cooling, and offer great value for performance/ build quality as compared to other prebuilts =^-^=

That sounds pretty good, could you tell me what these models are called? It doesn't seem to say in the post.

2 minutes ago, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

That sounds pretty good, could you tell me what these models are called? It doesn't seem to say in the post.

Here have a gander at these videos~

^Remember, both are available in lower spec'd versions than the ones seen in the videos. Also, mind Linus and his cringe-worthy sense of humor lol

• Brohoof 1

I know you are intimidated by building a computer but I think you should seriously consider learning how to do it rather than going prebuilt. When I was considering PC gaming I was so scared to build a PC I almost went prebuilt. I eventually was conviced by friends to learn how to do it and I did it and it was a fantastic learning experience. You can use logicalincrements and pcpartpicker to find parts you want and the guy I learned how to build PC's from is a guy on YouTube called Carey Holzman. Very detailed step by step build guides. 

• Brohoof 1

32 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Here have a gander at these videos~

^Remember, both are available in lower spec'd versions than the ones seen in the videos. Also, mind Linus and his cringe-worthy sense of humor lol

Alright, so I might settle for the first one and dug up something here. Since there are a lot of tier versions of the PC, would you say this one is mid-tier enough?: http://www.ebuyer.com/766788-asus-rog-g20cb-gaming-pc-g20cb-uk002t

26 minutes ago, DayShadow said:

I know you are intimidated by building a computer but I think you should seriously consider learning how to do it rather than going prebuilt. When I was considering PC gaming I was so scared to build a PC I almost went prebuilt. I eventually was conviced by friends to learn how to do it and I did it and it was a fantastic learning experience. You can use logicalincrements and pcpartpicker to find parts you want and the guy I learned how to build PC's from is a guy on YouTube called Carey Holzman. Very detailed step by step build guides. 

Thanks for the offer, again, but as you did say, I'm intimidated building up my own PC, I just know It's something I can't do. I'm not a builder of things, never have been, never will be, but thanks for the suggestion. Basically, It's not you, It's me is what I'm saying.

4 hours ago, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

Alright, so I might settle for the first one and dug up something here. Since there are a lot of tier versions of the PC, would you say this one is mid-tier enough?: http://www.ebuyer.com/766788-asus-rog-g20cb-gaming-pc-g20cb-uk002t

>.> That definitely seems overpriced to me lol. I'm not all that familiar with British pounds, but here in the US you can buy a GTX 1070 version for only $1,200

94f8c3cb36abf311da060a29c7d8dfa439da682c

a13520318b1a195ea4aca9f0b06448ef9e3ea857

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I would personally recommend against Asus for a gaming PC.  Their machines are hi-spec but their quality leaves much to be desired.  Every one of their products I have owned has ended up having some kind of problem.

My recommendation for PC hardware is MSI.  Not only are the specs good, but their hardware has always been rock solid.  If you can drop a grand, MSI makes complete desktops now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS5LIK7/ref=asc_df_B01MS5LIK75005699?ascsubtag=s1496100976892qqe2a52417&tag=52417_iceleadscom-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B01MS5LIK7&linkCode=asn

Granted I have only ever bought MSI components but they have never done me wrong.  Also, MSI has excellent customer service (Asus customer service is passable), you get humans almost immediately when calling them and they are very good at working out any problems you might have.

Edited by Twilight Dirac
  • Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

>.> That definitely seems overpriced to me lol. I'm not all that familiar with British pounds, but here in the US you can buy a GTX 1070 version for only $1,200

94f8c3cb36abf311da060a29c7d8dfa439da682c

a13520318b1a195ea4aca9f0b06448ef9e3ea857

Yeah, prices like that are more normal around Britain, It's kind of a bummer but It's within my price range. I'm not getting it for certain, but It's definitely a big option for me. Because trust me, I do NOT wanna import.

6 hours ago, Twilight Dirac said:

I would personally recommend against Asus for a gaming PC.  Their machines are hi-spec but their quality leaves much to be desired.  Every one of their products I have owned has ended up having some kind of problem.

My recommendation for PC hardware is MSI.  Not only are the specs good, but their hardware has always been rock solid.  If you can drop a grand, MSI makes complete desktops now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS5LIK7/ref=asc_df_B01MS5LIK75005699?ascsubtag=s1496100976892qqe2a52417&tag=52417_iceleadscom-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B01MS5LIK7&linkCode=asn

Granted I have only ever bought MSI components but they have never done me wrong.  Also, MSI has excellent customer service (Asus customer service is passable), you get humans almost immediately when calling them and they are very good at working out any problems you might have.

That seems good, I'll take it into consideration. The only problem is I can't seem to find that same PC on the Amazon of my region, so if I really wanted it I'd have to import and that's kind of a no no in my book unless absolutely necessary.