Farcry 5; why are the whiners upset this time?

K.Rool Addict

As stated in title, why are these people complaining about this game? I've heard from Weapon Wheel Podcast that "white people are upset" or whatever. Someone care to elaborate? :o It looked like the typical edgy "evil" cultist antagonists to me, in the trailer at least. I can't say I am very excited for Farcry 5 as none of the previous entries did much for me, but I'd still like to know more of this controversy.

(edited)

The antagonists are white christian cult i believe and people are worried it's targeting the South USA and putting Christianity in a bad light. 

There are other reasons too but i cannot recall them on the top of my head since i haven't heard too much either because people will be dramatic! Might as well leave them to it.

Edited by The Mint Pone

img-30523-1-untitled_3_by_flutterstephd-

It's a bunch of people kneejerking over the cover art.  We really don't know much about the story yet, but some people are jumping to the conclusion that because it takes place in America and involves white people with various religious symbols thrown in, it's a jab at rural white American conservatives.

Outside of the vocal minority, however, the biggest worry among my friends who enjoy the Far Cry series has to do with whether or not the story and/or characters will be better than Far Cry 4.  The only people bringing up identity politics are a vocal minority in the gaming community who have become the very thing they hate and the gaming journalists who are absolutely eating this drama up because it confirms their narrative of "gamers are all oversensitive misogynistic white-supremecists who can't handle a game that challenges their sensibilities".

• Brohoof 2

Roleplaying for Eight Years and Counting!

2DiWnOA.png

List of All My Active OCs

I'm more interested in seeing how Ubisoft manages to screw this one up than anything.

• Brohoof 2

21 minutes ago, Celli said:

I'm more interested in seeing how Ubisoft manages to screw this one up than anything.

It's Ubisoft, so it's not a matter of "how", more like "how much" are they gonna screw up.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, Celli said:

As long as you have to run it through Uplay, Ubisoft has already screwed it up.  I has gotten to the point where I don't buy Ubisoft products because I just outright despise Uplay.

Edited by Twilight Dirac
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Twilight Dirac said:

As long as you have to run it through Uplay, Ubisoft has already screwed it up.  I has gotten to the point where I don't buy Ubisoft products because I just outright despite Uplay.

Uplay needs to go away. I don't mind Ubisoft. Hell, Watch Dogs 2 was enjoyable. But damnit, just keep steam as the sole launcher for your games. Don't be EA.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Celli said:

Uplay needs to go away. I don't mind Ubisoft. Hell, Watch Dogs 2 was enjoyable. But damnit, just keep steam as the sole launcher for your games. Don't be EA.

Ubisoft needs to justify their shitty DRM policy somehow.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

It is a surprsingly fantastic open world title, especially by Ubisoft's low standards. The only major issue I had with it was all of the cliche "murica" bullshit. Developers, especially those outside the US, sure do love to spam the US flag at any given opportunity. It gets really old after a very short amount of time. Makes it feel like the states don't even exist to most people. They only want to summarize us in the most steretypical ways possible. Far Cry 5 was a strong example of that. Still, at least the game was pretty good.

KyoshiFrostWolfSIG1.jpg.b0b2e3d0d15e6abf25982983986dcba1.jpg

On 2021-04-24 at 7:10 PM, Kyoshi said:

It is a surprsingly fantastic open world title, especially by Ubisoft's low standards. The only major issue I had with it was all of the cliche "murica" bullshit. Developers, especially those outside the US, sure do love to spam the US flag at any given opportunity. It gets really old after a very short amount of time. Makes it feel like the states don't even exist to most people. They only want to summarize us in the most steretypical ways possible. Far Cry 5 was a strong example of that. Still, at least the game was pretty good.

You can't have a game based in a rural American setting without the rural American culture or personality. There's a handful of really groanworthy bits where it's really overdone but otherwise I feel like the game captures the cult-like aesthetic of rural American reactionary Christianity quite well, not to mention the antagonists are some of the best in the series IMO.

IMO FC5's big problem is that PEG is otherwise just incredibly boring. There's zero ideology to it other than "world's going to end, better stock up on guns and get high on datura". There was a huge narrative opportunity to tackle the growing Q conspiracy theory and it was totally wasted. I understand that using that kind of narrative would be risky for a AAA publisher but hey, better to make a profitable game in the short term than a memorable game in the long term I guess.

52 minutes ago, Annie said:

You can't have a game based in a rural American setting without the rural American culture or personality. There's a handful of really groanworthy bits where it's really overdone but otherwise I feel like the game captures the cult-like aesthetic of rural American reactionary Christianity quite well, not to mention the antagonists are some of the best in the series IMO.

I get that. I guess I am just so over the kind of "murica" stuff that so many games that take place in the US do at this point. It's often so stereotypical, yet a depressing reflection of how things actually are. It is why GTA humor has become irritating instead of funny, because all it is doing is simply reminding us of reality instead of making a joke. One example, without going too deep into it, is GTA IV, it has a radio segment where the entire joke is how greedy, terrible and simply awful the US healthcare system is. So the joke is...real life, because that's exactly how the healthcare system is. Luckily Farcry 5 doesn't go that far, but it still does a good job reflecting reality. Murican flags on every street corner. That's on point.

As a side note, this is why I want more open world games to not take place in the US. 

KyoshiFrostWolfSIG1.jpg.b0b2e3d0d15e6abf25982983986dcba1.jpg