Microsoft E3 Press Conference 2017

K.Rool Addict

(edited)

The purpose of this thread is to discuss Microsoft's latest Xbox Press Conference. Please keep your civility and maturity in mind as you post below. Thank you very much~

Now, onto business >.>

This press conference was "ok" imo. They hardly showed anything I could really and truly see myself playing (on an Xbox console) and I didn't really see much to get me hyped. The console costs $500 which is an absolute travesty if you ask me. $400 would have been the sweet spot to properly compete with Sony's Ps4 Pro and Nintendo's Switch consoles. It was pretty cool just how dang small they managed to make the box though. Now, while disappointments were certainly abundant in this conference, I have to say, I actually quite enjoyed my time watching it. It was "better than expected" from the perspective of jaded console gamer (lol). 

So, Crackdown looks like garbage, quite literally. Very very disappointing from both a graphical and gameplay perspective. Sea of Thieves actually impressed me quite a bit, although I was kinda thrown off by the seemingly unbalanced graphical detail. The waves and the water in general look absolutely fabulous; dare I say better than Uncharted 4's water effects :o But the character models, and interior environments looked like complete trash. Now I was also impressed by the actual islands themselves, on the surface mind you. Very beautiful lush greens and so on. I remember at one point whilst watching this section of the conference I thought to myself "DAMN why the hell can't Nintendo make a Wind Waker 2 with this level of graphical fidelity!? >.<"

State of Decay 2 looked horrendous. Awful graphics, awful animations, awful scripting, etc, etc. Forza Motorsport 7, one word "meh". Not my cup of tea at all, but I can see how others would like it. I'm more a Forza Horizon guy myself. The Minecraft 4k texture/ lighting pack caught me off guard; looked pretty cool tbh (despite me not playing Minecraft... like ever lol). I'm guessing this is not exclusive to Xbox One. Cuphead September Yay; but no gameplay >:T Super Lucky's tale looked like a straight up rip off of Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U (but with somehow even more lackluster graphics). Admittedly, it actually looks like it could be a fun game, and I found myself particularly enamored by those cute ghost npc's designs ^///^ Some really cool multiplat Japanese games shown off here. I loved the new DBZ 2D fighting game. Looks really cool (although I would have greatly prefered an open world DB MMO with the same graphical nuance but eh whatever. That Project Vein game or w/e the heck it was called looked hella awesome. I srsly cannot wait to play that. the enemies looked badass, the character models looked weird af, with some super high detailed celshaded visuals, and overall it just gave me NieR:Automata vibes (which is awesome considering how badass that game turned out). Black Desert Online on Xbox One EXCLUSIVELY (for consoles ofc). That was like HOLY SHIT. I couldnt believe that! That's like a dream come true tbh. I just don't understand how the bloody hell a game like BDO is supposed to run properly on a console with a HUGE freaking bottleneck like a 2.3 ghz CPU -.- Anyway, thats pretty much all my impressions; everything else was either too minor to mention or just atrociously bad lol. Oh that Bioware game they ended on looked hella badass; wish it was a Single Player experience tho >:T 

Overall this conference gets a "solid" 7/10 from me :P 

Anyway, what do you guys think? Anyone agree with me? Disagree? Share your own impressions below. /)^3^(\

Edited by K.Rool Addict

I personally loved the show. Many titles were put on full display and with so many unique experiences, it made me happy as a gamer to see it. Sure, none of those games are 'Xbox One exclusive' but I really don't care about that. It was a great display of games and the Xbox brand as a whole. Forza 7 is on my immediate buy list for the X. The Last Night also had an incredible style and the trailer for the Ori sequel was amazing.

Also, original Xbox games compatibility, that is the wonderful icing on the cake.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Kyoshi said:

I personally loved the show. Many titles were put on full display and with so many unique experiences, it made me happy as a gamer to see it. Sure, none of those games are 'Xbox One exclusive' but I really don't care about that. It was a great display of games and the Xbox brand as a whole. Forza 7 is on my immediate buy list for the X. 

Also, original Xbox games compatibility, that is the wonderful icing on the cake.

I wish they would have elaborated on the whole "Original Xbox" back compatibility thing :T I mean, if you could stick an old disc from 2004 into this thing and it'll automatically download a crazy enhanced version to you hard drive, that would be hella impressive. Not so much if its just the same format Sony used for their Ps2-Ps4 releases on PSN :/ 

Speaking of the hard drive... they didn't mention the amount of space it'll have, right? Like 1 TB or whatever? Correct me if I'm wrong but I did not notice it at all :o 

"Xbox One Exclusive"... I got rather confused by the wording. They showed alot of games with this:

c4f727332204b784e3463ec2e491e6082490bf58

as well as this:

0e3c8d48965070f403943af1cadb5f3079731b4c

My question... what the bloody hell is a "Launch exclusive"? o.0 Does it mean a timed exclusive? Or an exclusive to only the Xbox One X? idk... its just confusing to me Q.Q

5 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

I wish they would have elaborated on the whole "Original Xbox" back compatibility thing :T I mean, if you could stick an old disc from 2004 into this thing and it'll automatically download a crazy enhanced version to you hard drive, that would be hella impressive. Not so much if its just the same format Sony used for their Ps2-Ps4 releases on PSN :/ 

I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be downloadable titles only. They probably believe that most people wouldn't have hung on to their original Xbox disks and so just won't bother having the format be readable. It would be very cool if they are though~

8 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

My question... what the bloody hell is a "Launch exclusive"? o.0 Does it mean a timed exclusive? Or an exclusive to only the Xbox One X? idk... its just confusing to me Q.Q

I'm pretty sure that "Launch Exclusive" means it's a game exclusive to the Xbox on launch, but will become available on other platforms like Windows 10 later. My guess is that they'll probably do this with a few of their first party games so as to try and fuel sales for the Xbox One X and not just have PC players ignore it?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I thought it was a really weak show, though not without merit

+ Crackdown 3

+ Cuphead release date

+ Super Lucky's Tale

+ OG Xbox compatibility

+ Anthem looks cool

Unfortunately, two huge negatives include

- Xbox One X's $500 price point is insane, and I can't see it anything but Dead On Arrival(Keep in mind that that same price point really hurt the Xbox One at launch, among other things)

- Zero Exclusives. Personally I think exclusives are the main selling point for a console, and when literally everything is offered elsewhere it kinda defeats the purpose of having a console. Honestly at this point I've pretty much accepted that I'm only keeping my Xbox One around for BC(which don't get me wrong I love this feature)

Edited by The Undefeated of the East
  • Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, The Undefeated of the East said:

Zero Exclusives. Personally I think exclusives are the main selling point for a console, and when literally everything is offered elsewhere it kinda defeats the purpose of having a console. Honestly at this point I've pretty much accepted that I'm only keeping my Xbox One around for BC(which don't get me wrong I love this feature)

^To be fair, we already knew Xbox would never have exclusives again (this generation) as it was explicitly stated by Microsoft on multiple occasions :o 

11 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be downloadable titles only. They probably believe that most people wouldn't have hung on to their original Xbox disks and so just won't bother having the format be readable. It would be very cool if they are though~

They put in a lot of effort to get 360 games working on it, I think they'll find a way to get OG games working

• Brohoof 1

Just now, The Undefeated of the East said:

They put in a lot of effort to get 360 games working on it, I think they'll find a way to get OG games working

Sure hope so. I'll remain cautiously optimistic for it.

But yeah, I agree with your point about lack of exclusives. Backwards compatibility is great and all, but the Xbox should really be more than just a glorified emulator.

I am sorry, but why should i or the general consumer spend 500 bucks for a slightly more upgraded Xbox One? Only the real hardcore gamers and technical freaks who have a 4K TV (which for me is a technology, that still needs 3 or 4 years till it's actually cheap enough for the general consumer.) Also, Xbox One X is just not a good name. I mean, Microsoft kinda makes the same mistake Nintendo did with the Wii U, by just hanging on another letter and call it a day. If you want to sell your system, why not just stay with Scorpio? Now consumers will walk past by it, thinking it's the same console.

Just because this thing will be the most powerful system on the market, dosen't mean that it's a must buy for me. Graphics have become more and more secondary for me over the years. It's what i actually play that matters.

Thanks, but no thanks Microsoft.

9 minutes ago, The Undefeated of the East said:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/backward-compatible-xbox-360-games-are-less-than-2-of-xbox-one-usage-time/

It's kinda strange that there are so many people wanting backwards compatibility, but almost nobody actually plays 360 games on it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/backward-compatible-xbox-360-games-are-less-than-2-of-xbox-one-usage-time/

It's kinda strange that there are so many people wanting backwards compatibility, but almost nobody actually plays 360 games on it.

Same site reported and admitted to messing up their numbers earlier this morning

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/correction-undercounted-usage-data-in-our-xbox-unleashed-analysis/

I don't think MS would be putting so much effort into BC if it was doing that bad

Edited by The Undefeated of the East

2 minutes ago, The Undefeated of the East said:

Same site reported to messing up their numbers earlier this morning

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/correction-undercounted-usage-data-in-our-xbox-unleashed-analysis/

Then why dosen't microsoft post the actual numbers? shouldn't be that hard for them.

13 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

I am sorry, but why should i or the general consumer spend 500 bucks for a slightly more upgraded Xbox One? Only the real hardcore gamers and technical freaks who have a 4K TV

I mean, I find the console pretty disappointing too, but to call it "slightly" upgraded is a gross understatement >.>

The Xbox One X has practically 3x the power of the Xbox One S. I'd say that is a pretty tangible difference. Also, as an owner of both a Ps4 Pro and a 50'' 1080p tv, I can most assuredly tell you there is a substantial upgrade in visuals you receive on the Ps4 Pro as opposed to a mere base Ps4:

^remember, the Ps4 Pro is only 2x as powerful as the Ps4. The Xbox One X is 3x as powerful as the Xbox One :o 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, K.Rool Addict said:

I mean, I find the console pretty disappointing too, but to call it "slightly" upgraded is a gross understatement >.>

The Xbox One X has practically 3x the power of the Xbox One S. I'd say that is a pretty tangible difference. Also, as an owner of both a Ps4 Pro and a 50'' 1080p tv, I can most assuredly tell you there is a substantial upgrade in visuals you receive on the Ps4 Pro as opposed to a mere base Ps4:

^remember, the Ps4 Pro is only 2x as powerful as the Ps4. The Xbox One X is 3x as powerful as the Xbox One :o 

I am sorry if you understood me that way. I didn't want to undermine how powerful the X is.

but my point still stands. I don't buy a 500 dollar console just because it looks better. I do understand why you would want it, because you seem like someone who is into tech stuff and that is okay (don't see it as an insult. ;)

But for me, it's nothing. I don't even feel like buying a PS4 Pro in the near future.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

I am sorry if you understood me that way. I didn't want to undermine how powerful the X is.

but my point still stands. I don't buy a 500 dollar console just because it looks better. I do understand why you would want it, because you seem like someone who is into tech stuff and that is okay (don't see it as an insult. ;)

But for me, it's nothing. I don't even feel like buying a PS4 Pro in the near future.

Well, the base Ps4 and Xbox One are most assuredly good value consoles at this point. I got my Xbox One about a year ago for $250. It was new, 1TB hardrive, came with Halo 5, Gears Ultimate Ed., Rare Replay, and Ori and the Blind Forest and a $50 Gamestop gift card. And it wasn't even a black Friday sale. Within the pc space there is simply nothing that offers that level of value. With that new 1TB Gold Ps4 Slim, my guess is the base Ps4 will take on a similar value soon enough (ofc you gotta pay a little extra for that library full of awesome exclusives :P )

But yeah, I don't think this new Xbox One X will sell well at all. People will look at the Fat Xbone prolly selling for $150-200 and the Xbox One S for $250 and think to themselves "Hmm, why the hell do I wanna spend double the price?". xD

• Brohoof 1

I own a PS4 and Pro. Agreed that the difference is substantive. The difference between the One and One X should be even more pronounced. 

Ok. So ... Cuphead may actually be that game that finally sells me one the Xbox One this gen. I thought it would be the case before the conference, but seeing as that it's the highlight of the Microsoft show for me it's all but a done deal. 

• Brohoof 1

I was happily surprised by the game Sea of Thieves. It looked really nice in the trailer so I decided to take a look at the stream they did with four players playing it after the conference. I'm glad I watched it cause it really seemed like a lot of fun! I hope they improve the game during the time they have the beta out as I'm actually planning to get this one for Windows 10.

• Brohoof 1

Welp, looks like Sony's conference is being delayed lmao

I'm currently watching the stream and there are these 4 idiots babbling on, probably filling in for Sony's last minute delay. Not exactly a good first impression...

2 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Welp, looks like Sony's conference is being delayed lmao

I'm currently watching the stream and there are these 4 idiots babbling on, probably filling in for Sony's last minute delay. Not exactly a good first impression...

No it wasn't. It started right on the second. The people talking was just a prestream.

19 hours ago, Jokuc said:

No it wasn't. It started right on the second. The people talking was just a prestream.

It was scheduled to start at 8:00 EST. The pre-show started at 8:00 instead of the actual conference. It was a major letdown. If it wasn't an impromptu decision, they should have communicated this to the fans. Tons of people in the Youtube stream were asking "What's going on. Why isn't the conference starting yet? Did I miss it already?" etc.

1 hour ago, K.Rool Addict said:

It was scheduled to start at 8:00 EST. The pre-show started at 8:00 instead of the actual conference. It was a major letdown. If it wasn't an impromptu decision, they should have communicated this to the fans. Tons of people in the Youtube stream were asking "What's going on. Why isn't the conference starting yet? Did I miss it already?" etc.

No, they switched up the schedule the day before. Most sites didn't notice and therefore left the old time on their sites.

3 minutes ago, Jokuc said:

No, they switched up the schedule the day before. Most sites didn't notice and therefore left the old time on their sites.

Ah, I see. 

Still, I stand my my assertion that Sony should have communicated this more effectively to the fans :o 

2 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Ah, I see. 

Still, I stand my my assertion that Sony should have communicated this more effectively to the fans :o 

Yeah, definitely. Bad communication on their part. Only reason I knew about it was cause I watched a youtuber livestream while he found out.

Microsoft has basically given up competing with Sony, hell even Nintendo. The Xbox One X...not worth 500 bucks, unless it would be bundled with a DECENT title at launch, but Forza?!? Also...half the games they showed are already available on PC on Steam...cool their on console...but why would you put it in the windows store so PC players can buy it when its on Steam? The Last Night looked good though. The only benefit of releasing the X is that the S will drop in price, also...there is no way it is going to be "true" 4k, even PCs have a really hard time doing true 4k, it will be close to the point where its probably upscaled 1080p, and besides I'm not in a hurry to do 4k gaming, and im sure plenty of others think the same way. Long and short of it in my opinion is that they want to focus more on the PC side of things and don't care about their consoles/gaming side of the business. No good/hardly any exclusives, to many PC ports, cool indie games, overpriced hyped up Scorpio (i refuse to call it the X), oh yeah, and the backwards compatibility is cool too. I own all big 3 consoles and a gaming laptop, and hell when i feel like selling my One S to get a Switch because there are no games...that says something, at least to me. the best conference to me was Sony's (SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS REMAKE!!!!)

9 minutes ago, Mae Borowski said:

Microsoft has basically given up competing with Sony, hell even Nintendo. The Xbox One X...not worth 500 bucks, unless it would be bundled with a DECENT title at launch, but Forza?!? Also...half the games they showed are already available on PC on Steam...cool their on console...but why would you put it in the windows store so PC players can buy it when its on Steam? The Last Night looked good though. The only benefit of releasing the X is that the S will drop in price, also...there is no way it is going to be "true" 4k, even PCs have a really hard time doing true 4k, it will be close to the point where its probably upscaled 1080p, and besides I'm not in a hurry to do 4k gaming, and im sure plenty of others think the same way. Long and short of it in my opinion is that they want to focus more on the PC side of things and don't care about their consoles/gaming side of the business. No good/hardly any exclusives, to many PC ports, cool indie games, overpriced hyped up Scorpio (i refuse to call it the X), oh yeah, and the backwards compatibility is cool too. I own all big 3 consoles and a gaming laptop, and hell when i feel like selling my One S to get a Switch because there are no games...that says something, at least to me. the best conference to me was Sony's (SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS REMAKE!!!!)

You kidding me? Both Sony and Nintendo's conferences were a freaking joke -.-

Now the Shadow of the motherfucking Colossus remake was fucking insane, I'll concede that much lol. SotC is actually my 2nd favorite game of all time, so you can imagine how ecstatic I was to see it getting a full graphical overhaul. At first I thought it would just be a lame 4k native / 60 fps re-release on the Ps4 Pro... but then came those graphics... jesus fucking christ. If only Nintendo would do this kinda thing with Super Mario Sunshine my life would be complete <3 SotC on the Ps4 looks like some straight up Unreal Engine 4 magnificence! Looks even better than The Last Guardian =^-^=

41 minutes ago, K.Rool Addict said:

You kidding me? Both Sony and Nintendo's conferences were a freaking joke -.-

Now the Shadow of the motherfucking Colossus remake was fucking insane, I'll concede that much lol. SotC is actually my 2nd favorite game of all time, so you can imagine how ecstatic I was to see it getting a full graphical overhaul. At first I thought it would just be a lame 4k native / 60 fps re-release on the Ps4 Pro... but then came those graphics... jesus fucking christ. If only Nintendo would do this kinda thing with Super Mario Sunshine my life would be complete <3 SotC on the Ps4 looks like some straight up Unreal Engine 4 magnificence! Looks even better than The Last Guardian =^-^=

Nintendo's was honestly meh as usual, At least Sony has games :P  I just think Microsoft needed more oomph to it...like...sure new console...oh wait...500 bucks...with a ton of PC ported games, and meh exclusives.