Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone have a good tutorial on drawing ponies?

chef sanders

I'm planning on getting a drawing tablet soon, and I was hoping to find some good pony drawing tutorials. If you have or know of a good guide, could you please link it up? Thanks in advance!

Just find some official art and use that as a guideline. If you're a good artist (Which I'll assume you are, seeing as how you're buying a drawing tablet), that should be enough.

I'm no expert myself, but this is what I recommend. Pull up a picture of a pony in profile, like the picture of Big Mac above or any other pony really, as long as they are not really complicated for whatever reason. Printing it out is best. Trace over the image with a marker or differently colored pencil or whatever so you can see basic shapes, I particularly use circles and rectangles (though with rounded edges typically, though the art style is up to you. :) ). Then you can either use a sort of lightbox or other tracing device to transfer the circles and copy them on a blank sheet, without all the details of the original. REALLY study what you have now. Look back and forth and back and forth. See how things balance up, how they make it look proportional and whatnot. Work backwards up to here or however far you need to and then work forward again. I really don't know what else to say.

Oh yah. Here's the mod of the Ask Nokia blog's tutorial. ;)http://www.youtube.com/user/tomol6/videos

• Brohoof 1

I'm planning on getting a drawing tablet soon, and I was hoping to find some good pony drawing tutorials. If you have or know of a good guide, could you please link it up? Thanks in advance!

first google search results for "mlp drawing tutorial"

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/01/pony-drawing-guides.html

This one is just good:

http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/8102/1/1/how-to-draw-my-little-pony,-friendship-is-magic-style.htm

(edited)

This isn't a guide for using a tablet but it should still apply just for drawing ponies. I'm not sure what compelled me to do this, took like 15 minutes total lol. Most of this stuff is really basic anyway, you probably know it all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Hollowshield

(edited)

Sorry for the self-advertising, but

and have gotten some pretty good responses on it. If you end up using it some constructive criticism would be nice also ;) Edited by Ezynell
  • Brohoof 2

Sorry for the self-advertising, but

and have gotten some pretty good responses on it. If you end up using it some constructive criticism would be nice also ;)

What a weird coincidence, I was just watching that video before you posted it! It's the first video that made things clear to me. Thanks for making it!

(edited)

What a weird coincidence, I was just watching that video before you posted it! It's the first video that made things clear to me. Thanks for making it!

You're really welcome, I hope it helps. Don't forget to post some art that you make!

Edited by Ezynell

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies guys! I just got my tablet a few hours ago and made a quick test:

Posted Image

Don't like the ears, I need to practice on them; but I really like how the eye turned out

I was going to ask for a pony drawing tutorial too! but i don't have to now that you did, great answers too!I find that in most of my drawings it helps to have a set of porportions like the hieght of the body being x'times as tall as the head or things like that to give a structure to your drawing, another thing is just go for it and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

I really fail at drawing ponies. I can draw the body just fine, but the head is where I screw up big time. It's either extremely fat or extremely thin.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I just got my tablet a few hours ago and made a quick test:

Posted Image

Don't like the ears, I need to practice on them; but I really like how the eye turned out

To make the ears look good try for a leaf-like shape and just make the tips of 'em point for starters. Looks pretty good though.

To make the ears look good try for a leaf-like shape and just make the tips of 'em point for starters. Looks pretty good though.

Thanks! I took your advice with the ears and applied it to this sketch:

Posted Image

I need to work on hind legs now

Thanks! I took your advice with the ears and applied it to this sketch:

Posted Image

I need to work on hind legs now

For hind legs, the rear-most part under the thigh juts out backward a bit. What's it called. The hock. It doesn't go straight down from the thigh, that makes 'em look puddingy. ^u^

(edited)

Here's a couple I've found online that are pretty useful:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have another one but it's huge and I'll have to find a good image host that won't resize it before I can post it.

Just find some official art and use that as a guideline. If you're a good artist (Which I'll assume you are, seeing as how you're buying a drawing tablet), that should be enough.

I really don't want to sound condescending but, being an animation graduate, I really do not recommend this.

Actually, I've reconsidered that statement; I still think it's a better idea to go off of model sheets if you're going to want your drawings to look as professional as possible; however, it can also be good practice to look at finished drawings and try to decipher their construction yourself.

EDIT: Aha! Found an image host.

Click on the link to see.

http://postimage.org/image/3xde5961h/

Edited by ErBoi

Here's a couple I've found online that are pretty useful:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have another one but it's huge and I'll have to find a good image host that won't resize it before I can post it.

I really don't want to sound condescending but, being an animation graduate, I really do not recommend this.

Actually, I've reconsidered that statement; I still think it's a better idea to go off of model sheets if you're going to want your drawings to look as professional as possible; however, it can also be good practice to look at finished drawings and try to decipher their construction yourself.

I know that drawing tutorials are a terrible idea, but if it can help you start, then I guess they're alright.

Protip: use our attachment system. Should cover all the bases for hosting images for your posts. :) Click "More Reply Options" in the editor to access it.