Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Forums Re-enacted by Ponies - The Character Count Box

Rikifive

(edited)

NOTE: Though it may look like a thread with just a silly comic, it actually is tech support related.

I believe you all are bored of threads related to that character count box, due to amount of these, so this time I'll try to make it at least a tiny little bit entertaining. (hopefully) :)

VDmhchH.png

Now getting to the point-

When editing posts, there are two character counters displayed at the top.
Due to recent changes, that box is moved to the center and it adds a header of some sort below the toolbar, where that box is drawn, so that the real first line, where we can type, is below that counter. While it works as intended, there are two of these when editing posts. As a result, it draws two headers, which still works as intended, but unnecessarily takes more space and looks kiiiinda bad. :P 

It's not a big issue of course- from my perspective it's just purely cosmetic, as I'm a desktop user, so I still have tons of free space in my view. I'm just letting you know, that's all. :) 

How does that look in a non-comic version:

w4jKIDv.png

That's all, thanks. :)

Edited by Rikifive
Speaking of typos...
  • Brohoof 21

I want all my bug reports to come from you! 

I did not notice this issue before i updated the forums and i'll look into it. Thanks to a hint from the person who implemented this feature, i already have an idea of what might be causing it and the positioning bug probably covered this one.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Here's a question. Has anypony else noticed that if you come back on an edit, you can't change the font color? It's a problem few encounter, since not everypony obsessively posts in color...Like I do!

Here I am back on an edit, with plain old black text.

LOL!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Lavo said:

OMG :wub: 

You win the best bug report of all time.

And that itself made it worth the effort. :D Thank you! :P 

1 hour ago, Mirage77 said:

Well done thank you!!

Thank you! ^_^ 

1 hour ago, Ken said:

I want all my bug reports to come from you! 

Why, thank you! :D
You'd be breaking things on purpose, don't you? ;) 

1 hour ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Here's a question. Has anypony else noticed that if you come back on an edit, you can't change the font color? It's a problem few encounter, since not everypony obsessively posts in color...Like I do!

I've encountered issues with text formatting many, many times, so I know what you mean. :P 
I'm pretty sure that issue is actually not MLPF's fault, so I'm afraid they can't do much there, though I may be mistaking. :twi: 

This WYSIWYG editor is glitchy, it was even back in the previous version. For example in the previous version, even if you'd change the color in the editor and it worked- at certain circumstances it went black back after posting.

Sometimes the editor refuses to work properly. Even 'redo' shortcut isn't responding from time to time. -- heh, just tested that now and yup- it doesn't work already. I can 'undo', but the 'redo' option is instantly gone. The buttons in the toolbar seem to work though- the shortcut is just broken... And it worked when I was at the beginning of this post.

The whole editor is a mystery. :P 

The problem has now been fixed and will hopefully work as intended.

1 hour ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Here I am back on an edit, with plain old black text.

LOL!

I don't have that problem. Do you mean that when you come back to edit a post the font color resets to default or that you can't change the font color at all?

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, Ken said:

It works now, great work! :) 

3 minutes ago, Ken said:

I don't have that problem. Do you mean that when you come back to edit a post the font color resets to default or that you can't change the font color at all?

Actually it's hard to reproduce these issues. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it will not. Though I keep having bad times with the editor from time to time, I still can't figure out what exactly causes some of these troubles.

Not sure if she's experiencing the same problem - but from my experience I can tell, that changing the color simply didn't work at these times.
Basically when you'll highlight the sentence and select a color for it using the button in the toolbar- it still remains black. You can set the color thousands of times, even try to highlight just a part of it, it still won't change anything. A solution is to cut&paste the sentence(s), then change the color(s). If that doesn't work, you can keep messing around until it decides to work. There are always some other ways, such as putting the code manually, as mentioned above. :P 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Ken said:

When I come back to edit, the text color box is missing entirely. Sometimes I can force it by writing what I'm going to add within what I already wrote, and then cut and paste it out. That let's me get t5he color of the original text. Sometimes it doesn't work though. It's not a big issue though, so I don't really care if it can be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe I hadn't seen this already... This is absolutely gorgeous, lol