Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Suggestion for the bots

DubWolf

I think this may help with spam accounts from doing these... nefarious things.

On another forum, the first several posts of a member must be approved before they are free to post anywhere anytime. Why not require just the first post of any new member require approval before removing this restriction? This should get rid of at least a good chunk of spam.

I'm not sure if you could do it with profile statuses.

It would take a lot of effort with a forum this size to approve ever new user's posts when that time could be spent elsewhere. The bots are taken care of quickly when a mod is online and posts can't be approved if no mod is online.

Approving posts would be more trouble than benefit.

Aren't new users' posts moderated already or did I hallucinate the whole thing when I was new and everything I posted had to be approved before showing up. :ooh:

(edited)
1 hour ago, meme said:

It would take a lot of effort with a forum this size to approve ever new user's posts when that time could be spent elsewhere. The bots are taken care of quickly when a mod is online and posts can't be approved if no mod is online.

Approving posts would be more trouble than benefit.

Other forums are even larger and are capable of doing so, and require approving up to 10 posts before having full privileges. We don't get a new member every hour; maybe just a few a day, so a few posts a day to approve shouldn't be that much of a hassle, assuming it'd be just the first post to approve before full privileges are granted.

20 minutes ago, Jaspers said:

Aren't new users' posts moderated already or did I hallucinate the whole thing when I was new and everything I posted had to be approved before showing up. :ooh:

Ehh I guess things have changed, I dunno :wacko: . If that were the case, these bots wouldn't have made a single post on here :wacko: .

Edited by Wacko Wolf

During extreme cases of mass trolling in the past, staff have switched new accounts to require Approval Queue. It allowed some peace for the other members, but actions like that that require manual approval can have two negatives. It is labor intensive, so there always has to be a Mod or Admin available. Since staff activity is determined by individual availability, and general numbers, you run the risk of frustrating legitimate new members if approval is too slow. It would be their call on whether they would have the bandwidth to take that on permanently and if the risk is worth it. 

• Brohoof 4