Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why was the mirror made?

eventyraren

We now know thanks to Season 7 finally that Star Swirl did not make the mirror to banish the Sirens, he can create portals to other worlds by himself. We also know thanks to Forgotten Friendship that Clover the Clever and an evil sorceress also come to EQG world and by the illustration not through a mirror, and Clover came home sens this was before Equestrias founding. So the question is then Why made the mirror and even more impotent Why was it made?

They get into some of the mirror history in issue #17 of the comic. Spoiler warning if you haven't read it.

It sounded like he couldn't just make portals originally, his first time going to other dimensions was with the mirror. Star Swirls from different dimensions shared their research as they worked with the mirrors and it contributed to magic technological growth for ponykind. Started out as a yearning for knowledge and adventure into new realms.

That's how I understood it so far anyway =D

Edited by Total Lunar Eclipse

34 minutes ago, Total Lunar Eclipse said:

They get into some of the mirror history in issue #17 of the comic. Spoiler warning if you haven't read it.

Hide contents

It sounded like he couldn't just make portals originally, his first time going to other dimensions was with the mirror. Star Swirls from different dimensions shared their research as they worked with the mirrors and it contributed to magic technological growth for ponykind. Started out as a yearning for knowledge and adventure into new realms.

That's how I understood it so far anyway =D

as far as I understand it, the comics is not canon to the show, the show is canon to the comic but not the other way round. also too much from the comics has been proven wrong in the show so I do not trust them. also not all reed the comics, and they are, as fare as I know, not published in every country so not everyone can read it.

2 minutes ago, eventyraren said:

as far as I understand it, the comics is not canon to the show, the show is canon to the comic but not the other way round. also too much from the comics has been proven wrong in the show so I do not trust them. also not all reed the comics, and they are, as fare as I know, not published in every country so not everyone can read it.

Whoops, I didn't know you were asking for canon. Thought you just wanted theories or speculation. If the show has another explanation, works for me. I just don't know of any and I love the comic's idea for it. This is the only one of the comics I've read, they're awesome. I'll definitely be reading more. Maybe they could be translated by fans. 

Just now, Total Lunar Eclipse said:

Sorry, I didn't know you were asking for canon. Thought you just wanted theories or speculation xD If the show has another explanation, works for me. I just don't know of any and I love the comic's idea for it. This is the only one of the comics I've read, they're awesome. I'll definitely be reading more. Maybe they could be translated by fans. 

maybe not canon, but to many say you shod read the comic, become you get more lore from that, an as I said not everyone can read the comics. there is som things from the comics, like Sombras back story, was canon in the show. but to many  times someone say just read the comics.

also your suggestion mean that, that Clover and the evil sorceress is more powerful then Star Swirl sens both of them got to EQG world before the mirror and Clover even came home.

8 minutes ago, eventyraren said:

maybe not canon, but to many say you shod read the comic, become you get more lore from that, an as I said not everyone can read the comics. there is som things from the comics, like Sombras back story, was canon in the show. but to many  times someone say just read the comics.

also your suggestion mean that, that Clover and the evil sorceress is more powerful then Star Swirl sens both of them got to EQG world before the mirror and Clover even came home.

Nah. Read them if you enjoy them and if they're available to you. I'm not a stictler for details either, personally. I just like theories and stories.

Ooh, I see. Oh well, maybe they'll come up with some other backstory for the mirror. 

Maybe Star Swirl created the mirror as a means of banishing the worst threats that ever plagued Equestria but then that wouldn't explain how Clover the Clever ended up going to the human world to bury the Memory Stone. Star Swirl could have also created the mirror to visit other worlds in hopes of further expanding on his magical prowess--he does take great pride in his skills as a sorcerer.