Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Vintjack Greasymane

I'll be straight on this one: Do you find the entire MLP:FiM intro melancholy?

I kinda find it to be that way

I know that it was meant for a show that teaches how great friendship is, and how friends are important in our lives, so I thought I found it to be like that because I had no friends...aaaand nope! I have friends, many friends! So, that's not the right answer...but maybe I've gone very close...maybe I find it sad because it makes me see many great personalities which can not be related to ANY of my friends'. They are all great pals, and I always have lots of fun spending time with them, but really, none of them actually reflects any personality showed in the series...but I wouldn't be sure about that either, because it may affect my thoughts partially, but in the end I like them the way they are. Also, I happened to find someone else in the YouTube comment section who didn't know why that theme made him cry...so I basically found another one in my same situation (yes, it made me cry, too). So, what could the reasons be? Do/did you find yourselves in the same situation? If so, how do/did you deal with it?

Edited by Vintjack Greasymane
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, Vintjack Greasymane said:

I'll be straight on this one: Do you find the entire MLP:FiM intro melancholy?

I kinda find it to be that way

Can you please explain Why you find it melancholy? Not much of a discussion if you don't explain the why.

The whole show is like this for me to be honest. :P 

It's all about happiness and stuff, but the older I get, the more sadness I can see there for some mysterious reason. I believe it has something to do with hidden desires- I think it all reminds me of my childhood - the freedom, just having fun- the amazing imagination of child's mind. Becoming an adult changes things and even though you'd be surrounded by friends, you may feel, that something is missing, wanting something more from life.

Personally my social life is pretty much dead, so I think that may be one of the biggest factors responsible for that kind of feeling, even if it may not seem so for me.. I don't know...

It's really complex to explain, complex to understand and it depends on particular person. 

Either way to answer the question, yes, I do... Apparently. :derp: 

• Brohoof 2

20 hours ago, Rikifive said:

The whole show is like this for me to be honest. :P 

It's all about happiness and stuff, but the older I get, the more sadness I can see there for some mysterious reason. I believe it has something to do with hidden desires- I think it all reminds me of my childhood - the freedom, just having fun- the amazing imagination of child's mind. Becoming an adult changes things and even though you'd be surrounded by friends, you may feel, that something is missing, wanting something more from life.

Personally my social life is pretty much dead, so I think that may be one of the biggest factors responsible for that kind of feeling, even if it may not seem so for me.. I don't know...

It's really complex to explain, complex to understand and it depends on particular person. 

Either way to answer the question, yes, I do... Apparently. :derp: 

I guess it's the same for me...don't know...

I mean: I'm not that old now, but I constantly feel like something's missing...I normally relate that to a lack of that special someone, the thing I feel I need the most now.

Maybe these are two completely different things, but I can't deny that a character in the show represents the perfect type of girlfriend for me, so it may or may not be that...

Edited by Vintjack Greasymane
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not that old either, but I already miss all that fun I had thanks to just the imagination. Now everything slowly gets boring. :P Heh, I also have that lack of special someone.  :P Most of the characters are nice, kind and caring, so that vision indeed may be that nail in the coffin. :twi: 

But there is something more than that- I know it, but I don't know exactly what. Their world is just nicer--more magical in general, so even the basic struggles with real life may impact how you see the all of this. :derp: 

Sometimes I wish I could just fly ~  fly high above the sky, without any specific destination- just fly. :P

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Rikifive said:

But there is something more than that- I know it, but I don't know exactly what. Their world is just nicer--more magical in general, so even the basic struggles with real life may impact how you see the all of this. :derp: 

You're absolutely right! Their world is just...well...I think it's kinda the same of our's, but it has many colors, and it's, like you said, more magical! Now, I probably see it as a very great one because the show introduces it with all those nice personalities inhabiting it, but I know for sure those personalities are in this world too, so that makes me feel better!

Yes, imagination is a great tool people can use to do many things...I usually use it to create many situations I'd really like to be into...and the best part is: no one will ever be able to take it away from you:pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

Exactly! :yay: Of course that's true there are nice personalities in our world as well, though the busy life makes it all harder! :derp: 

Indeed. :catface: Hah, I do admit, that I also like to think about situations I'd like to be in from time to time. :derp: Well said. :) 

I like to think that the MLP world is achievable. Sure, there IS magic and all that, but imagine if we were all nice to each other like the ponies in the show. If we could be kind to everyone we meet, then they may be inclined to do the same! Happiness is infectious, you know.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

Exactly! :yay: Of course that's true there are nice personalities in our world as well, though the busy life makes it all harder! :derp: 

Indeed. :catface: Hah, I do admit, that I also like to think about situations I'd like to be in from time to time. :derp: Well said. :) 

Well, just think it this way: busy life is the same ponies have in Equestria! The show doesn't always focus on that, but everypony must have a job to keep up with their lives, and the same is here. Also, having a busy life is not that bad...well, it depends on the person who's saying that actually, but just take me as the example for this one: last summer I basically didn't do anything for one and a half month...one may think: "Well, now that I work, I'd pay for being in a situation like that! You get up late, and do absolutely nothing all day! What a life!"

WRONG!

I thought the only way possible was killing someone, that way I would have gotten into something more exciting than simply stay here in front of my PC all day. That meant I NEEDED to do something...but I'm quite complicated, so everytime something showed up I wasn't really sure I'd have liked it, but anyway...the point is: having a busy life, from my point of view, is ok, and helps to kill some boring time...then, of course, one also needs to "chillax" (:P) and take some time to breath, but things need to be well balanced.

3 minutes ago, Rhythm Red said:

I like to think that the MLP world is achievable. Sure, there IS magic and all that, but imagine if we were all nice to each other like the ponies in the show. If we could be kind to everyone we meet, then they may be inclined to do the same! Happiness is infectious, you know.

Right! Well...almost, from my point of view: I think that being nice to each other is a MUST, but some friendship just can't work out. I know you didn't mean that we all are forced to be friends with each of us, but I just wanted to clarify. Anyway, let's just see it this way: Ponies' world is not always as friendly as it could look like: there are also many nasty figures that perfectly represents some existing human personalities...but again, this was just to get things clear! In the end, I'm pretty sure I can say I agree with you. Friendship and happiness are beautiful things, and it's our calling to spread it as much as we can!:P

• Brohoof 2

33 minutes ago, Vintjack Greasymane said:

Well, just think it this way: busy life is the same ponies have in Equestria! The show doesn't always focus on that, but everypony must have a job to keep up with their lives, and the same is here. Also, having a busy life is not that bad...well, it depends on the person who's saying that actually, but just take me as the example for this one: last summer I basically didn't do anything for one and a half month...one may think: "Well, now that I work, I'd pay for being in a situation like that! You get up late, and do absolutely nothing all day! What a life!"

WRONG!

(...)

Yes, yes, that's true.
But how we see it depends on a particular person and the situation.
As for me:
I never complained on having too much of free time
I think I prefer having a slower type of life- don't count the time, just focus on the current moment and do what I'd like to do - it not necessarily has to be sitting in front of PC 24/7. :P There are soooo many things to do and discover. I also have hobbies, so I'll always find something to do. 

Job is the main source of stress
It's not something I'd love to do in my life. It constantly throws challenges. A boring job can't help me to kill the boring time- it actually has the opposite effect. :icwudt: If my job would be the one from dreams - related to hobbies or something, then most likely I wouldn't complain. :derp: Well, that's a goal we all aim for after all, there is a reason why people are studying. With that being said, if I'd have to be a weather pony, for example, I wouldn't complain! That's not a bad job, what's more, it is important! ^_^ 

"What More Is Out There?"
Job takes away most of my free time (about 10 hours / day (including travel time and such)), leaving me busy most of the time. I look at the clock way too often, counting the time I have left. I'm literally wrecking my sleeping schedule, in order to save some time. My shifts are terrible to work with- For science, I tried going to sleep normally for one week- it didn't end well. Having the time split in a weird way made me just completely lazy- I didn't even boot my PC through the whole week, at all, due to lack of time-- so .. apparently I was too lazy to be lazy. :rarity: I wouldn't mind going out to the garden and stare at the trees or go for a walk and just enjoy the day. In the current state, I'd call it a waste of time, that could be used to do something productive. I even got to the point, where I consider playing video games as a waste of time - instead of just having fun playing games in the free time, I keep watching the clock and think about productive things I could do instead.

I don't require much from life to feel good and have fun to be honest. :twi: 

I know some people actually can find the time, I really wonder how they do that... I barely come back home from work, do few things like eat something and suddenly few hours have passed already. :derp: 

I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining or something, I just wanted to say how I see it from my perspective. :twi:

Either way that's true, that their world isn't perfect either.

16 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Yes, yes, that's true.
But how we see it depends on a particular person and the situation.
As for me:
I never complained on having too much of free time
I think I prefer having a slower type of life- don't count the time, just focus on the current moment and do what I'd like to do - it not necessarily has to be sitting in front of PC 24/7. :P There are soooo many things to do and discover. I also have hobbies, so I'll always find something to do. 

Job is the main source of stress
It's not something I'd love to do in my life. It constantly throws challenges. A boring job can't help me to kill the boring time- it actually has the opposite effect. :icwudt: If my job would be the one from dreams - related to hobbies or something, then most likely I wouldn't complain. :derp: Well, that's a goal we all aim for after all, there is a reason why people are studying. With that being said, if I'd have to be a weather pony, for example, I wouldn't complain! That's not a bad job, what's more, it is important! ^_^ 

"What More Is Out There?"
Job takes away most of my free time (about 10 hours / day (including travel time and such)), leaving me busy most of the time. I look at the clock way too often, counting the time I have left. I'm literally wrecking my sleeping schedule, in order to save some time. My shifts are terrible to work with- For science, I tried going to sleep normally for one week- it didn't end well. Having the time split in a weird way made me just completely lazy- I didn't even boot my PC through the whole week, at all, due to lack of time-- so .. apparently I was too lazy to be lazy. :rarity: I wouldn't mind going out to the garden and stare at the trees or go for a walk and just enjoy the day. In the current state, I'd call it a waste of time, that could be used to do something productive. I even got to the point, where I consider playing video games as a waste of time - instead of just having fun playing games in the free time, I keep watching the clock and think about productive things I could do instead.

I don't require much from life to feel good and have fun to be honest. :twi: 

I know some people actually can find the time, I really wonder how they do that... I barely come back home from work, do few things like eat something and suddenly few hours have passed already. :derp: 

I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining or something, I just wanted to say how I see it from my perspective. :twi:

Either way that's true, that their world isn't perfect either.

Well, having the topic put this way, I can't disagree with you. Having your time filled with something you'd like to do is 100% better than doing something you don't want to, that's for sure.

Of course everybody requires something different from life to feel good, and if you enjoy going for a walk on a sunny day, then, like you said, you don't require that much from it. But that's good, I'd really like to be like that, actually. I'm not always able to enjoy small things, even if I know that someday they could just disappear...and then, oh, will I miss them! I always try to stay positive anyway, but that's not so easy: I haven't got much time left here...two years more and then I'm out of school, ready to start planning a future I don't know anything about...and I honestly fear that... Anyway, we're not talking about this now. 

I guess there are ponies in Equestria who face you same problems, as well as there are othen teenagers ones who face mine...

• Brohoof 1

The theme doesn't have that impact on me personally, no. I've never struggled to make friends or find someone to spend my time with. Should the urge strike me, I can find something to do with someone at nearly a moments notice. Hell, when I went to see Black Panther ... I posted a message on my FB that basically said ... "hitting the theater to see a movie and grab a bite ... anyone up to adventure in the great unknown regions of Wakanda?"

Within seconds I had a taker. I suppose I'm lucky ... or not shy at all. 

• Brohoof 1