Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Theory: Discord isn't a draconequus (short theory)

Nightfall Veilwing

(edited)

Discord is is, hooves-down, the most comical and chaotic character in the G4 MLP universe. He sadly doesn't appear all that much in the series, but he's entertaining when he does. But what is Discord, really? In The Return of Harmony, Part 1, Cheerilee states that Discord is a draconequus, but I don't think that's his true species at all.

I propose to you that Discord is actually not a draconequus, but a chimera. Now, I know we've seen an actual chimera in the show, but the term "chimera" is also used for an animal that has parts of various species, and this fits Discord much better. The beast from Beauty and the Beast, for example, is also a chimera, as he has various parts from various species.

For those who don't know, the word "draconequus" is a portmanteau of the Latin words "draco" (dragon) and "equus" (horse), but Discord doesn't seem to have dragon-like attributes. The MLP Wiki even states that Discord is a chimera. [LINK]

So, what do you think of this brief theory? Is Discord a chimera, or do you have a different explanation for Discord's species?

Edited by Millennium Shadow

1 hour ago, Millennium Shadow said:

"draconequus" is a portmanteau of the Latin words "draco" (dragon) and "equus" (dragon)

Oops; might wanna fix the typo.  :umad:

I think I follow your reasoning, but may I add in a factor to consider?

The chimera that has been shown in the MLP universe is sentient... but not actually enough to be a walking, talking, spellcasting entity; Discord is, and so he might be a further evolution of a chimera... but his advanced thinking and powerful magics possibly qualify him as a different creature, as opposed to the same thing in a different form.

Something to consider.  :huh:

• Brohoof 1

This is a good thought. I support it well enough. Perhaps Discord is a chimera, yet still a draconequus.

Here me out, a chimera would fit the traits Discord has. Yet, we could differentiate chimera by species. A manticore for instance. So Discord could be Chimera Draconequus.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Nye said:

This is a good thought. I support it well enough. Perhaps Discord is a chimera, yet still a draconequus.

Here me out, a chimera would fit the traits Discord has. Yet, we could differentiate chimera by species. A manticore for instance. So Discord could be Chimera Draconequus.

Makes sense to me.

What type of chimera would you consider the beast from Beauty and the Beast to be? I always called him a "wolf bear" because he kinda has a werewolf-like stature with a bear's furriness, shall we say. :P

Edited by Millennium Shadow
  • Brohoof 1

Discord could be something completely different. He embodies chaos and his body does. I like to think he is a concept brought about by the minds of ponies, there might be other concepts out there too.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Nye said:

@Califorum

Intended to be a clown maybe? I haven't a clue.

I don't see why they would create Discord, since he is the one they found in ponyville those years ago and they defeated him. Surely if they created him they would have a way of controlling or keeping him out of trouble.