Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

stand alone series, or arc?

Steve Piranha

We know pony comics normally runs under two series at a time: the main series, and a secondary series. The latter has gone through a number of series by now, starting with the Micro Series, then Friends Forever, Legends of Magic, the close to end Ponyville Mysteries, and the upcoming Knightmare Knights

I consider stand alone series the first two, as they are mostly stand alone issues, while starting with Legends of Magic started building more focused arcs around them. My question is, do you prefer a longer series of stand alone stories, or a whole series of a more focused story? I prefer the latter, as it goes with something the show is generally missing, an actual focused story arc, and it builds into an interesting concept, like past legends, or a pony Suicide Squad :fluttershy:

Edited by Steve Piranha

I always thought IDW did a poor job long running arcs with them usually running into problems, to them trying to be big and epic only to fall flat on their face, either with doing too much or not enough. Not to mention if it's shit you half to wait months to get through the bullshit, with Reflections, Seige of the Crystal Empire, and the Bull Rustlers being the worst offenders

In comparison stand alone they only need enough story for one comic, the stories are smaller in scale and stakes but it also means less bullshit dragging it down. And if the comic is shit, it's a one and done deal, no need to wait several months to get it over with

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to prefer the longer running series. I don't mind the single-issue stories, but while plenty of been excellent, there's also been so many meh issues. I like that the comic writers take risks and while not everything has worked (The Good, The Bad, and The Pony; Root of the Problem, Siege of the Crystal Empire) there have been plenty of great multi-issue stories (Reflections, Ponies of Dark Water, Chaos Theory, Return of Queen Chrysalis, Return of Tempest Shadow, Legends of Magic) that left such a bigger impact for me. The risks is greater, but I appreciate that and the stories we get.