Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Deep Science 1x1 with Blitz Boom

Illiad Easle

@Blitz Boom

Their father moved to close the door behind them, bidding them a fond farewell before returning to whatever it was he was doing when they had arrived.

Outside, as they moved it was clear that the city had been built with space at a premium, the buildings each standing one right after the other, only separated by roadway for the most part. If they walked back in the direction of the Consul's estate they'd find that there were some shadowed spaces between the re-purposed buildings next to the Trojan Council building. Otherwise, there was plenty of shade on the shade side of the buildings as the sun wasn't directly overhead yet. In either of these cases they wouldn't be seeing the shadow creatures from before.

There was however a near inaudible humming sound that only Null would be able to hear, and subsequently Nine would speak to her in her head. "There's a scepter looking for you... or something. Don't know what they intend to accomplish when you don't know our language. I think it's back where Mercy is."

@Illiad Easle

"A specter? What're you on about?"

"Huh?"

"It's Nine. He's saying that there's some sorta specter looking for us at Mercy? What's that, a street name?"

"Y-You can hear Nine? Does that mean he's still trapped inside you? I were hoping that Selena had taken him out with her."

"Either she didn't care to, or I'm some sorta improvised prison cell. I dunno. He seems useful enough to have around."

Void went up and turned her neck head so that her muzzle were at Null's ear.

"Don't worry Nine, we'll get you out someday."

Null yanked her head away and cleaned the warm breath lingering in her ear away with one of her hooves.

"Hey, you mind? I'm not a conch shell. And what's this all about?"

"I promised him that I'd help him get out, without any of you dying. It's-"

"No, I get That. I'm talking about the specter. Mind filling in the blanks?"

"O-Oh, that. The uhm, shadow creature that hung around with Pen? It came looking for me earlier. It made a lot of weird gestures, that more or less boiled down to it needing us to help Codex. And I think when Nine talks about Mercy, he means Selena. She talked about being an avatar of Mercy earlier, when we were in your head."

"Peh, no wonder those two can't get along."

"What do you mean?"

"Not important. Let's get back and see what the big deal is. It sounded like Nine knew how to talk with it, so if we get there, that shadow rummaging around where Pen's insides should be, can give us a better answer."

"Wait, that s-shadow lives Inside Pen?"

Null filled her in on what had happened on her end of things int he facility as they went along and got back to the Consul's home. If they weren't stopped, they'd aim straight for the last place that Void had seen said shadow in: The room that had been allocated for the two of them. At least far as she remembered. Things had gotten kinda hectic today, so it might not have been what the room were for.

*sigh* At least she still knew where it were. That had to count for something.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

"I can hear your sister just fine without her talking right in your ear. But I think you know that already. I used to get along with Mercy quite well thank you."

There wasn't much to see as they made their way back, the guards wouldn't stop them as they entered and the place was just as empty as before, though it was somewhat brighter now that there was a bit more sunlight filtering in through the windows.

There wasn't anything different about their room, except that the scepter was there somewhat hidden in the corner shadows. When they entered it waved to them and started to do some sort of charades, the humming that Null had faintly heard earlier was now a bit more obvious, though Void would only be able to hear it faintly.

"It missed you..." Null would get the impression that Nine would roll its eyes if it had any, "But anyway, it wants to know if you've found any 'magic metal', or heat, it's hungry." Nine sighed, "What's a tiny thing like it doing so far from a king anyway? Hardly five years old I'd bet."

To Void the shapes were something like a teardrop, then a map, then the ingot from before, then a question mark, then a fire followed by another question mark.

@Illiad Easle

On 9/14/2019 at 5:20 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"It missed you..." Null would get the impression that Nine would roll its eyes if it had any, "But anyway, it wants to know if you've found any 'magic metal', or heat, it's hungry." Nine sighed, "What's a tiny thing like it doing so far from a king anyway? Hardly five years old I'd bet."

Null would raise a questioning eyebrow early in, as Nine translated what this shadow creature were spouting off about. Something which did not diminish as there were a few more things that just piled up to frankly make this whole situation a whole lot weirder in her mind, and just made her despise the facility even more.

"What is Nine saying?"

"This thing's just a kid..."

While Void showed it a good deal better after Null said this, the two of them both felt some degree of pity for this creature. They hadn't a clue how long this creature could live and when it got mature, but five years old? Needing a king? How it asked for things, according to Nine? If he weren't lying, it sure sounded like this one were little more than a kid, and the two of them knew bitterly how tough it were to be thrown into a disgusting situation like this one had, at around this age. Sure they didn't get stuck in the facility at first like this one had - just imagine if the poor thing actually were born in that sort of captivity? - but thy could counter with so many other horrendous things that happened, and knew that the odds of someone turning out great when you were mistreated and abused like this at an early age, weren't high.

They were gonna need to talk to Pen about this later, and get some actual intel on this, and see if they could perhaps help out. Y'know, long as they didn't survive on eating newborns or something. There had to be a line drawn somewhere.

"It's apparently asking if we found some *magic metal* and Nine says it's hungry. It apparently eats heat? Wouldn't be hard to set fire to something if that'd do the trick, but I ain't sure about the metal."

"The Consul talked about it earlier, when you were... Down. He said that Princess Celestia had a lot of it, but no one knows where it went, and here in Troy, the Grey Stockpiled it. It sounded like they weren't around anymore, but where to even find this metal, I don't know. Or... No, nevermind. I'll have to ask him about it when he wakes up. Let's try to get this poor thing something to eat. Is Nine saying anything about whatever or not fire works? or does it need to be some sort of body heat? Sun rays? What can we do?"

Null gave Void a questioning look about what she had avoided talking more off before, but let it slide for now.

As for what Void were thinking about, it were in regards to this memory retrieval, and a member of the Grey. The chef she had helped in the camp, out in the desert. Perhaps if her memory could be retrieved to some extend, she would know where to look for this metal? It needed to have Illiad and Selena in over it since they knew more, but it had sounded like this metal were valuable, and important. Not just to Codex. Why would it be stockpiled after all, if it weren't worth something to some extend? It could well be beneficial to Troy, as well as Codex, that it got found, and it were worth spending some strength and time on. Likely first after the deal with Hercules though, depending on if that were tomorrow or not. It had sounded like it.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

4 hours ago, Blitz Boom said:

Is Nine saying anything about whatever or not fire works? or does it need to be some sort of body heat? Sun rays? What can we do?"

"Fire works, body heat is most common but won't really work for you two, the Sun is a definite no, solar magic is very harmful to scepters, which is probably why it has stayed here since the sun came up. Steam typically works best, it was my king's favorite at least."

The scepter looked confused at their talking, as emphasized by the now slanted question mark it formed. 

"It's curious why you're talking about it rather than to it, it remembers you talked to it last time... How you managed that is beyond me."

@Illiad Easle

Void blushes slightly and awkwardly turns to the shadow specter.

"S-Sorry, I uhm... Didn't t-think there for a moment."

Null looked at the charades-playing shadow too, and had done so whenever she didn't directly speak to Void, as Nine being in her head, meant that she didn't really have anything else to look at but these two while he were talking.

"Charades ain't my thing, but whatever. Let's find something to set on fire. Gotta be far easier than finding someplace with steam."

Wouldn't have been an issue back in Ponyville... Just had to go over to the spa and let this thing waft through the rooms, soaking in the massive amount of the stuff pouring out of every sauna, and whatever else were in there. Null frankly didn't know, as she didn't go further than the lobby, to wait for Void the one time she had gone in. Her sister had carried quite a strange combination of relaxation and horror on her face after the touchy experience that went a good deal beyond what she felt comfortable with normally, but she claimed that it had been a good thing. Just too much with the massages and other practices that went on in there.

*sigh* But this were Troy, and finding steam in a nation she remembered as mostly having deserts, seemed like a stretch. Especially with how the world were right now. Couldn't be wasting water on frivolous stuff like that, right? If they didn't save it to drink, rather than getting puffed up, she'd have to question if the ones in charge of this place had gotten their brains steamed.

Fire on the other hoof, now that were far easier. She just needed some dry wood and a suitable rock, couple of sticks, or magnifying glass, and they'd be set. Or hell, a torch from somewhere, or a pyre. Those two would be the easy routes, but they could sort fire out in a pinch. One of the things you had to learn to do yourself when living on the road, or you'd find yourself frozen to death in a cave or abandoned outpost somewhere. A pretty good incentive to learn fast.

"I agree. Please f-follow us, and hopefully we can find something in this b-building. There have to be a fireplace, torch, or log of wood s-somewhere."

Void talked directly to the specter this time, and beckoned it to follow them, whilst trying to get the awkward nervousness that came from being unintentionally rude towards their young companion, out of her system. Null would take the charge and be on her way, soon as she had a quick glance around this room, just to make sure. If they found nothing, she'd move on, and take it one room at a time, looking especially for what might seem like meeting rooms, kitchens, or basements. Tended to be sources of warmth in those places more often than not in her experience.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

Their room had a fireplace, but it didn't have any wood unless they wanted to break down their furniture, then they still lacked a fire-starter. Most of the rooms they'd check would have the same problem, fireplace but no wood.

They'd eventually reach the dining room where they'd shared dinner with the Consul, the room felt warmer than the ones they'd passed. There was a grand fireplace here, though it too was vacant of any wood. 

There was a sound of some commotion coming from another door that led into the dining room, and there was a bit of light peaking in from the edges of the doorway, it sounded like a kitchen almost.

(If they decide to go in there)

Though the lit doors there was a well lit and decently stocked kitchen area, a number of stoves stood against a wall across from a number of ice chests and cabinets, and bustling around the central table was a mare, earth pony, who seemed to be making some flat bread, she'd look up when they entered, a bit confused, "Um... Can I help you?" She'd stare at them for a moment before she'd realize something, "Oh! you're the Consul's guests aren't you? If you're looking for something to eat I'd be happy to help!"

The whole time they were searching the scepter had been following behind them, but as they'd enter the kitchen it would jump into Void's shadow, careful to stay as far from her as it could without leaving her shadow.

(Otherwise)

They'd eventually run out of rooms that weren't locked, if they tried to go upstairs where the Consul and Selena had gone the scepter would stop at the edge of the light that came down them.

@Illiad Easle

Oh for the love of whatever spawn of darkness resided in Troy, what were wrong with these ponies?

Room after room, all having fireplaces ready with logs just begging to be set ablaze, and not a single, bloody thing to lit on fire with in sight. Rrr, this was getting aggravating! If they didn't soon find a place where there were some sort of fire to be found, she were gonna go into the street, grab the nearest creature she could, and-

On 9/18/2019 at 6:57 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Though the lit doors there was a well lit and decently stocked kitchen area, a number of stoves stood against a wall across from a number of ice chests and cabinets, and bustling around the central table was a mare, earth pony, who seemed to be making some flat bread, she'd look up when they entered, a bit confused, "Um... Can I help you?" She'd stare at them for a moment before she'd realize something, "Oh! you're the Consul's guests aren't you? If you're looking for something to eat I'd be happy to help!"

The whole time they were searching the scepter had been following behind them, but as they'd enter the kitchen it would jump into Void's shadow, careful to stay as far from her as it could without leaving her shadow.

Null had opened the door, expecting to find at best, a bunch of idiots that she could yell at to get her frustrations out since of course, they'd be in a room just filled to the brim with things begging for a flame, without any of the caveponies knowing what the darn thing were. But no, for once in this whole search they had finally stumbled over a place with something useful: A kitchen.

...Urgh, the smells were making her stomach churn. When were the last time she had eaten? And what did she eat for that matter? She knew she had to have been fed something, since she weren't feeling starved after a full day in limbo, but it didn't feel like she had got a good, hearty meal in a while. Peh, probably been soup and the like, spoon-fed to her by Void. A nice thought for sure, and she appreciated that her sister thought about her enough to try and at least get something in her, but she'd have to find some actual food at some point. Perhaps some beats? She could kill for a good beat right now.

"O-Oh, sorry, we d-didn't know anyone were here. But y-yeah, I suppose we are the c-consul's guests."

Void had some idea they were stepping into a kitchen, but she were trying to talk her way out of this, and that had been the first thing that came to mind in this awkward situation. Taking a glance around quickly, she didn't see the shade, so perhaps it were still in the hallway? Probably for the best that it didn't get seen. Poor thing would start a panic.

"Yeah, and I think you Can help us. You got any boiling water and a beat, or some radishes?"

Nine had said steam, and if there were one thing that'd blow that off, it were boiling water. A small pot of that might serve the shadowy creature well as a meal, whereas the other stuff would make it sound as if she were just wanting to mix something up herself. Honestly though, she'd just eat them raw. She weren't picky right now.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

The mare looked at them rather curiously, "I mean, I could boil some water for you, I don't have any boiling right now. And I think we should have a radish or beet, or two." She set about placing a medium sized pot in the sink to start filling with water, then proceeded to look around in the cabinets, finding a small sack of radishes and placing it on the central table away from her bread dough. "There you are, they're not the freshest but they're still good, probably." She then put the pot on one of the stoves and set it to boil. "So... what do you plan to do with this, soup? I'd be happy to make it for you if you like, no need for the Consul's guests to worry themselves with such things..."

The mare seemed nervous for whatever reason, looking between the two of them, almost as if she recognized them from somewhere.

If Void's shadow at any point intersected with another shadow the scepter would move over to it, the only indication of its presence being that the shadow was darker there that anywhere else.

@Illiad Easle

On 9/20/2019 at 4:10 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"So... what do you plan to do with this, soup? I'd be happy to make it for you if you like, no need for the Consul's guests to worry themselves with such things..."

"My s-sister prefer it l-like this, but thank y-you."

It wasn't the best of excuses, but what else where Void going to say? *Hey, don't worry, it's not for us. We're just wanting to feed steam to a shadow kid*? Yeah, they'd definitely get into trouble if they did that, and wouldn't get any boiling water either.

As for the other part of the request... Well, Null was just sort of a simpleton when it came to food, since she were a horrible, horrible cook. So it was easier for her to just eat things raw, when Void didn't have the time to just sit down and prepare something. Which she didn't right now, though that wasn't really poignant, as more than anything, they were doing this for the boiling water.

"Are you afraid I'll throw it in your face or something? You're looking awfully concerned about something."

Null narrowed her eyes as she looked at the chef. The rest they ran into here that didn't know them hadn't acted out of turn or approached them like they were about to do something unspeakable to them, but this one were. Almost as if she knew something about them that the others didn't...

Could be that she knew what had happened at the facility somehow? Or... Had they met this one somewhere else? They'd been on the road for twenty years and seen a ton of creatures, so the odds weren't exactly non-existent, especially with the world having survivors from far and wide in various small pockets of safe space, rather than spread around globally. Though if that were the case, who the hay were this, and what sort os situation had they met in?

Urgh, this were so much easier when meeting someone more remarkable. This one just didn't ring a single bell whatsoever, and if they Had indeed met this one, she couldn't tell who this were for the life of her.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

The mare flinched back at Null's comment and narrowed eyes, if they were looking closely they might notice that the mare had a strip of grey fabric tied around her neck, tucked just under the standard Trojan robe she was wearing. "No! Nothing like that, far be it for me to think such ill about one of the Consul's guests. It's just..."

Her eyes were darting around the room either in an effort to avoid Null's piercing gaze or to look for a way out. "I just don't like, well I'm not good at working while I'm being, well, watched. That's why I'm here so early, to get this done before the rest of the staff gets here..."

She was withering under Null's gaze as she gestured weakly to the dough she had been preparing when they had entered, she looked like she might start crying if Null kept up.

The shadow would dart from whatever shadow it was hiding in to the stove, taking new refuge in the shadows on the ceiling above it, right around the hole the steam would escape through.

@Illiad Easle

Null's eyes just narrowed further as the cook talked, before suddenly just easing up again, and shrugging her shoulders before looking away.

"Fine, whatever."

She didn't notice the fabric, having focused more on the face to try and figure out who this were, though still, no matter how much she thought on it, nothing came to mind at all. Whoever it were might know them, which could be an issue, but also seemed to be afraid of them to at least some degree. Long as she acted on that, and didn't get on their case or try to spread stories, Null wouldn't care about this one.

Meanwhile, behind her, Void were looking at the mare with a nervous glance going between her and Null, and pointed at her neck, trying to indicate the fabric were showing.

She had already seen one cook who used to be part of the disbanded Grey, so this were - while still not entirely comfortable - not a new thing. This one seemed to have some memories though, and as such, she would like to ask some questions to figure out if she were reformed, or perhaps this were an undercover sort of work and she would try to poison them or something... Oh bother, why did she have to put that thought in her head? Okay Void, relax, relax. Happy thoughts. It's just paranoia. Everything is fine.

...Maybe.

A-Anyway, she'd like a word, but that would be impossible if Null were here, as she feared her sisters encounter with a Grey member would end with her mindlessly attacking the being in question and attempting to throttle them. Sometimes Null could be more rational about things, but it had been a rather emotional day for her, and Void couldn't chance that her big sister were going to act rationally in a situation like that.

"Perhaps it'd h-help if you just s-stepped out for a few minutes, big s-sis? Just so she can c-calm down? We w-wouldn't want her to accidentally d-drop boiling water on h-herself, right?"

Null gave her little sister a narrowed, questioning look, but eventually would aim towards the door, and step out. Void might take a sigh of relief from that, but Null weren't foolish. She knew that something were up, so she'd listen at the door, trying to gather some information on whatever were going on that she did not want her big sister to hear. What did Void know that made her ask Null to take a step back?

"You h-have to talk low, or she'll h-hear you.

Now p-please, just... T-Tell me the truth. The fabric... You w-were part of the Grey, right? That's why you're n-nervous? You know about us, t-though them? I promise I don't w-want to see you hurt. I'm just... I need s-some answers, and big sis c-can't always deal with things r-rationally. Not w-when it comes to t-these sorts of things."

Void still had plenty of animosity towards members of the Grey, like their actual father for example. However, she had seen that things had changed, and had to accept that they had to as well, or they'd never get anywhere in this new world. And with others like the chef in the desert being former members, there were proof that they were not all bad. Some of them likely just hung around a bad crowd, and she couldn't fairly hold the actions of the few against the entire group for the rest of her life, even though she were unlikely to ever forgive the ones who truly hurt her family. Those directly involved there, she had a hard time believing that she could forgive, even if they had turned their lives around and tried to make amends for their actions.

Hopefully she'd never be confronted with any of them, and be faced with this dilemma. Except for their real father. That one would not be a dilemma, as he were undoubtedly a rotten creature, who deserved whatever misery life could throw his way for all he had done to them and their family.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

The mare had turned her face away, hiding it behind her hooves until Null had left the room. She stopped shaking but still covered her face as Void asked her questions. 

When Void had finished, the mare lowered her hooves to reveal that she hadn't been shaking, but tying on the blindfold that the grey cloth was. One eye could see through a ragged cut in the cloth, but it wasn't the mare's eye, there was no color to it, just the same steel grey. 

There was a voice, thoroughly masculine and old, it seemed to come from the mare, but her mouth didn't move. "Now that I've found you, you'll get all your answers in due time. We'll meet soon my daughter."

The mare shuddered as she tore the blindfold from off her eyes, then as she saw Void she fearfully scooted back as far as she could, staring to sob a bit more openly, "I can't leave, thought I'd be safe. The Grey Lives."

@Illiad Easle

"No..."

Void hadn't been sure what were going on as the chef had revealed the grey cloth and used it as a sort of blindfold. There seemed to be an eye hole, but then the eye in that hadn't matched with what the mare normally had, and she had just gotten more confused.

Then... The voice came.

Somehow, she just knew who it were as soon as he started to talk, even though she had to the best of her knowledge, never seen or heard his voice before. Abandoning both Null and her before they were even born, how were she supposed to? And yet, something just clicked in, and just got confirmed with his parting words, that left Void feeling pale and looking directly in front of her with fear in her eye.

"No!"

Whilst her first word had been merely a whisper, and restrained in volume, this second round thundered out of her muzzle, just before she fell to the floor with her hooves above her head.

Around a second after that, Null burst into the room, with fury flaring in her eyes as she sought out the culprit who had made her little sister cry out.

"What did you do to her!?"

She started to take steps towards the covering chef, but her anger and clear path towards this pony halted after a few steps, seeing that this one were not looking like someone that had caused an attack. More like someone who feared for their life, and she had sat like this before Null even got in.

"What th-"

"The G-Grey. They're not g-gone... And they know w-were here..."

Null's visage darkened substantially, and her eyes nearly sparked lightning as she heard this.

"Then let them come."

Her words dripped poison, but it were not directed at the cooking mare. Rather, it were just said out in the open, at no one in particular, though whoever were listening in might still be somewhat fearful of her. It were not something for everyone to hear a few words, carry with them so much promise of a long, torturous death. Accepted by Vengeance or not, Null would gladly take some time out of her day to skin the lot of those who had harmed them here, and oh, how she hoped that some of those who had been present when her wing were crushed were among them. She had wished to spill their blood for far, far too long now.

Regardless of her mood, she'd go over to Void and try to comfort her little sister, as the earth mare clung to Null, shaking profoundly. Void weren't meant for this sort of pressure, and especially not right now. They had important things to focus on, which were gonna be harder now that she'd worry about this, and Null would think over how she's flay the Grey alive, now that the cursed items she once had were no longer in her possession, and as such, couldn't be used for exactly that.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

The mare was still trembling, tears flowing freely given Null's outburst and cold demeanor. "No, Please... don't..."

She took a moment to compose herself. "We... we didn't join willingly, none of us did. We were a group headed here, all we could find of survivors out of Manehatten. We were about to leave the city when we got attacked by those horrid spawn, we had heard about them before but before the mercenaries destroyed the city we had never seen them. So many of us died, and we'd all have been killed if He hadn't stepped in to save us with his... I don't know what they were." She shuddered, "He said we could either join him, serve him, or go against the beasts again without him. So we had to accept, and he got us safely here, on the condition that we do as he asks until he considers our debts paid, and since he saved our lives..."

The tears started again, "Don't hurt them, please? I'm sure they wouldn't mean you harm if they had a choice."

She pulled her legs in tight, her forelimbs wrapped around her hind legs as she rocked back and forth on the floor, the tears still flowing.

The pot was boiling, and if they looked they could see the steam disappear as soon as it hit the shadow of the steam trap, none of it reaching the escape pipe. 

@Illiad Easle

Null turned her angry gaze towards the mare as she tried to beg for mercy for herself, and others in her position, who hadn't had much of a choice other than join.

"I. Don't. Care. You and your survival followers can praddle around much as you like, and I won't give a toss. But if I see anyone I remember- Or if ANYONE tries to come for Void, I will cleave them in half!"

This one she didn't care about. Not her little entourage either, who joined out of necessity to survive. They weren't the Real Grey. The monsters who had made their life miserable in the desert, taken their limbs, and brainwashed their parents. Those were the Grey, and gods of the world as her witness, she would rain fiery vengeance upon the lot of them, if she saw any of those miserable bottom feeders again.

That they were now still active and seemingly knew where they were, meant that some of the real ones were still alive. Their pathetic excuse of a leader too it seemed, and in a way, she felt some morbid joy over this, as it meant that she would still have a chance to make sure they wouldn't get away with what they had done to them.

"You, and whoever else joined by force, are not them. You're not the Real Grey. You're puppets, and your blood isn't worth soiling my hooves with.

No, you know what I want? I want your leaders head on a pike, and parade it through Troy for what he's done. And if you know what's best for you, you and the other goons to stay out of my way, or you will join him."

Hateful as she were, and much as she wanted vengeance on the Grey, she wanted it over the actual ones, and not some scrambling folks who had joined after the world was thrown into chaos, and had to do this, or die in the dunes. Not unless they joined in and tried to get to them, or stood in their way when Null would eventually come to fulfill her promise about decapitating their leader. They would've made their choices by then.

"...The o-old ones took e-everything from u-us. You d-didn't. P-Please, just... Don't be l-like them. You d-don't deserve to d-die..."

Void would be able to forgive those who had joined later with less hesitation than Null, and would prefer to do what she could to stop Null from killing anyone unless there weren't a choice, but that were only about the new ones. The older Grey from their days, had to have proven to really have changed for her to ever consider it, and their leader were beyond redemption. Null's idea were... Extreme, but some creatures were beyond mercy, and certain debts were never forgiven.

Still clutching her sister, Void shakingly got up from the floor and looked around with scared eyes, seeing if she could spot the shadow. Seeing the steam vanish, she guessed it were there, but she just didn't know for sure. She just knew she couldn't stay here anymore. She needed air.

So unless the mare would say more, she'd sling Null up on her back and head with hasty steps towards the exit, hoping that the shadow were following, or would soon show, and wouldn't stop until they got outside.

If the mare were to say something, she'd stay for a little longer though, giving the shadow some more time to eat the steam, and potentially herself and Null some more to respond to. Nervous about things as this one seemed though, it might be she would've just stayed curled up in a corner and started crying harder once Null started to talk.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

The mare did in fact simply cry harder at Null's words, She muttered something about not having a choice, but it wasn't loud enough to really be considered an attempt at communication.

As they left the shadow would join them the same way it had left them, dashing from shadow to shadow until it was in the dark rooms of the estate again.

"Well, if you hadn't gotten Karma's attention before you'd certainly have attracted it now. Given your previous encounter it looks like you just signed a pact with Vengeance." Nine paused for a moment, "I must say I'm impressed, I haven't felt such fury before, though it still pales in comparison to Her despair..."

"Your sister on the other side, such mercy she has. Kindness despite it all?"

Nine sighed, "You two really ought to rest, given what He's got planned for you tomorrow, plus the kid wants you to bring it back to Pen."

@Illiad Easle

On 9/28/2019 at 5:32 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Well, if you hadn't gotten Karma's attention before you'd certainly have attracted it now. Given your previous encounter it looks like you just signed a pact with Vengeance." Nine paused for a moment, "I must say I'm impressed, I haven't felt such fury before, though it still pales in comparison to Her despair..."

"Your sister on the other side, such mercy she has. Kindness despite it all?"

Nine sighed, "You two really ought to rest, given what He's got planned for you tomorrow, plus the kid wants you to bring it back to Pen."

"I won't sign anything, until after I have spoken to my family about this. They need to know what I'm going to do."

There had been little doubt in her mind before this, that she would indeed accept this pact with vengeance, though she wanted to pass it by her family to hear their input on the matter. Now though, knowing that The Grey were still here, and wanted to get to them, it wasn't a matter of If she were signing this deal with Vengeance anymore, but When. Her family deserved to know, and she wanted to hear the Consul about his experiences in the matter, and what the consequences were, but her mind had been made at this point, and it would take a lot to change it.

It felt right somehow, anyway. She weren't meant for a calm, normal life. Void deserved it, and could fit well into it, but sooner or later, Null knew that she wouldn't be able to just settle down herself. She'd always have this... Anger, flaring inside her. This want to make those who had beaten them down pay for what they did, and despite what Void and the others might hope for, Null just couldn't see her being able to let go of this. At best, perhaps she could one day just accept how things had become, and forgive herself. Piece together the broken parts without her guilt and pain burdening her as much. She weren't sure. Wishfully thinking everything would be okay had long since left her mind, but perhaps there were some solace in living with the purpose of vengeance. She'd see.

"But keep Void out of this. I've taken too much from her already. I'm not going to take away our family and her future again, because of My vendetta. She deserves better."

Whilst Null had this internal dialogue with Nine, Void had wandered some more into the night, to try and get her head straight again. There were a lot to tackle, and frankly, she didn't even know where to start.

"...The Consul needs to know. If the Grey are back, it's-"

"Who's to say he doesn't already know? Besides, he's sleeping. We won't get anything out of him other than aggression."

"Then what are we going to do?"

"Take the shadow back to Pen, and then we need some sleep too. We have a door to close tomorrow."

"...I guess. Uhm... Shadow? Could you lead the way, p-please?"

They'd follow if it did, towards wherever Pen were. Likely some sort of cell, hospital, or hospital cell, looking over the robotic doe.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

22 minutes ago, Blitz Boom said:

"But keep Void out of this. I've taken too much from her already. I'm not going to take away our family and her future again, because of My vendetta. She deserves better."

"There's less I could do for her than you, and very little I could have done to keep you from Vengeance."

The shadow led them to the front door, then stopped.

"Hmm, it can't exactly lead while the sun is out... And it's pretty hard to move it when it can't stay too close to either of you..."

The shadow gave the image of waving dismissively, then took the shape of a crude map, an arrow pointing from the center of a circle to a spot just outside of the circle, at about a right angle to the image of a sun and another of the moon.

"It'll get itself there when it can, it says that the place you should go is outside the city, on the north side."

(If they choose to go there)

The sun was now high above them as they left the Consul's estate, and it was getting quite warm outside despite the cooling breeze. The streets were somehow even more barren then last time.

Void would likely remember how they got there when they first entered the city, as the main road was just across the oasis in the direction of where the sen would set. They would arrive at the gates to find them nearly closed, to the point where only two ponies could fit through side by side rather than two full carts as when they had first arrived.

Exiting the city the air would be much less mobile, making the hot sand all the more noticeable, but the path to the north was clear, a hardened clay that seemed to make up the terrain under the sand served as a sort of road up to the base they had landed at after leaving Deltrot. In the distance they could see figures wandering the dunes, but whether they were the spawn or just wanderers was difficult to discern. 

If they just went off Void's memory, they'd find that the layout of the base hadn't changed, but the cell which had previously held Pen and Vale was conspicuously empty. There were guards nearby they could ask, or the same medic from before which had told Pen that they couldn't, or wouldn't, do anything for Vale.

@Illiad Easle

On 9/29/2019 at 9:37 PM, Illiad Easle said:

The shadow gave the image of waving dismissively, then took the shape of a crude map, an arrow pointing from the center of a circle to a spot just outside of the circle, at about a right angle to the image of a sun and another of the moon.

"It'll get itself there when it can, it says that the place you should go is outside the city, on the north side."

"Nine's saying the kid will get back on his own, 'cause we're dangerous to be near for it, and the light's blazing down. We're going out north to look for Pen."

"And for the record, I've been crying out for vengeance for most of my life. Go figure that there's an actual representation that'd eventually listen in."

She could go on about what she meant with Void, but Null had made her point known there, and she would try to keep avatars of Mercy away from tempting her. Which so far, were only that crystal one... Bah, damned if she could remember the name right now. Anyway, the two of them were gonna have a little chat about boundaries sooner or later, before she started to get any funny ideas about Void.

As for herself... She'd cross that bridge when she got there, but she were thinking that there would be some degree of protest to her decision. They'd see if things would end on a good or bad note with her family as time came.

Anyway, Null jumped down from Void, and started to walk towards the north side. She didn't care for sitting idly so much right now, so she took charge in leading them north throughout the streets, and towards a gate to the outside, though Void had to give directions now and again, as she backtracked her path towards the exit to the desert. Y'know, where the monsters were. Seemed like a legit smart place to keep a broken, mechanical deer and her defenseless, miniaturized skincrawler sidekick...

On 9/29/2019 at 9:37 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Exiting the city the air would be much less mobile, making the hot sand all the more noticeable, but the path to the north was clear, a hardened clay that seemed to make up the terrain under the sand served as a sort of road up to the base they had landed at after leaving Deltrot. In the distance they could see figures wandering the dunes, but whether they were the spawn or just wanderers was difficult to discern. 

If they just went off Void's memory, they'd find that the layout of the base hadn't changed, but the cell which had previously held Pen and Vale was conspicuously empty. There were guards nearby they could ask, or the same medic from before which had told Pen that they couldn't, or wouldn't, do anything for Vale.

Surprisingly easy to exit the town it turned out. Didn't have to sneak or threaten at all, just wander over and wait to be let out. It'd be interesting to see if getting back in were going to be as easy.

While Void kept her eye on the camp to see if she could find Pen or Vale, Null gave a glance towards the dunes, and the wandering figures out there. She didn't say a word, but there wasn't much to say either, as she were just wondering if once the gate closed, it would mean that all the creatures that had been let out here, would just vanish, or if some stragglers from Tartarus would remain? The deserts might not be that easily cleansed as they'd thought.

Getting her bearings again, Void took charge for the time being and wandered over to find that thankfully, Vale and Pen were not in the cage they had left them in. Which might mean that Vale were getting some degree of help now. Could also be they were stuck in a torture dungeon, but... She'd rather not think about that.

Regardless, now came the task of trying to find where they were currently, and for that, the safest one to ask were the doctor in her mind, as he were the same who had been there earlier from what she could remember. Hence, she headed towards him, and clearer her throat when she were close enough to get his attention, unless he had already seen her at that point.

"E-Excuse me? I don't k-know if you remember us, but w-we came in earlier, and c-caused a bit of a stir with the g-guards and t-the uhm... W-Well, mechanical deer and her s-smaller friend that you d-didn't seem to get along w-with. We're trying to f-find them, to s-see how they're doing. Could we a-ask where they are? Hopefully s-somewhere safe."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

The medic seemed a bit surprised by them speaking to him, taking a step back as he spun to face them, "Oh! Sorry, I thought I was getting ambushed by... them." He shuddered, "As to that... thing," he had a sneer of disgust, "I can't say I know, nor care. We have enough monsters out there killing guards, we don't need any more. That changeling," he shook his head, "Can't see why they keep it around, even pretends to be a medic, it had them taken somewhere. Again I don't much care where, but I hope to just be dumped out on the wastes, maybe that'll keep the spawn away for a bit. Now if you're quite done wasting my time?" He didn't wait for a response as he turned back to whatever he was doing and walked off.

Once the medic had moved away, and provided they didn't go after him, one of the guards would speak up, pointing to a small medical tent to one side of the compound. "The changeling medic had us bring them to that tent. Haven't seen them leave so I'd guess they're still there." She shrugged, "I haven't been here all day though."

If the go to the tent.

The tent was closed, likely to keep the sand out, and had a pair of guards in front of it, and they would move to prevent them from entering.

@Illiad Easle

19 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Can't see why they keep it around, even pretends to be a medic, it had them taken somewhere. Again I don't much care where, but I hope to just be dumped out on the wastes, maybe that'll keep the spawn away for a bit. Now if you're quite done wasting my time?"

"You got the bedside manners of a Harrowmark Stitcher, with half the medical skills."

Null sneered this at him as she saw that he were starting to turn, not caring whatsoever if he listened to her or not. Heck, even if he did, he likely wouldn't understand how rude this comment were, as Stitchers were a particular, elusive brand of necromancers that she hadn't heard mentions off other places than Harrowmark, and some in Germane, though there it were only as stories.

They shouldn't have met one either, as their trip into Harrowmark had only been a few weeks, and they were very much not welcome during that time, yet as they had sought shelter in what they thought were an abandoned hut in the swamps and ran into a delusional hermit that started to rant at them, they'd learn otherwise. Not from him though. he were just another loner who had gone crazed from the lack of social interactions and the unfiltered dark magic that seeped in everywhere messing with his already unstable mind. No, their experience had been from the one who came around and claimed him.

She had been a rather nice pony all things considered. Just came around to, as she said, *Settle a score* and drained what life energy were left in the hermit once she got him pinned to the ground with foul magic. Didn't even try to attack the sisters, of take anything from them. Just sitting there for a time, having a chat, and explain what sort of sorcery she were partaking in, and finding their curse highly amusing, as it not affecting her made her certain that the... Ergh, whatever it where it in her chest, were keeping her soul safely in control of the body, even around anti-magic like theirs.

Essentially, as she put it, her degree of necromancy were above what one expected from a lich. She were able to live on without a soul, yet she made bargains and deals with beings who were close to death, and if they agreed, she'd ensure they got their last wish, in exchange for their bodies. She'd then fix it up - where the term *Stitcher* came from, according to her - and make use of it, just as if it were her own. Bodily functions and such would continue as if she were just a regular, mortal being, and as such, she'd eventually die too. From age usually, as illnesses and damages could be repaired. Then she'd go on to find a new body, and the whole thing began anew.

Apparently she maintained the skills and some of the memories of the previous owner, so every life brought with it new lessons, and added to her own skills. She were sort of vague with some of the more juicy details, clearly not wanting to share too much.

Anyway, reason why Null made a connection between the rude so called doctor and this sort of being, were that a stitcher apparently were good at things such as reattaching limbs, replace bone or flesh, that sort of thing. Usually not what you connected to necromancy, but there were some good in the magic if you knew how to make use of it, and varied other spells to ensure it wouldn't be a mess of half-risen ghouls and such everywhere.

Pretty much the sort of crude medical skill one had to work with here, which made the connection to be one where she said that the doctor were half as good as a creature who had some fine healing properties, but wouldn't know how to fix a broken leg as much as just rip the old one off and replace it out of simplicity - a rather crude and messy alternative - along with having the bedside manner of a literal body snatcher, taking advantage of the dying.

Regardless, she had made her comment, and as they heard the guard who were actually helpful to them point them in the right direction - Void gave him a stammering, yet appreciative thanks with a small smile on her face - they'd scurry over to what were likely where the two still were. otherwise, the guards wouldn't have a reason to refuse entry here, right? Made no sense if there weren't some sort of important creature in there.

"Uhm, e-excuse me, but a-are the consul's *guest* in h-here? One of them l-looks like a little p-pony, and the other is s-sorta... W-Well, a metallic d-deer? We've k-known them for a while n-now, but h-havnet been able to v-visit and see if t-they were okay yet."

"Consul dragged us off. Had something to ask us, and he's gonna want them to open up too."

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

One of the guards looked over with a skeptical look, "As far as I was made aware, you two are his guests. Consul Easle hasn't sent any word about those creatures. Regardless, we've orders to maintain quarantine until Doc says otherwise."

As if summoned by its name the changeling medic that they had seen in the lab poked his head out. "I thought I heard familiar voices, you two should be just what they need to see right now." He moved to hold the tent door open for them, "I understand my presence will hardly make you comfortable, so I'll stay outside unless you need me."

Inside the tent looked like a standard exam room, the mechanical deer lay on her side on the exam table and Pen stood off to one side, now she was as big as a normal pony. She looked happy to see them. "Oh good! I had hoped Sean would find you two! Did you bring him with you?"

Vale wouldn't move until the changeling had closed the tent flap behind them, at which point it would raise its head up to look at them, one of her eyes was clearly natural, while the other was wholly mechanical, the skin was damaged around the whole right side of her face, exposing the mechanisms beneath, though also where the natural tissues had been connected to the mechanical parts. Her natural eye looked them over, but the mechanical one just stared straight ahead.

Of her limbs, it seemed that both of her hind legs where at least mostly mechanical, while only her right foreleg was wholly natural, the rest was mechanical at least as far as the skin exposed. One of her hind legs' mechanisms were badly damaged.

She pointed to a scalpel that sat on a nearby tray of tools, and motioned for them to give it to her.

@Illiad Easle

On 10/4/2019 at 3:57 AM, Illiad Easle said:

As if summoned by its name the changeling medic that they had seen in the lab poked his head out. "I thought I heard familiar voices, you two should be just what they need to see right now." He moved to hold the tent door open for them, "I understand my presence will hardly make you comfortable, so I'll stay outside unless you need me."

Null nearly growled as she saw the changeling, and Void took a half step back, not wanting to seem rude, but her knee-jerk reactions regarding changelings were still there, and being this close and frankly surprising her with a sudden appearance, had made her react instinctively.

Null walked past the doctor, not giving him the time of day and clearly wanting nothing to do with him. Void on the other hoof, lingered for a bit, and gathered herself for a moment, before actually speaking to the doctor.

"I'm s-sorry, it's n-nothing personal, just... V-Very bad e-experiences with c-changelings, and it t-takes time to get past. Please e-excuse me."

Void would awkwardly move past the changeling, internally shaking quite a bit. It were a marketable improvement over the last time, when she had essentially just shrieked and cried, but there were still some way to go. Hopefully next time, she'd be able to accept him more openly, and finally be on the path to get past the trauma their kind had inflected on the two of them.

She'd come in to see Null nodding her head towards the now taller Pen, after giving her a long look, just to try and soak everything in. Seemed like she had been eating her dust recently, considering she wasn't a small one anymore.

Inside the tent looked like a standard exam room, the mechanical deer lay on her side on the exam table and Pen stood off to one side, now she was as big as a normal pony. She looked happy to see them. "Oh good! I had hoped Sean would find you two! Did you bring him with you?"

"He said he'd find his own way here. Too dangerous to stay near us, and the sun's blazing.

Sean? The shadow creature's name were... You know what? Fine, whatever. Sean the Shadow. Sounded like a children's book character, but fine, not her issue, and they had bigger fish to fry. Or deer, though this one sure didn't look like there'd be much meat on her if they did.

While she still detested deer, Null would lie if she didn't have some fascination with how the metal and flesh part blended in. Almost looked like she had been through some sort of transformation process, and quite honestly? Sounded about right. They'd run into a lot of things that could do that sort of thing, just less... Futuristic in nature.

She pointed to a scalpel that sat on a nearby tray of tools, and motioned for them to give it to her.

Void were mainly concerned with Vale, seeing how the doe looked in a horrible state. One of her legs were highly damaged and essentially non-functional from what she could tell, and that hit a little close to home for Void. It made her sympathize more with the doe, though also worry how much were real doe, and how much were just a machine that could be repaired. It looked like there had been skin just going over mechanical areas where the skin were torn so who could say if it wasn't just a complete machine they were looking at?

Well... Guess it didn't matter though, right? She were seemingly Pen's friend, and Void weren't sure anymore how bad Vale had actually been, even when she had been assisting the doctors in the facility. She couldn't just let her wither away and think nothing of it.

Picking up the scalpel, she'd reach it towards Vale, but would stagger, unsure of what the doe wanted with this.

"Just give it to her. If she wants to end it, she got the right to chose, and if she tries to get uppity, I'm not above beating someone laying down. Or it's for something else, I dunno, and I don't care. Let's just get this over with."

Void din't agree with the sentiment entirely, but she'd go over and reach the scalpel the last bit of way regardless, giving it to Vale. Hopefully this weren't going to be a mistake.

Unless Pen stopped them for some reason of course.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom

Pen grimaced and looked away when they passed the scalpel to Vale, but she didn't stop them.

Vale gripped the scalpel sideways in her mouth, the blade pointing to the same side as the foreleg with the exposed mechanical parts. Her whole body tensed for a moment before she suddenly and violently stabbed the scalpel into her own whither. She gave off a sound muffled by her clenched teeth around the scalpel as her whole body shuddered, a small amount of blood starting to seep out of the puncture. She held still a moment, then turned the scalpel a bit, before violently jerking the handle away from her extended foreleg. There was a prominent pop, much like a limb being dislocated.

She gingerly pulled the scalpel out and spat it onto the floor, then she gripped the exposed foreleg with the natural looking one and her mouth, and with a tug she disconnected it from her body, the skin covering tearing just below her new stab wound to reveal that the leg was wholly mechanical up to the joint where it had previously been connected to her body.

She didn't seem to notice that she was still bleeding as she removed the rest of the skin that had previously been covering the false limb, she retrieved a small set of tools that were hidden in a compartment in the leg, and began to remove components from it.

Pen looked back still with a bit of a horrified expression, "Sorry about that, She's been... different, since she got ejected."

Pen walked around to prepare a bandage for Vale's stab wound, carefully moving the bloody scalpel into a hazardous materials bin as she did.

If they looked closely, they'd be able to notice that her blood had an oddly gold shine to it, as it dried where it dripped it was a distinctly different shade from the dried blood they'd seen before.

If they didn't try to stop her, once she had broken down her detached foreleg into many smaller pieces, she'd display remarkable flexibility and begin to remove parts of the damaged hind leg, replacing the broken pieces with the parts from her foreleg.