Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

researching Arrows and Enter breaking while writing.

Catpone Cerberus

So, I have been having an issue for a while now where the text box at the forums stops reacting to me pressing Enter or the Arrow keys. It seems random, as the length or content of the post that's being written doesn't seem to matter, though with Enter-key it seems to be more frequent with longer posts. I first guessed that my well used keyboard is just starting to die, but I doubt that being the case since it happens only here.  (Though it seems to happen 100% of times when I'm writing a PM, but I write them so rarely that it doesn't necessary mean anything.)

Refreshing the page always fixes it.

• Brohoof 1

This is a quite old bug. :P

I perfectly know what you're talking about, as I have bumped into that issue countless of times. :mlp_icwudt:

One of the ways to recreate it is to put emoticons by typing their names. It occasionally breaks when doing so. When you're typing these like this:

Spoiler

JiVuz61.gif

There's a chance, that after selecting the emoticon it will insert it AND create a new paragraph. Normally it puts the emoticon and lets you type further after it.

Now when after putting one it magically decides to go to next line, arrow keys refuse to work, so does enter. What's more, the search box with these won't appear anymore.

Spoiler

W3M0RJN.gif

So you'll have to type their full names or use another way to put these.

Also, you can't create new paragraphs ( ENTER ), but creating new lines ( SHIFT + ENTER ) still work.

I'm suspecting, that the emoticon search is not disposed properly - you can't see it on the screen, but input still seems to be bound to it. All other keys work, except the ones, that are used to navigate in that search box (arrows to move selection and enter to select).

I know how painful it can be. Sadly, at the moment I don't know any way to fix this besides refreshing the page. :twi:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Rikifive said:

This is a quite old bug. :P

I perfectly know what you're talking about, as I have bumped into that issue countless of times. :mlp_icwudt:

One of the ways to recreate it is to put emoticons by typing their names. It occasionally breaks when doing so. When you're typing these like this:

Reveal hidden contents

JiVuz61.gif

There's a chance, that after selecting the emoticon it will insert it AND create a new paragraph. Normally it puts the emoticon and lets you type further after it.

Now when after putting one it magically decides to go to next line, arrow keys refuse to work, so does enter. What's more, the search box with these won't appear anymore.

Reveal hidden contents

W3M0RJN.gif

So you'll have to type their full names or use another way to put these.

Also, you can't create new paragraphs ( ENTER ), but creating new lines ( SHIFT + ENTER ) still work.

I'm suspecting, that the emoticon search is not disposed properly - you can't see it on the screen, but input still seems to be bound to it. All other keys work, except the ones, that are used to navigate in that search box (arrows to move selection and enter to select).

I know how painful it can be. Sadly, at the moment I don't know any way to fix this besides refreshing the page. :twi:

I get it sometimes while replying RPs too, and there I don't use any emoticons :twi: but I use mentions there, so could that have a similar issue? Since they act generally bit weird. 

But I understand and thank you for information :)

Edited by Catpone Cerberus
  • Brohoof 1

Some odd things also happe when you are in a thread that has an object entered in it that has a conflict with a themes CSS. Twitter embeds and such. Small things like that are on my list to look at since I have access to the themes (but won’t touch the actual .php files). 

A good amount of out known issues are due to the editor that IPS uses for this software and how it appears to be baked in. I’d say a good amount of the issues we see need to be resolved on their end, and this is one of them. 

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Catpone Cerberus said:

I get it sometimes while replying RPs too, and there I don't use any emoticons :twi: but I use mentions there, so could that have a similar issue? Since they act generally bit weird. 

But I understand and thank you for information :)

Yes, mentions also tend to break. I'm not 100% sure if exactly the same thing happens there though, as I haven't tested things yet (and now I'm on mobile). Either way, at the moment I can tell, that it prevents you from mentioning more users, that's what I know for sure. - and due to it also calling that search box, I suspect its magical disappearance can be the case here as well. :twi:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
  • The topic was locked