Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hello From Japan!

Jess S.

I didn't anyone actively living in Japan has signed up on these Forums. I know I'm likely wrong, but I never met a person on this website from Japan

People from America, Canada, France, Germany, and Australia, yes. But Japan? Never before. And I never thought I would. I just thought Japan doesn't have access to this website, but I guess I was wrong. :o

• Brohoof 2

On 8/20/2019 at 9:19 AM, Jess S. said:

Lol well I'm not fluent, just around basic conversation.

It is more though. Being able to navigate Tokyo. Knowing how to act around people, and understanding the culture. And the food! :mlp_yeehaa:

• Brohoof 1

@Jess S.

I know this has been done before, but if you made a Youtube video walking around Tokyo, showing stuff, talking about how you got there..... A vblog maybe. I would totally watch that! (I don't know how possible it is to walk around in public with a video camera talking, but I have seen it before).

• Brohoof 1

On 8/22/2019 at 1:42 AM, Bas said:

This is a bit OOT, but I can figure quite some aspects;

- Japaneses are not too fond of...foreigners. Officially, they are, of course, and I guess even politicians are trying to be make it another way, but that does not change that many foreigners are discriminated in the country, social environments and work. I see some parallels in this to that the law and police doesn't interfere much for crimes happening within Japanese families, they are expected to solve these internally.

- Just like the Chinese, or Arabian people, it must be WAY harder for them to learn our languages - They don't even use the same alphabet! I sometimes joke about how bad the English skills are of Asians, only to admit in the same sentence that their English skills are still faaar superior to my Japanese or Chinese skills. Oops, I just did that again.:mustache:

I think I only saw like one Chinese guy ever on the internet, and for Japanese? I think only these that are not born there, like the OT, 1-2 other ppl at these forums, and 1-2 webmasters I know of.

I actually thought one of MLPF staffers would be living in Japan. I just did check like 80% of the staff page but couldn't locate any. :please:

I wouldn't say that the Japanese aren't "fond" of foreigners from my experience, but it's more like they don't know how to deal with being around foreigners. There's not many of us here and, especially us Americans, tend to be more socially obnoxious and loud than most Japanese. Can't say anything in regards to a white collar work environment because I work as an actor and some modeling where half of the reason I get hired is for having a foreign face. Lol

Racism is a thing in Japan, but it's the same in every country on this planet. According to black friends of mine here, however, they feel better treated here in Japan than back in America. I would say that being a minority in Japan is certainly weird and sometimes annoying, but from what I've seen and heard from living in the US, it's better to be a minority in Japan where we don't have to fear of being harassed or assaulted for being of a different race.

Also, those infamous ultranationalists that drive around in those black vans spouting Imperial propaganda and anti-foreigner crap? Most Japanese dislike them.

19 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Welcome to MLP Forums @Jess S.! P.S....Nice to see a fellow Princess Cadie lover. :love:

Praise the Pink One!

IMG_20190221_084650.jpg

6 minutes ago, Splashee said:

@Jess S.

I know this has been done before, but if you made a Youtube video walking around Tokyo, showing stuff, talking about how you got there..... A vblog maybe. I would totally watch that! (I don't know how possible it is to walk around in public with a video camera talking, but I have seen it before).

I've thought about it honestly. Friend of mine in my sharehouse is a Youtuber who does that and says you just get used to it. Problem is you can't record in plenty of stores here in Tokyo.

4 minutes ago, Jess S. said:

I've thought about it honestly. Friend of mine in my sharehouse is a Youtuber who does that and says you just get used to it. Problem is you can't record in plenty of stores here in Tokyo.

Yea, I guessed that.

There are also other interesting things about you, like how you became a print model. Did it start our early in your life? (I probably should ask all these things in your Ask thread, you might already have answers in there).

You have access to Japan in a way that is so fascinating to me (because you are an American, that is a direct access for me and others to talk about it). You don't have to be good at the language. It is so much more than that! :o

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Yea, I guessed that.

There are also other interesting things about you, like how you became a print model. Did it start our early in your life? (I probably should ask all these things in your Ask thread, you might already have answers in there).

You have access to Japan in a way that is so fascinating to me (because you are an American, that is a direct access for me and others to talk about it). You don't have to be good at the language. It is so much more than that! :o

Lol I didn't start acting and modeling until a couple months before I moved to Japan. I Japan I didn't get my first job for 3 months and that was a for a hotel commercial shoot. Now I'm kinda busy. 

Japan is certainly interesting, can get boring after a while. I really enjoy going to the countryside when I can however. Never been a fan of living in the city. I'm here to learn the language and it certainly helps when your here and it makes you look good to Japanese people. :P

1 minute ago, Jess S. said:

Lol I didn't start acting and modeling until a couple months before I moved to Japan. I Japan I didn't get my first job for 3 months and that was a for a hotel commercial shoot. Now I'm kinda busy. 

Japan is certainly interesting, can get boring after a while. I really enjoy going to the countryside when I can however. Never been a fan of living in the city. I'm here to learn the language and it certainly helps when your here and it makes you look good to Japanese people. :P

That is even more interesting than I first imagine.

So i don't know much about the country side of Japan, other than watching the Anime "My Neighbor Totoro" which captures a nice part of the nature, buildings, weather. I love it! I am not a city person myself, and I'm living on a farm, on the country side.

• Brohoof 1