Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ashen Pathfinder

DISCLAIMER: SPOILERS FOR SEASON 9 FINALE! ONLY WARNING!

So, this is something that I have been giving some thought. We know that Sombra is fairly full of himself and is only out for himself. Nothing in any of his canon appearances really dispute that, and it's really no surprise that he turns down Grogar's offer to form an alliance. Again, we're talking about a pony whose "heart is as black as night" with little to no remorse present., and has shown himself fully capable of waging war.

That said...what if King Sombra actually knew that Grogar was in fact really Discord, or at least knew something was off? Yes, there's nothing that explicitly supports that as fact, but at the same time Sombra's mannerisms toward the ram made me think a little. Do you remember just how dismissive he was towards Grogar going by his facial expressions?

"I too have heard of the first Emperor of Equestria. The "father of monsters.""

image.png

Of course, that look he gave Grogar can mean many things, but for the sake of argument, let's consider that "father of monsters" was a sort of slander, knowing that this was the chaotic trickster all along and not the first Emperor of Equestria. Or at least; he suspected something was off.

In any case, my main point is that Sombra was not impressed or intimidated like the other three were. Again, he's full of himself and he's shown himself able to wage war so his over-confidence is most likely here, but I also like to think that he knew something was off with the old goat and wanted no part of an alliance. Sombra has shown himself to be very intelligent, so the possibility is there.

That said, I realize this is a long shot, but it's an idea I wanted to share. :p

• Brohoof 5

Not a bad idea.

I will say this though. Sombra destroying the Tree of Harmony was not part of "Grogar's" deal with Sombra. He simply sent Sombra straight to the Crystal Empire, with an annoyed "Very well, Mr. Lone Wolf of Evil Kings, go and let's here how you fare on your own."

• Brohoof 1

Perhaps Sombra saw himself as being better than the rest of them and didn't want to be dragged down by their failures? Sure, Sombra also failed in the past but then the other villains have failed more often than he did--'Grogar' being an exception to the rule. Or, he just didn't want to share in the glory that came with conquering the Crystal Empire and Equestria. Unlike the other villains though, Sombra has been destroyed once so being destroyed again by 'Grogar' at the time meant nothing to him. He had seen what it was like for himself and it held no control over him.

Despite being seen as one of the weakest villains in terms of personality, Sombra is certainly full of surprises.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, PathHaunterCS said:

That said, I realize this is a long shot, but it's an idea I wanted to share. :p

If you consider this to be a long shot, you'll love my King Sombra theories. :umad:

Glad stuff like this is finally being brought up by staff members now, I have never believed that there isn't more to Sombra than meets the eye. Also do not forget that for Discord's plan to gradually prune Twilight with one villain before having her fight a whole team to make sense, he has to preemptively know that Sombra will defy him. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Maybe it wasn't even the real Sombra, but something created by Discord to show the other characters what happens if the trio don't work together. :mlp_huh: Would explain the weird voice.

10 hours ago, PathHaunterCS said:

But this is also a long shot. XD

Discord Sombra(One Deadly Combo) by Wonder-Waffle

https://www.deviantart.com/wonder-waffle/art/Discord-Sombra-One-Deadly-Combo-405460985

Edited by Hierok
  • Brohoof 1