Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most OOC Moment?

Stardust Live

What moment did you consider most OOC for a particular character? This can be just bad writing or it can be something you personally think is not in-character for the pony in question.

For me, :

1. Pinkie Pie's cruel comments to Fluttershy in the Ponytones episode and making her cry with panic and fear over her stage right.

2. Spike's sheer incompetence in Spike at your Service. His best moments as support were moments like in Lesson Zero and Once Upon a Zepplin as a calm, composed and organised little guy, not the hapless little brother they suddenly made him.

3. I personally didn't like Chrysalis' sudden dismissive and cruel attitude to the Changlings in the Thorax episode, considering how she explicitly said in her debut she was doing the massive deceit to feed her people, and she was shown guarding the slumbering changlings in the comics when she was in prison. This could be more 'taking her in another direction' than OOC but I felt like I should mention it.

• Brohoof 2

#1 and #3 are debatable - Pinkie Pie wasn't being cruel, just oblivious. As for Chrysalis, her behavior suggests that it is possible - probable, even - that her desire to provide for her people was secondary to her desire for power.

#2 is totally legit.

You want some real "out of character" action? How abut "Non-Compete Clause"? One would expect that Applejack and Rainbow Dash would be capable of setting their competitive streak aside when the safety of their students is at stake, but nooooo...

Or "2, 4, 6, Great!" - Rainbow Dash being disappointed in being assigned to the cheer squad instead of being involved in actual athletics is understandable. Shamelessly taking it out on the squad and being overtly disrespectful to kids who also have her as a teacher? That goes beyond "assassinating her character" and into the realm of "defiling the corpse".

• Brohoof 4

3 hours ago, Stardust Live said:

What moment did you consider most OOC for a particular character? This can be just bad writing or it can be something you personally think is not in-character for the pony in question.

For me, :

1. Pinkie Pie's cruel comments to Fluttershy in the Ponytones episode and making her cry with panic and fear over her stage right.

2. Spike's sheer incompetence in Spike at your Service. His best moments as support were moments like in Lesson Zero and Once Upon a Zepplin as a calm, composed and organised little guy, not the hapless little brother they suddenly made him.

3. I personally didn't like Chrysalis' sudden dismissive and cruel attitude to the Changlings in the Thorax episode, considering how she explicitly said in her debut she was doing the massive deceit to feed her people, and she was shown guarding the slumbering changlings in the comics when she was in prison. This could be more 'taking her in another direction' than OOC but I felt like I should mention it.

Before I answer I just wanna give my take on 1). I know how it can seem OOC but actually I felt that was in character and I can see that Pinkie, who would never be cruel, did not realise it could be a cruel comment in the moment. Chaotic characters like Pinkie don't wanna stop and think about circumstances/consequences. They fix on action. I think Pinkie was upset by the anxiety of the situation, struggles to understand Flutters, and was trying to lighten things up and distract Flutters there.

2) and 3) totally agreed. Especially 3) But 20minute kid shows gotta show :P Bring on MLP the HBO series full of brooding prolonged plots and vengeance >:3 Tbh they could just use one of the longer fan fics.

Anyway, it's not exactly OOC, but I love the way in Dragonshy it was Dashie always being a bit jerky and spouting hard truths to Flutters (element of Honesty?), while it was AJ being loyal and taking her up the mountain, without expressing her doubts about the shy mare's utility massacring befriending the dragon (element of Loyalty?). The Friendship is Witchcraft's ep on this :D

• Brohoof 2

On 2021-01-10 at 10:01 AM, HedonismBot said:

Or "2, 4, 6, Great!" - Rainbow Dash being disappointed in being assigned to the cheer squad instead of being involved in actual athletics is understandable. Shamelessly taking it out on the squad and being overtly disrespectful to kids who also have her as a teacher? That goes beyond "assassinating her character" and into the realm of "defiling the corpse".

When S6 came things were already going wrong but after this episode it would have been much less insulting for the writers to just come out and admit they hated the character instead of constantly telling us "everyone's gonna have a satisfying conclusion" while making this crap in the same breath

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

that one time applejack got pissed off at a pony that dislikes apples and prefers strawberries lol can't remember which season and episode. But in later seasons, there has been a lot of OOC moments that kinda irritated me /ᐠ。ꞈ。ᐟ\

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, yungsparkle7 said:

that one time applejack got pissed off at a pony that dislikes apples and prefers strawberries lol can't remember which season and episode. 

You're thinking of "Honest Apple", where Rarity asked Applejack to help judge a fashion show despite AJ warning her about her utter lack of knowledge of fashion. You'd think Rarity would know that one cannot offer intelligent criticism of a creator's work without at least some knowledge of the creative field in question. You'd also think that Applejack, despite having no knowledge of fashion, would know better than to make condescending comments when she's supposed to be offering constructive criticism.

• Brohoof 2

Spitfire & Fleetfoot: Lying to Soarin, whose wing had already healed and was only waiting in the hospital wing until they came to get him out, in order to have Dash replace him on the Cloudesdale aerial relay team.

Rainbow Dash & AJ: Already said — disregarding the safety of their students as they canoed down a rocky part of the river. You'd think the safety of their students would come first. Instead, Yona almost drowned because of their stupidity!

For a Dash-only secondary example, pranking Fluttershy in 28PL. Lemme get this straight. You KNEW one of your closest friends really hates being pranked. You once stopped yourself when Pinkie made you realize it was not a good idea. Yet in the dark night, you prank her and scare the bejeezus out of her, and you DON'T regret it?! C'mon, man!

Fluttershy: Threatening to throw Smoky & family out of Rarity For You. No. Just no. No matter what alter ego she puts herself under, her love for animals comes first. Why were Smoky, Softpad, and Smoky Jr. allowed to stay in the store? Because that store was their home, and the ReMane Six agreed that they live there. You'd think this would be on her mind, especially after admitting at the end to pretending to be other personalities.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

It felt OOC in the later seasons when Rarity took advantage of Spike’s servitude and never apologized for it later or anything

And then she tried to sabotage his friendship with Gabby because it was leaving him with less time to perform free labor for her.

It's a damn good thing the comic is still going - many of the characters did NOT get the sendoff they deserved.

• Brohoof 2

11 hours ago, Stardust Live said:

she was shown guarding the slumbering changlings in the comics

The comics were never intended to be canon to the show since they were written by a different team of people. And so, I do really can't agree that she's a caring mother. This blog from fimfiction (which I believe was written by fellow staff member C. Discord) even brings up good points as to why she's been a terrible mother even in her debut episode of S2's Finale. If you want a story where Chrysalis rules over just one of many Changeling Kingdoms and want to befriend ponies and their lands while keeping some other world-conquering Changeling Kingdoms at bay, I recommend

Back of topic, while I acknowledge all the OOC moments that have already been written can make people mad, it makes me roll my eyes at worst and usually imagine ways the scene could have played out more in character.. Honestly, you would have to hit my berserk button to get me mad. 

Yeah, I don't understand 2,4,6,Greeat considering, well, wasn't Rainbow Falls all about going with the 'better' team? Sure, Cheerleading vs. Sports Team wasn't the conflict, but RD also puffed up the cheers in the episode with the CMC doing a routine in preparation for the Games in the Crystal Empire. It just seems like she's being needlessly dismissive when it should have played to her strengths. It would have been better as a far earlier episode, like S1-2 rather than so late into RD's journey

AJ's paranoia would have been more understanding if something terrible had happened to Applebloom, but ... well, nothing did before she went borderline pathological with how protective she was. I see this as something more like Rarity would do with Sweetie Belle rather than the more grounded Applejack. For me, the nets and the padding around the trees snapped my suspension of disbelief. Those things I should have seen Applejack as not even consider dangerous at all! I mean, it's like considering your own lawn dangerous!

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, Twilight Sparkle was pretty out of character in A Trivial Problem. She had grown so much prior to that and turned back to her perfection obsession in a snap. It didn’t feel right to me.