Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Am I the only one who doesn't like My Hero Academia?

Sazama Ichida

It started out good but boy did it go downhill. I tried to be patient and give this anime a chance. But I came to realize that I just really don't care for it. It felt like it just kept getting sillier and the opposite of better as it went on. So I decided to drop it after episode 13 of Season 3.

Them's fighting words! 

Actually, I've never been that big of a Boku boy. Wouldn't call MHA one of my all-time favorites, but even I can see why someone wouldn't like something that is one of my all-time favorites like Jojo or Hunter. However, "going downhill" is not how I'd personally describe MHA. Never found it super great, but I think the quality of the series is still good. 

2 hours ago, Starforce Glimmer said:

I've never watched anime in general, I've always just had a dislike for the style and animation of those genres. 

I've known you for a bit..... And I'm sure there's an anime you'd really like just for the story itself. 

• Brohoof 1

No, of course not.

Plenty of people dislike/don’t care for anime that is popular. Some people don’t like it because they watched it and decided they didn’t or they dislike it simply because so many people talk about it. Whatever your reason is, it doesn’t matter. You don’t like it, you don’t like it. You’re definitely not alone.

It's...alright. Sometimes it can keep my attention, otherwise not so much. Like the current arc they're doing in the anime. That kinda stuff just bores the heck out of me. MHA also suffers from being too cheesy and has some really aggravating characters...and really eye rolling "humor" with that perverted kid (the one with grapes for hair or whatever).

You see, the thing is with a long running Shonen you either have to have a really interesting story (which most Shonen are not know for, lets be honest lol), or you have to have really lovable characters, and I don't feel like this series particularly hits it out of the park in either way.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Asbel Lhant said:

My main reason for disliking it is that I just find it way too silly. Same goes for One Piece and Fairy Tail.

If you compare it to one piece and fairytale.... Those are way to silly to compare to academia.... I'd compare it to Naruto... Naruto has dark plot with silly in it.

2 hours ago, The Wife of Hawks said:

No, of course not.

Plenty of people dislike/don’t care for anime that is popular. Some people don’t like it because they watched it and decided they didn’t or they dislike it simply because so many people talk about it. Whatever your reason is, it doesn’t matter. You don’t like it, you don’t like it. You’re definitely not alone.

I was expecting to plus ultra prominence burn the living shit out of him.:laugh:

Who you!!!:laugh:

1 hour ago, Envy said:

It's...alright. Sometimes it can keep my attention, otherwise not so much. Like the current arc they're doing in the anime. That kinda stuff just bores the heck out of me. MHA also suffers from being too cheesy and has some really aggravating characters...and really eye rolling "humor" with that perverted kid (the one with grapes for hair or whatever).

You see, the thing is with a long running Shonen you either have to have a really interesting story (which most Shonen are not know for, lets be honest lol), or you have to have really lovable characters, and I don't feel like this series particularly hits it out of the park in either way.

...but this is the only action anime that makes me cry:(

10 hours ago, Kujamih said:

If you compare it to one piece and fairytale.... Those are way to silly to compare to academia.... I'd compare it to Naruto... Naruto has dark plot with silly in it.

One Piece actually covers rather dark themes, such as racism, slavery, classism, oppressive governments that turn a blind eye to suffering people, etc. It seems rather silly, and it is a very humorous series at times, but the themes that underpin it are very real and the stories can be very heartbreaking.

Can't say much for Fairy Tail. It really is a series that I liked less and less the more it went on, sadly.

10 hours ago, Kujamih said:

...but this is the only action anime that makes me cry:(

To each their own. I'm glad you get something out of it and the characters. =)

That just doesn't happen for me. I felt for Midoriya early on because he was quirkless but strived to be a hero, something he physically couldn't be because of limitations outside of his control. And it was happy when he got granted a quirk and everything, but I've just had a hard time feeling for the series since. It's not to say it hasn't been worth a watch, but it isn't ever something I look forward to, and as I said, right now it's just really a drag and it quite often gets into these kinds of things and it's hard to get back into it.

I love anime. The problem with me is the time is takes to go through it. I watched all of Dragonball Super. I want to get into My Hero Acadamia, but I feel like it'll be a chore having to watch it all the way from the very beginning...

There will always people who love, like, don't care, dislike or hate something. This is a universal truth. Therefore, you're of course not the only one. As a matter of  fact I know people from all these five categories for this particular anime.

Me personal: I like anime and have watched enough of it in my time. But I never came around to this one, just because I never had the time. I have also no opinion about because I practically don't know anything about it.

12 hours ago, Kujamih said:

I actually like Naruto though. I'm probably the only one who likes it better and thinks it's the better anime.

I don't really watch anime, so I can't say that I dislike My Hero Academia because I haven't seen it before. With that said, I'm not really interested in seeing it anyways.

I found the anime slightly frustrating, as it was almost too perfect of a story for the entire Season 1, but then ... Well, there are many characters and ideas that just don't make sense, and they should have given time to grow, but instead they were used as background characters or completely gag characters (that for some reason ended up representing the world Olympic Games, just because they somehow made it into... Class 1-A). There is this kid who can speak to animals, and this girl that is completely invisible, and they made it into the school by defeating huge robots, but it was never actually shown), and the show just keeps ignoring the problems, season by season.

I am not disappointed though. It was just super good Season 1, and then went to become a regular anime with the regular problems, jokes, and fighting. Arena fighting has been done to death already, Pokemon Season 1, Season 5, One Punch Man Season 2, and do I even have to drag up the Dragon Ball Super kinda failed anime and manga?

My Hero Academedia is good. It is entertaining, and you feel for the characters. It is good in my book!

What My Hero Academedia does good is taking designs from many different animes, so sometimes even western world cartoons, and acknowledges those designs without questioning if they will fit a Japanese manga style character, and it feels new and refreshing to me.

20 hours ago, Kujamih said:

...but this is the only action anime that makes me cry

To theme music that is played, how many times per episode? :ButtercupLaugh:

I actually cry too, because of that theme music ;)

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Envy said:

One Piece actually covers rather dark themes, such as racism, slavery, classism, oppressive governments that turn a blind eye to suffering people, etc. It seems rather silly, and it is a very humorous series at times, but the themes that underpin it are very real and the stories can be very heartbreaking.

Can't say much for Fairy Tail. It really is a series that I liked less and less the more it went on, sadly.

To each their own. I'm glad you get something out of it and the characters. =)

That just doesn't happen for me. I felt for Midoriya early on because he was quirkless but strived to be a hero, something he physically couldn't be because of limitations outside of his control. And it was happy when he got granted a quirk and everything, but I've just had a hard time feeling for the series since. It's not to say it hasn't been worth a watch, but it isn't ever something I look forward to, and as I said, right now it's just really a drag and it quite often gets into these kinds of things and it's hard to get back into it.

Yeah... That's what happens when you make more than 70 episodes... I didn't even finished Naruto.... Just read the manga.

I will say this about My Hero Academia. Izuku is a good protagonist. And most of the characters are likeable. But I feel the show just has way too much silliness for it's own good.