Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Make Your Mark Chapter 4.

CastletonSnob

Wow now im sure they just made gen 5 for the nostalgia of gen4...

That thing shouldn't even exist uhhh....

13 hours ago, Solar Power said:

It's clearly meant to be the same object. Here it is in Princess Twilight Sparkle:

MLvxOUF.png

And here it is in Missing the Mark:

2yxDzqN.png

RpKHrtQ.png

It has the same star design on top and the same symbols above the keyholes.

Why? Why put that thing there!?.... Its okay 8f gen 5 is not a direct sequel to gen 4... But it is and destroys continuity and logic.

26 minutes ago, twilightlicious69 said:

i wish i could see chapter 4, but i dont have netflix :(

I can give to you direct links you can use without Netflix to watch it - but only via DM because I don't want to make MLPForums copyright issues with Netflix company. Is it ok with you 🥰

1 minute ago, EStarscout said:

I can give to you direct links you can use without Netflix to watch it - but only via DM because I don't want to make MLPForums copyright issues with Netflix company. Is it ok with you 🥰

yes please :)

thank you so much

Gen 4 is very nostalgia and bring back again <:) 

(edited)
35 minutes ago, Princess Moonlove said:

This topic is G5-only so please, find another topic if you want more G4 content to see and if you want to talk about G4. We're trying to grow as an small G5 community to an big G5 community like G4 community was big.

Edited by EStarscout
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Episode 6: A Little Horse

"They know"

Is the episode title an allusion not only to Pipp being sick, but also small? Anyway, I'm a little surprised that Misty is still helping Opaline after all that happened in previous episodes. Seems like she's not ready to fully switch her loyalty yet...

Also I'm disappointed we didn't get to hear that Electric Blue song.

Edited by Silly Druid

On 2023-06-10 at 3:01 AM, Solar Power said:

It's clearly meant to be the same object. Here it is in Princess Twilight Sparkle:

MLvxOUF.png

And here it is in Missing the Mark:

2yxDzqN.png

RpKHrtQ.png

It has the same star design on top and the same symbols above the keyholes.

An attempt was made, in any case.  Good find as I clearly wasn't paying attention to that.  Still, I can see imperfections that clearly point to it being a fake.  Strike two for the animators trying to help lend credence to G5 being in any way canon to G4.  It will go nicely with their Twilight hologram.  

7 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

Yayponies has all the G4 and G5 content.

Well yeah, that's true. But I don't thing that it's legal enough to write the pirate media host platform name here - that's why I'm sending links via DM, not in public via MLPForums.com 👍 - just for the safety of my account and the safety of MLPForums.com so that Netflix will not report MLPForums.com for sharing the info about pirated platform that steals their content and giving to all people for free.

Just be careful my friend to not be in any problems for that. Thank you for your understanding 🥰🫂

Episode 7: Missing the Mark

That's a fine conclusion to the chapter. Misty is now fully dedicated to helping the Mane 5. I wonder how long she will be able to hide her cutie mark from Opaline though...

---

Overall, I really like Chapter 4. I don't know if it's just my perception, but I think it's way better than Chapter 2. For example, I though there was something wrong with Opaline voice acting in C2, but in C4 it's flawless. And in general, it's made in a way that makes me want to watch it, to see what happens next. I'm looking forward to more G5 content!

(edited)

*Spoilers! (Duh)*

This chapter has definitely been a solid improvement over the previous ones. It's continuing the trend of better animation that we saw in chapter 2, and did a good job with storytelling and character development as well. As far as characters go, Izzy and especially Pipp absolutely CARRY this chapter, and I'm happy to see Misty and Opaline get some much deserved screen time. Everyone else meanwhile is still fun to watch but I would like to see Sunny get more time in the spotlight since she is the protagonist. 

Story wise, I'm glad to see the show introduce some more complex and grown-up plotlines, the best examples being the Sunny vs Opaline fight and Pipp/Zipp handling their mom dating Alphabittle. While learning that Opaline had grown up alongside Celestia and Luna was a cool addition to the lore, it does create a small plot hole given that Twilight was never made aware of her until after she became ruler of Equestria.

The songs for the most part are average except for "Show Me Your Pony Moves". That song was amazing and is easily one of the best G5 songs since the movie.

Some of usual criticisms still apply, like rushed pacing and some animation quality inconsistencies, as well as the show's strange release schedule and lack of proper seasons.

Overall, this chapter was cute and entertaining, and I hope we don't have to wait the better part of a year again for the next one to be released.

Edited by CorvetteZora

(edited)

And that's exactly how it should be done. :cheeky-smile:

Chapter 4 is epic, all the episodes have been fantastic to me. Still a weak FiM to me, but the G5 does a pretty good job on its own. 

The only episode I liked less was Pipp being sick, but in the end there was plenty of time for the rest of the characters in it.  I didn't think it would happen, but I liked Pipp. 

It is a pity that this generation is condemned to such little activity. I wish the chapters were longer. I'm pissed that TyT has so many great ideas for great episodes and they're wasted on 5 minute gags. I like TyT, TyT's drawing etc. but it's too short for me.  The animation has improved so much... chapter 4 has well written dialogues, it weren't as random as in chapter 1 for example. The characters here were very natural. Their ship works very well.

I'm worried about Sunny's direction. Initially, she seemed to be the most planned character. Currently... ugh... I hope they take care of her. Being compatible with everything, accepting everything, etc. takes away character and unfortunately I can see that in her now. 

The only thing I miss is such a greater development of the environment and side characters. I feel like everything is so... small. It doesn't make me think less about the show, besides I get it, the 2-3 hours we get a year is not too much time to waste on crap. :adorkable:

Edited by nataalya

On 2023-06-08 at 10:04 PM, FlareGun45 said:

I'll say.... did I just hear Opaline say something about the dragons waking up? And did I not just see a hidden Spike ploosh near Pipp in her sick episode? Hmmm..... forehadowing? 

This show definitely got my attention now!

If they have Spike show up only to be fodder to Opaline, I am going to be furious

• Brohoof 1

Seen first 3 eps of this so far. Give it overall - 7.5/10 using the FiM scale. It's the first time I've felt like commenting on anything pony since the movie, so was impressed. The voice acting and the characters and music really lifted things relative chapter 2.

Storytelling is much improved - there's some lore (there was in chap 2), but each episode has a story (like reconciling the daughters to the new partner) and you can follow along with the eps.

Still slightly niggling about the visuals, since it's 3D, but it's not the end of the world (much better than the pilot). Little doubtful about dragon character - slightly too cutesy.

• Brohoof 2

ok, saw the next two eps - 4 and 5. More solid ones - the characters are actually growing and feeling alive like they did in the movie! Another 7.5/10 - these eps didn't have quite as strong songs as the Bridlewood ep, but it made up for that with some great gags with Opaline and the smoothie show, as well as great feels with Misty. Opaline's character got quite a bit of development - I finally like her and sort of understand her now! So the chapter is really coming together for me. Really nice to be watching regular pony again :) brings me back to S9 of FiM. Good ole pony :3

Call-backs were great - you can tell that the people behind MYM are fans of FiM - some very cute little visuals.

Appreciated the dig at social media - the show can come off as endorsing that a bit much...

Still slightly niggling about the visuals - the smoothie juice looked strange.

• Brohoof 2

Just saw eps 6 and 7 - cuteness overload with Princess smol in ep 6 and then epic laser battles etc. Also high stakes with the villain - Opaline was prepared to destroy the baby dragon *checks* Sparky D: Only niggle I had is that there could have been more songs (although there was a moment when they sang a lullaby, which was sweet :3   Happy to say that the eps live up to the 7/10 sort of standard.

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-06-23 at 4:13 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

Did a review of this chapter in much greater detail after watching every episode again.

https://www.deviantart.com/cloudmistdragon/art/MLP-G5-Make-Your-Mark-Chapter-4-Review-968464575

Yeah, this is the fastest I've ever done a review this lengthy because this chapter was just that freaking great. :coolandhip:

This sadly now removed review has been archived here.

https://www.deviantart.com/mistybrightshadow/art/Make-Your-Mark-Chapter-4-Review-971157815

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It truly is a shame that the show might end this year, but nothing makes me feel like it’s going to go out with a whimper. If it’s already been able to impress us this much now, imagine what it could do at its end. Even if it is planned to end, do remember, plans can change. Like I said before, what is happening with MYM isn’t unusual for a kids CG show meant to promote toys. I’ve seen this before with another plot-centric children’s CG toy promotion show, Lego Ninjago.

Hahaa, I remember watching S3 finale in passing, with Zane sacrificing himself. Even though I hardly watched LNG at the time, I couldn’t help but be sad about the outcome. Series finale material right there. The show lasted 5 times more season-wise… and now we got a full-blown sequel :mlp_yeehaa:.

Whatever, let’s keep our fingers crossed G5 horses will keep going. If it’s really that successful, it’ll continue 

remember, G4 + G5 forever :fluttershy:

image.thumb.png.cd5854308aba9a2d315d9297a9f05ab8.png

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 2

• 5 months later...

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdGF0aWMud2lraWEubm9jb29raWUu

So, there we go. Misty finally got a redemption arc. And it was genuinely well executed and well written.

I’m aware it’s a bit too late to talk about chapter 4 when there are many episodes in Make your Mark, but I didn’t have extra time to catch on. I’ve seen some spoilers, but, since I have zero context, I can’t talk about them, so I’m going to talk about chapter 4.

The best way to describe this pack of episodes is that it started with the most irrelevant stories and it ended with a bang. Bridlewoodstock was an episode meant to celebrate the 40 years of the My Little Pony franchise, but, for an episode like that, it left much to be desired. It’s very uneventful, it had awkward pacing and it was too long, it’s as long as the season 6 finale of Friendship is Magic. This story could have been more interesting if the Troggles (those nature souls or whatever) weren’t that mentioned, because that had lead to an awkward pacing filled with repetitive warnings. If there was only one warning, that would have been ok.

I’d like to clarify this. I’m not saying that “the troggles were weak, therefore average episode”. I’m saying that the constant warnings about their existence affect the pacing of the episode in a negative way, because, even though the characters have potential to be entertaining and have personality, their only outcome is “they’re actually real” and “no, fake”. Even Zipp, a character who tends to be skeptical in Make your Mark and draws conclusions through factual evidence, ends up not believing in the creatures for a minute, derailing her interest in the troggles to see if they were real or not.

Bridlewoodstock is not bad, but it didn’t have to be a 45 minutes episode. You could have achieved the narrative goals with a 22 minutes length.

Top Remodel has a very interesting idea for a story. It’s slightly better than Bridlewoodstock, but it’s not as good as some of the other episodes of Make your Mark. The story is neat, but I wish it was funnier. Seeing Sprout here demanding things even though he was no power made me chuckle. The song is not very good though.

The third episode, The Jinxie Games, was, again, a little bit better than the previous episodes, but not much. Remember the third act of Sisterhooves Social from Friendship is Magic? This is exactly like that, but with random moments. I’m aware that the joke is that “this is random”, but I wish it was funnier. Also, the constant moments Sparky has kinda prove that this dragon doesn’t work as a baby, because there’s little room to personality when a character is a baby. That’s the reason why I said back in chapter 1 that Sparky should grow up.

One thing I’ll highlight though is the relationship between Queen Haven and Alphabittle and how Pipp and Zipp react to it. I think it’s refreshing to see a single mother, let alone a queen, dating someone who isn’t her husband in a kids show. We haven’t seen him in anything in the whole G5 timeline, so, as far as I know, this king just left. It kinda reminded me of how Steven Universe handled this topic with Onion’s mother (sorry, Steven Universe fans, I don’t remember all their names).

Once again, Sunny Side Up was better than the previous three episodes. It has a very nice message and it has decent pacing. Also, the episode presents some good continuity, something that I can’t say the same about Friendship is Magic.

The Manesquerade Ball, however, has a very weird concept. A masquerade ball party in a kids show seems to be very strange to me. Maybe it’s me, but I associated it with stories targeted at young adults and adults, not necessarily in a kids show. A little horse, in comparison, was more approachable to a kids show, but it was a boring story. It was funny to find Haven couldn’t cook, but the delivery for so much build-up was underwhelming. I think it would have been fine if it lasted 10 minutes instead of 20, because at least you could say “welp, at least I didn’t waste so much time watching this”.

What makes chapter 4 memorable to me though was the segments of Opaline and especially Misty in these episodes. These scenes show an interesting character dynamic that makes the blue pony messy and complicated. And it works because people are usually messy and comlpicated. She goes back and fourth when it comes to trying to kidnap Sparky. The way she’s conflicted on being a good friend and worshipping Opaline makes this character that interesting. Also, kudos to the writers for having Misty saying this line: “But do we have to steal their cutie marks? They’re actually kind of nice ponies”. I think the writers or a certain unicorn, as well as their fanboys, need to realize that.

The final episode Missing the mark, along with these Misty scenes, is the highlight of chapter 4, because everything that was building up since chapter 1 (and even A New Generation) comes together. After seeing so many scenes in many episodes from chapters 2 and 4, where Misty is questioning her own choices she made, it would be logical to assume that it’s gonna have a particular end related to her final choice. And the delivery was great. Helping Sunny and her friends to defeat Opaline was a great step forwards of the character. And the conclusion makes me wanna see the rest of Make your Mark.

Overall, chapter 4 was very decent, but it has a rough start. Out of the 7 episodes it has, 3 of them were very irrelevant, and one of them lasted 40 minutes. The characters have more personality than I expected, but if there’s one thing I had in mind for the whole chapter 4 was that I wish it could have been funnier. There are lots of moments where I thought “I should laugh at this, why I’m not?”, either for the animation or the scene. I chuckled with the Sprout moments because he was making ridiculous demands even though he has no power, but apart from that, it wasn’t as funny as I expected. Despite all that, I enjoyed chapter 4, it’s much better than chapter 2, which felt so random back in 2022. This chapter is leading to a direction I’m interested in, it’s faithful to the spirit of Friendship is Magic, the characters are nice, they don’t do mean stuff out of spite like most episodes of the last 4 seasons of Friendship is Magic, Misty is a great character and there’s a lot of continuity. So I hope things go well for the writers and the show.

Now, speaking about Misty, there’s something I do have to say, and this is very telling of why the G5 is getting criticized all the time since A New Generation: In 2018, Road to Friendship was aired and it was a “road film” with Starlight and Trixie in her wagon in a 22 minutes episode. Back in No second prances, Trixie told her that it was her home, and the reason why she told her this was because she trusted her, even though they just met. What did Starlight do in that episode? She sold her wagon out of spite without her consent, Trixie cried and she got mad at her for crying, because “she cared more about her wagon than herself”. And there’s no backlash. People loved that episode regardless of what Starlight did. Same thing with the rest of her episodes. Everyone justified her actions because either “making mistakes is the point of the character” (even though she’s supposed to learn from this, not keep making the same mistakes) or “she’s learning, give her a break”, not only in Road to Friendship, but also in several episodes.

In Make your Mark, there’s a legitimate redemption arc that took its time to develop one character for several episodes, there’s continuity and the characters are genuinely wholesome, but for some reason this is the one where people are annoyed about. And with a huge chunk of those episodes from Friendship is Magic, you don’t see a lot of that. And I think it’s just interesting, it shows the way people changed their minds towards My Little Pony after A New Generation back in 2021. Not everyone, obviously there are people like me who enjoyed that movie. And even if I didn’t like that film, I can’t imagine being so aggressive towards a whole generation for several years just because “Twilight’s journey has been for nothing” like I’ve been reading over and over again, even in completely unrelated topics, as if this implies that Friendship is Magic was absolutely perfect for 9 years in a row. It kinda reminds me of those Nintendo fanboys who wanted Nintendo to remaster a very niche game known by four people all over the world and then the next second they get mad at the F-Zero fans for asking for an F-Zero GX remaster because “that’s a niche game, people don’t know that game”.

You’re free to disagree, but I genuinely think most of the discourse around the G5 is pretty dumb. You take a look at Road to friendship, Uncommon Bonds, Every little thing she does, A horse shoe-in… They didn’t get all of this. Why is G5 getting all this nonsense? I think it’s because of the G4 purists. I think these people are still salty about Twilight Sparkle after A New Generation and they wanted a reason to get mad at the writers, because they want them to write consistent episodes even though Friendship is Magic is not known for having consistent episodes. Because believe me: If “Twilight’s journey becoming meaningless” was an episode of Friendship is Magic, not only everyone would enjoy it, they would also celebrate it regardless of the quality of the writing.
I don’t want to dismiss everyone’s criticism because I have problems with G5. If you don’t like it because of the music, the story, the characters or the pacing, then that’s 100% fine. But if you go and scream “Twilight’s journey has become meaningless” every single time Sunny is about to speak, then I don’t know what to tell you.

But yeah, I like chapter 4 despite its problems. I kinda wish I didn’t see some spoilers from chapters 5 and 6, but at least I don’t know the context. It’s not like an entire image has automatically all the context in the world. It’s like seeing the Guernica painted by Pablo Picasso and lacking the context of that painting. Hopefully I’ll catch up.