Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A question about recording on Roku?

Reiki Knight 13

I have a question for anyone on here that uses Roku to stream shows.

Is there any way you have found to be able to record shows or movies generally?

That is not just from a specific channel : YouTube tv, Hulu live+ etc but general record ability. 

Thanks in advance I can't seem to find anything.

I'm not too well versed in capturing video and audio, but my first thought goes to the video game community when they would record their gameplay from their video game consoles.

Generally you can use OBS and/or some external capture card to perform this. Not sure on the specific setups and settings though.

I did a general search with "OBS Roku" and found some stuff on the OBS forums. You should be able to do a more specific search over there with "Roku".

If it has a composite output, I would just connect it to a VCR. If it doesn't, I could still use a VCR, but I would need a HDMI to composite converter.

However, if you want to record in HD, there are HDMI capture cards, I do not know how fast CPU they need to handle the encoding, but this would result in the highest quality. Be careful about HDCP though, you may need a device that strips it.

I do not have that particular device and I usually use a VHS VCR to record stuff that I cannot just download or rip the stream directly. I recently got a HDV VCR for recording in HD, but so far have not used it other than for some tests.