Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Theme song for Disney cartoon "Primos".

CastletonSnob

Disney recently uploaded the theme song for their upcoming Disney Channel cartoon "Primos".

https://deadline.com/2021/11/disney-animated-comedy-series-primos-natasha-kline-1234866563/

EXCLUSIVE: Disney Branded Television has ordered Primos, an original animated comedy series created and executive produced by Natasha Kline (director of Big City Greens, South Park). The story is based on Kline’s childhood experiences with her extended multicultural Mexican American family. No network has been announced as of yet.

Each half-hour episode of Primos, produced by Disney Television Animation, will be comprised of two 11-minute stories featuring Tater, an eccentric 10-year-old girl with big dreams and, unbeknownst to her, a certain “it factor” that makes her exceptional. When her 12 cousins (“primos” in Spanish) move in for the summer, they help her discover just what it is. Tater’s aspirations and larger-than-life imagination are seen via entries in her super-secret diary, which turn her deepest thoughts into grandiose animation sequences.

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure about this one. That artstyle is not pleasant to look at, and it feels like a ripoff of The Loud House/The Casagrandes.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
46 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

it feels like a ripoff of The Loud House/The Casagrandes.

This was my first thought and I’m not a fan of The Loud House and I haven’t seen The Casagrandes.

Edited by Sparklefan1234

3 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

https://deadline.com/2021/11/disney-animated-comedy-series-primos-natasha-kline-1234866563/

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure about this one. That artstyle is not pleasant to look at, and it feels like a ripoff of The Loud House/The Casagrandes.

Apparently, it’s getting heavily criticized by latinos because of excessive negative stereotypes :muffins:

(edited)

RebelTaxi made a video that does a good job explaining some of people's complaints with them, and some of the ones brought up I do agree with pertaining to the artstyle and colors. Some of the characters don't look good with some traits that bug me on a personal level. There's also the annoying piss filter that's used almost every single time a movie or TV show needs to have it's setting in Mexico(and yeah I know it's actually supposed to be in America and more notably LA but given it's about a Mexican family same principles applies). Mexico is a very beautiful country with lots of great natural and manmade landscapes and it's always annoying how that filter just makes it look unappealing

And really it just doesn't look that appealing, especially compared to some of the other big Mexican-themed cartoons like El Tigre and Mucha Lucha. Like it just looks like a Mexican Loud House, which, uh, already exists with the spin-off The Casagrandes. Whoops

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 2023-06-18 at 8:41 PM, Megas said:

RebelTaxi made a video that does a good job explaining some of people's complaints with them, and some of the ones brought up I do agree with pertaining to the artstyle and colors. Some of the characters don't look good with some traits that bug me on a personal level. There's also the annoying piss filter that's used almost every single time a movie or TV show needs to have it's setting in Mexico(and yeah I know it's actually supposed to be in America and more notably LA but given it's about a Mexican family same principles applies). Mexico is a very beautiful country with lots of great natural and manmade landscapes and it's always annoying how that filter just makes it look unappealing

And really it just doesn't look that appealing, especially compared to some of the other big Mexican-themed cartoons like El Tigre and Mucha Lucha. Like it just looks like a Mexican Loud House, which, uh, already exists with the spin-off The Casagrandes. Whoops

The main gripe I saw was that they improperly used the singular word "Oye" instead of the plural "Oigan". The creators could have just said "Oops, our bad" or simply explained that this was about Mexican Americans removed from life in Mexico, but one of the voice actors made a VERY unprofessional response video that went off the rails. And because that video was so defensive, it made a forgivable error into a huge piece of drama where everyone was critiquing everything about the cartoon.

Last I heard, the people behind this show might be going back to fix or rework some things before they air it. Personally, I am indifferent about it. I almost hope the cartoon ends up doing well; because I'd hate for all this drama and backlash to be its legacy.

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 1