Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The 2024 Solar Eclipse

DubWolf

Post your experiences here :kirin:!

It’s already partially blocked here. Skies clearing up in this part of the state, hoping it gets better and no buzz kill clouds appear D:

25A98D04-8145-4018-BE67-09BF84CB33AD.jpeg

• Brohoof 5
  • Sad 1

(edited)

Boy was it epic. The timing with the clouds at my location was such that we were able to see it pretty well and right up to the complete coverage. Camera couldn’t quite capture just  how dark it got for an eclipse (not quite night time dark, more 30 minutes after sunset dark, I suppose).

E41A5F96-B6D2-4F3F-A0E2-E064791519B9.png

Edited by DubWolf
  • Brohoof 4
  • smile 1
  • Excited 1
  • Hugs 1

(edited)

Totality was insane. I don’t think any photos or videos will be able to do it justice. Absolutely beautiful. Easy to see why our ancestors thought eclipses were signs of the end times.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
  • Brohoof 5
  • Hugs 1

It clouded up in WNY so we couldn't see much of the eclipse, itself. It did, of course, darken dramatically (accompanied by local fireworks and a drone hovering nearby). Ah, Buffalo. 

• Sad 1
  • Party! 1
  • Hugs 2

It barely got a bit of a dark filter, not to mention I was busy with highly important errands. But my brother did go to Houston and took a few pics

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Washington had lots of cloud cover, couldn't see anything through our glasses, but at 12:14pm pacific it started to break through and I could just make out a bite in the cookie.

20240408_120904.thumb.jpg.b7fe8a78554f9b1653e044aaebe1af2f.jpg

You can see it better when I messed with my phone's editing tools

Screenshot_20240408_171728_Messages.jpg.e7912d62f8702f38738c0f1099b761c3.jpg

And my live stargazing app for comparison

Screenshot_20240408_120945.thumb.jpg.9e557ea182794d6af8aa5a619525ce54.jpg

With the rain it wasn't discernably darker or colder like in 2017, and the birds didn't go quiet like then, but I still really enjoyed the glimpse I got.

Edit: The 2017 eclipse had closer to 90% coverage where I'm at, versus the 10-20% this time around. I don't know for 2023 because I traveled for that one even though it was the annular.

Edited by SharpWit
  • Brohoof 2

A family member in north/central Arkansas got a good view from the path of totality and took some pics but they look like a bright sunny day. A full eclipse usually looks like daylight right up to the moment of totality and then it looks like pre-dawn or dusk until the moon passes. The horizons show light like a sunrise or sunset but the sky overhead is dark. When we had a partial eclipse a few years back I tried to get pics but again, on a camera without special filters, it looked like a regular sunny day, only with a slight tint to it like I was wearing sunglasses. It is pretty cool though and I would have loved to have seen it in person from a good vantage point.

• Excited 1