Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reduce, Reuse, Unicycling!

Izzy Moonbow

T-R-A-S-H! Doesn't mean it's waste~!

T-R-A-S-H! With a dash of taste~! ^_^

**As she sings, Izzy turns to the users and readers, before giggling**

Heya, everypony! I hope everyone is having a great May, so far! :D

Don't you just love it when you get to use old trash or recycled objects and turn it into something new?

It's why I love my job at "Izzy Does It!" :squee:

It's always so much fun finding that one trinket or doodad and turning it into something entirely different!

Reusing bottles and utensils to make an instrument! :)

Oh! Oh! Oh! Or even friendship bracelets!

Oh! Or even using recycled objects that you wouldn't think that would work to turn it, say, into a painting! :eager:

**GASP**

I've just got the best idea and I'm LOVING IT~! :izzy-shine:

Since I like to help creating new things through Unicycling, why don't I share that with everypony here on the forums!

For the rest of the month, I want to challenge everypony to try and create something from their recycled objects instead of throwing them away! :coco:

It can be as simple as a friendship bracelet that has many different things on it to help someone sparkle!

It can even be a fun project that you've been working on this month or recently and is close to masterpiece fruition! :PIPPIPHURRAY:

If you do take part, please post it in here for everyone to see your creative genius!

Those that participate shall be awarded a badge for their hard work! :fluttershy:

I look forward to seeing what creative ideas you make, everypony!

Here's to Uni-cycling! :winking-izzy:

• Brohoof 7
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • Excited 4
  • Hugs 3

(edited)

Well, I bought this umbrella from Ollie's, and it broke literally as soon as I opened it:

I decided to reuse the materials in that umbrella rather than throw the whole thing away.  The plan was to snip the fabric off the spokes, and then snip the spokes off the shaft, then use the hinges in those spokes as part of an animatronic.  I haven't yet used the spokes in the animatronic, but I have snipped the busted umbrella to pieces.

Based on my snipping experience, I have to say this about BetterBrella:  while they definitely did something wrong by making an umbrella that would neither stay closed nor open all the way, they did something right with the spokes' materials, since it was very difficult for me to cut them with tin snips:  I had to use bolt cutters to snip the spokes off the shaft.  Heck, there were some thin wires inside the spokes that made all the hinges in the spokes open when the umbrella opened, and I had a tough time cutting those wires with tin snips---the whole experience made me very glad I have bolt cutters in the house!

EDIT:  Just for clarity:  the red-and-white umbrella, I plan to repair.  The light blue umbrella, I'm taking apart for parts.  (Someday I might even figure out what to do with the fabric!)

Edited by HereComesTom
  • Brohoof 7
  • Hugs 1

I have to credit to you @Izzy Moonbow this is a very creative post and very original as well.

I do reuse quite a few things here and there.

I have given my old worn out shoes to my cat as both a scratching post and a neat little toy he and I can play together with.

I thoroughly clean out  plastic drink containers and reuse those to make new drinks.

Ultimately, I try to reduce waste consumption as much as possible and reduce what I can until it's just not possible any more.

I'd show pics but sadly I reuse things as is and don't really change anything big so there's not much to show. 

Still I hope this can inspire some creative ideas for others. Everything is useful as you make of it is all I'm saying.

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

Hmm… would repairs to trashed electronics count? Couple months ago I started buying up old, broken consumer electronics and fixing them to resell. Some just need cleaned, others need specific board components repaired. It’s all usually repairable except in rare cases where anti-repair practices keep me from swapping or buying parts. And even in those cases I can scrap some parts still, very little ends up being trashed or useless. And all the stuff I buy is classified as E-waste so I guess I’m technically preventing fully fixable devices from just being tossed in the trash :squee:. I usually fix close to a dozen devices every week.

The whole experience has been eye opening to just how poorly some people treat their several hundred dollar devices. And how quick they are to throw said devices in a recycling can as soon as it does something off.

I also fixed my old pair of MDR V900 Sony headphones just last week as well since the headphone jack stopped working on them. Just needed to buy and solder in a new cable and they still work good as they did 20+ years ago when they were made! I’ll edit this post and attach photos later.

Edit: okay I didn’t really have any interesting photos sadly. This is the best I got, before and after from a water damaged laptop motherboard. Only bad component there was the step down converter marked ALVM965.

Spoiler

IMG_3075.thumb.jpeg.dd26d46ca4d3fbd67ecdf30952ee96ff.jpegIMG_3078.thumb.jpeg.3420bd5ddc38ebdddf9907edabde31b6.jpeg

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
  • Brohoof 5
  • Shocked 1

Where I work, we have to reuse stuff. I scavenge electrical components: disconnects, lugs, transformers, conduit. We tore out an old press and I saved some control buttons and a nice transformer.

• Brohoof 4
  • Excited 1

I work in Swedens oldest Nuclear power station still in use. It's over 40 years old. Design life was 30- years. So this is recycling big time, still producing power to the grid. And I'm proud to be contributing to the years of providing power to the people with this ancient piece of technology. Still very safe running. I think we can't build a new site with today's technology with the same safety. The old analog relay technology is far more secure than anything new modern things we can come up with today.

• Brohoof 7
  • Excited 2
  • Party! 1

3 hours ago, Princess Celestia said:

I work in Swedens oldest Nuclear power station still in use. It's over 40 years old. Design life was 30- years. So this is recycling big time, still producing power to the grid. And I'm proud to be contributing to the years of providing power to the people with this ancient piece of technology. Still very safe running. I think we can't build a new site with today's technology with the same safety. The old analog relay technology is far more secure than anything new modern things we can come up with today.

I don't want to contradict you but if the technologies used in new nuclear power stations have evolved, it's because we found safer way to ensure the safety within and outside of the building... I mean this is what progress is for! I'm a little worried however if you are still using old computer programs since those would be very easy to hack with the right material and this is not the sort of thing you want to deal with when it's controlling the cool down of the nuclear station. However, I'm sure that everything has been planned! Right? :twi:

Right...? :adorkable:

• Brohoof 3
  • Excited 1

I took some old soda cans I had (that I did not empty, because I do not drink soda) and, after squishing them down, I made some coasters!

• Brohoof 5
  • Excited 1

8 hours ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

I don't want to contradict you but if the technologies used in new nuclear power stations have evolved, it's because we found safer way to ensure the safety within and outside of the building... I mean this is what progress is for! I'm a little worried however if you are still using old computer programs since those would be very easy to hack with the right material and this is not the sort of thing you want to deal with when it's controlling the cool down of the nuclear station. However, I'm sure that everything has been planned! Right? :twi:

Right...? :adorkable:

You are absolutely right, newer facilities have much better and more well thought out buildings. But not much has happened with the development, it is very similar to the basic construction, new or old. It is mostly the control systems that have changed in newer plants. But even this old one has received new buildings later for pressure relief and passive cooling. Here you are dependent on diesel reserve power. But there are 4 of them and the security systems are all 4 subed. Computers are not used for safety systems in any way. They are only for operating less important parts of the turbine plant, or for reading and monitoring of the reactor. But security systems is completely without software. Everything is completely built with analog old-school electronics and relays. The computers used for monitoring and such are completely isolated from the outside world. So it is very difficult to hack. Then you must have physical access to the computer hall. It is also redundant in two parts, so both sides must make the same "mistake" for it to take effect. It is next to impossible to do even for someone with insider information.

• Brohoof 3
  • smile 1

10 minutes ago, Princess Celestia said:

You are absolutely right, newer facilities have much better and more well thought out buildings. But not much has happened with the development, it is very similar to the basic construction, new or old. It is mostly the control systems that have changed in newer plants. But even this old one has received new buildings later for pressure relief and passive cooling. Here you are dependent on diesel reserve power. But there are 4 of them and the security systems are all 4 subed. Computers are not used for safety systems in any way. They are only for operating less important parts of the turbine plant, or for reading and monitoring of the reactor. But security systems is completely without software. Everything is completely built with analog old-school electronics and relays. The computers used for monitoring and such are completely isolated from the outside world. So it is very difficult to hack. Then you must have physical access to the computer hall. It is also redundant in two parts, so both sides must make the same "mistake" for it to take effect. It is next to impossible to do even for someone with insider information.

Wait is blue text when you're OOC? 

Also, another thing I did, was I took a bunch of old scrap paper that no one was using, and made some sicko origami star wars characters with it, I'll post pictures in another thread.

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, Lawyer Slip said:

Wait is blue text when you're OOC? 

Also, another thing I did, was I took a bunch of old scrap paper that no one was using, and made some sicko origami star wars characters with it, I'll post pictures in another thread.

Blue is me yes. I don't think Celestia cares about electricity. She doesn't need such silly human stuff 😜 

Scrap paper can be used for so many projects, yes please post pictures, would love to see it.

• Brohoof 3

I'm very passionate about thrifting/flea markets since 10 years !
It's reaaaally rare for me to buy new clothes ( only if I'm crushing on something specific), otherwise, my clothes comes from thrifts store and I still have my clothes from my teen years, in good shapes. If a shirt or whatever is dirty or don't match my aesthetic anymore, I give it to association and use the dirty one to train myself with sewing machine (I want to do my own clothes). Same for furniture, unless it's in a very bad shape, we give it or sell it to a lower prices. 

I also thrift toys, and sometimes "trash dive" when people abandon their stuff on the road !

• Brohoof 6
  • Excited 1

On 2024-05-11 at 11:48 AM, HereComesTom said:

Well, I bought this umbrella from Ollie's, and it broke literally as soon as I opened it:

I decided to reuse the materials in that umbrella rather than throw the whole thing away.  The plan was to snip the fabric off the spokes, and then snip the spokes off the shaft, then use the hinges in those spokes as part of an animatronic.  I haven't yet used the spokes in the animatronic, but I have snipped the busted umbrella to pieces.

Based on my snipping experience, I have to say this about BetterBrella:  while they definitely did something wrong by making an umbrella that would neither stay closed nor open all the way, they did something right with the spokes' materials, since it was very difficult for me to cut them with tin snips:  I had to use bolt cutters to snip the spokes off the shaft.  Heck, there were some thin wires inside the spokes that made all the hinges in the spokes open when the umbrella opened, and I had a tough time cutting those wires with tin snips---the whole experience made me very glad I have bolt cutters in the house!

EDIT:  Just for clarity:  the red-and-white umbrella, I plan to repair.  The light blue umbrella, I'm taking apart for parts.  (Someday I might even figure out what to do with the fabric!)

This is an incredible idea for Unicycling! :izzy-shine:

I've had my fair share of finding different items from trash, or other objects. In order to complete projects or to make something new! 

It sounds like the umbrella pieces will lead towards a fun Unicycling project! ^_^ 

On 2024-05-11 at 12:11 PM, Reiki Knight 13 said:

I have to credit to you @Izzy Moonbow this is a very creative post and very original as well.

I do reuse quite a few things here and there.

I have given my old worn out shoes to my cat as both a scratching post and a neat little toy he and I can play together with.

I thoroughly clean out  plastic drink containers and reuse those to make new drinks.

Ultimately, I try to reduce waste consumption as much as possible and reduce what I can until it's just not possible any more.

I'd show pics but sadly I reuse things as is and don't really change anything big so there's not much to show. 

Still I hope this can inspire some creative ideas for others. Everything is useful as you make of it is all I'm saying.

Awww! It sounds like your cat has a lot of fun to play with! :kindness:

It's always great and fun to recycle things, or to turn them into something new! :) 

On 2024-05-11 at 4:53 PM, Iforgotmybrain said:

Hmm… would repairs to trashed electronics count? Couple months ago I started buying up old, broken consumer electronics and fixing them to resell. Some just need cleaned, others need specific board components repaired. It’s all usually repairable except in rare cases where anti-repair practices keep me from swapping or buying parts. And even in those cases I can scrap some parts still, very little ends up being trashed or useless. And all the stuff I buy is classified as E-waste so I guess I’m technically preventing fully fixable devices from just being tossed in the trash :squee:. I usually fix close to a dozen devices every week.

The whole experience has been eye opening to just how poorly some people treat their several hundred dollar devices. And how quick they are to throw said devices in a recycling can as soon as it does something off.

I also fixed my old pair of MDR V900 Sony headphones just last week as well since the headphone jack stopped working on them. Just needed to buy and solder in a new cable and they still work good as they did 20+ years ago when they were made! I’ll edit this post and attach photos later.

Edit: okay I didn’t really have any interesting photos sadly. This is the best I got, before and after from a water damaged laptop motherboard. Only bad component there was the step down converter marked ALVM965.

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_3075.thumb.jpeg.dd26d46ca4d3fbd67ecdf30952ee96ff.jpegIMG_3078.thumb.jpeg.3420bd5ddc38ebdddf9907edabde31b6.jpeg

I think that definitely counts! :fluttershy:

Taking old or broken items and either fixing them, or using pieces to create something new is always a part of Unicyling! :D 

From what it sounds like, you've done a lot of unicycling with these dozens of devices! :PIPPIPHURRAY:

It even looks like the headphones have been well preserved and taken care of! You can never go wrong with fixing up something that still works like a charm! :) 

On 2024-05-11 at 6:59 PM, Brony Number 42 said:

Where I work, we have to reuse stuff. I scavenge electrical components: disconnects, lugs, transformers, conduit. We tore out an old press and I saved some control buttons and a nice transformer.

It looks like this work has the right idea when it comes to involving unicycling! ^_^ 

I hope you'll be able to use these different pieces to add to, or create many fun projects! :fluttershy:

Hearing the mention of 'transformer' reminds me of that one movie I saw with Señor Butterscotch during T.U.E.S. Day! :squee:

On 2024-05-11 at 7:19 PM, Princess Celestia said:

Hearing about this reminds me of my shop, "Izzy Does It!" :izzy-oooh:

Being able to recycle by adding power to a grid. All the while a power station with the 30- years design life is taking Unicycling to a whole new level! :pinkie:

It always feels good to help contribute to something by Unicycling, reusing, or making something new. :coco:

On 2024-05-11 at 11:52 PM, Lawyer Slip said:

I took some old soda cans I had (that I did not empty, because I do not drink soda) and, after squishing them down, I made some coasters!

On 2024-05-12 at 7:16 AM, Lawyer Slip said:

Taking beverages by crushing them down to make something new is always so much fun and creative! :izzy-shine:

Even taking old or even used paper and reusing it is always such a great idea! :grin:

Oh! Let's not forget about adding some glitter to the origami characters! :pinkie:

8 hours ago, VixyVixen95 said:

I'm very passionate about thrifting/flea markets since 10 years !
It's reaaaally rare for me to buy new clothes ( only if I'm crushing on something specific), otherwise, my clothes comes from thrifts store and I still have my clothes from my teen years, in good shapes. If a shirt or whatever is dirty or don't match my aesthetic anymore, I give it to association and use the dirty one to train myself with sewing machine (I want to do my own clothes). Same for furniture, unless it's in a very bad shape, we give it or sell it to a lower prices. 

I also thrift toys, and sometimes "trash dive" when people abandon their stuff on the road !

Ooooh~! :izzy-oooh:

I think that's a great idea to try and sew shirts or clothes that might be ruined or doesn't match.

Being able to take something and add something new to repair something else is always so much fun! ^_^ 

Especially when it comes to Unicycling! :squee:

It even sounds like the thrifting/flea markets do a great job with Unicycling, as well. :) 

I remember doing dumpster diving to find a ring piece to complete a surprise I was making for Sunny! 

It was so much fun finding so many different things you find lying in trash! Especially if you can turn it into something amazing and fun! :fluttershy:

4 hours ago, ComanderZhabikKlavik said:

I sometimes make origami out of unnecessary paper, here are some (2 fighter jet and a frog).

IMG_20240513_202746.thumb.jpg.9b102cea23fa85604a1eeeeab3cbf3a6.jpg

I also fixed my broken dark glasses with electrical tape.

IMG_20240513_202902.thumb.jpg.18cf2c5b9faf7fac9ff0f014e28497d9.jpg

I reuse plastic bottles.

Being able to turn used paper into something fun like an airplane is always such a creative and fun idea! ^_^ 

The same can be said for the dark glasses. Even if something is broken, there's always a way to repair or make something new with electrical tape!  :) 

• Brohoof 2
  • smile 1
  • Hugs 1

On 2024-05-12 at 8:56 AM, Princess Celestia said:

Blue is me yes. I don't think Celestia cares about electricity. She doesn't need such silly human stuff 😜 

Scrap paper can be used for so many projects, yes please post pictures, would love to see it.

Because of what you just said, I imaginated Celestia working in a nuckear power plant with the red lights of the alarm going crazy as she is basically working as good as Homer Simpson at his own nuclear power plant... Wait! Maybe they could be working in the same one! :o

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I often see my mom use the water bottles I bring home for other purposes. One is for helping my grandmother with her medication. The other is for making a juice. I've dealt with a few broken umbrellas that stay in the house for a while, and it's pretty useful until it gets really broken. 

Edited by TransitPony
  • Brohoof 4
  • Hugs 1

For some reason, in one of my high school classes, I had to make a project that would make some profit so, with the money, we would make a nice party at the end of the year. All the class was together in this and we came up with the idea of selling items that we would create by recycling scraps and old stuffs. We ended up with bowls molded with vinyl records, earrings made with beer caps and some other third thing that I can't remember about. I don't know how but we managed to get enough money to buy a delicious canadian meal for all the students of the class! :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 2
  • smile 1
  • Excited 1

8 hours ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

Wait! Are you learning to speak in Egyptian?

I tried to learn it, and it was so difficult to pronounce that language that I decided to learn it in the future.:worry:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
18 hours ago, Felis Amafeles said:

I tried to learn it, and it was so difficult to pronounce that language that I decided to learn it in the future.:worry:

In the year 2109, after downloading their consciousness into the hard drive of a more performing cybernetic body in order to reach the theoretical immortality provided by interchangeable metal and plastic components, @Felis Amafeles decided that it was time for them to face their fear of failure at learning an ancient language. In a dystopian futur where men robotized themselves to achieve the singularity with the AIs they once created MLP fanarts with, a citizen of China was destined to save humanity from itself. In their quest to understand the forgotten words of a lost civilization, they traveled to Egypt and made the fortunate encounter of an old man, direct descendant of the pharaoh Imhotep, who teached them about the ancient words of his ancestors. However, after being shot in the heart by an hitman sent to kill him, he revealed to Felis the secret that cost him his life, in his last moments. With the terrible weight of this secret on their shoulders, Felis decided to avenge the death of their egyptian teacher by taking down the new world order lurking in the shadows and working to cause the rise of a war against an innocent alien specie with the hidden intention of stealing a technological device protected by them. This device was capable of terraforming planets but, in the wrong hands, it could destroyed complete solar systems. If they obtained it, there would be nothing capable of stopping the secret government from enslaving humanity and dominating the Universe. Only one hero was going to stand in their way and, with the help of their new hybrid friend and the legendary Robosaurus, Felis would ruin the plan of the bad guys by uniting the species across the Universe with the power of friendship.

Spoiler

None of the that was planned, I just spontaneously wrote all this! With the purpose of imagining what would happen if Felis learned to speak Egyptian in the futur. :catface:

Edited by Shiny Silvermoon
  • Brohoof 3
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • Shocked 1

On 2024-05-14 at 12:22 PM, TransitPony said:

I often see my mom use the water bottles I bring home for other purposes. One is for helping my grandmother with her medication. The other is for making a juice. I've dealt with a few broken umbrellas that stay in the house for a while, and it's pretty useful until it gets really broken. 

It sounds like you and your mom have a lot of ideas when it comes to Unicycling! ^_^ 

It's always amazing and fun to find unique ideas from recycled objects. Whether it's to create something for somepony, or for reusing objects that may seem broken, but can always be made into something new! :coco:

On 2024-05-16 at 9:27 PM, Shiny Silvermoon said:

For some reason, in one of my high school classes, I had to make a project that would make some profit so, with the money, we would make a nice party at the end of the year. All the class was together in this and we came up with the idea of selling items that we would create by recycling scraps and old stuffs. We ended up with bowls molded with vinyl records, earrings made with beer caps and some other third thing that I can't remember about. I don't know how but we managed to get enough money to buy a delicious canadian meal for all the students of the class! :mlp_icwudt:

Ooooh~! :izzy-oooh:

This sounds like an amazing and fun project! :pinkie:

From vinyl records into bowls, to created earrings, it sounds like this project was a great idea to use the power of Unicycling! :squee:

On 2024-05-17 at 4:52 AM, Felis Amafeles said:

I unicycled the writing paper into bookmarks

DSC09833.thumb.webp.f46383efbe0cdac15249bd4904912ab7.webp

DSC09840.thumb.webp.40cdbe6a4d503fc67fee6894a2590e8e.webp

Oh, my Glitter! :pinkie:

This looks amazing! I really love the idea of taking used or old paper and turning into something new like a bookmark! :eager:

• Brohoof 4
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • smile 1

On 2024-05-11 at 4:53 PM, Iforgotmybrain said:

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to fix the Apply //c that I had when I was a kid; it's failing to display one column of pixels properly per letter on-screen---more specifically, the right-most column of pixels.  You can't tell a lowercase d from a lowercase o with that problem :/

PXL_20240523_0117017422.thumb.jpg.35cad5652e6198fe7c97662dde012e1c.jpg

The Star Wars origami people I mentioned.

Only a few random ones lol.

From left to right, top to to bottom, they are: Boba Fett, Max Rebo, IG-88, Grand Moff Tarken, a Gamorrean guard, a Porg, Captain Rec, R2-D2, Kit Fisto, Yoda, and The Mandolorian, made from Tin foil.

• Excited 2