Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 is a Lost Cause

Rafa Stary

The more time passes, and the more TyT episodes are released, the more I'm losing my faith in G5, I don't want to say that they aren't trying, or that they just gave up, but it seems that Hasbro keeps trying to convince me that they did. At this point I'm just watching TyT to keep myself updated to it, for me this Generation isn't going anywhere.

I believe this is going to be the longest post I've ever written here, so I made this small introduction so everyone will understand it in short, now I'll talk about it in detail, and I'll try not to be too repetitive here, this won't be a post like this one made 2 months ago, since that post was more for the purpose of raising hypotheses about the possible end of G5, and asking what others thought. This post is more objective, to show my dissatisfaction with the current situation of G5 and as I don't see it improving, I planned to do this post only after a while, after more TyT episodes have been released including the second special, after all we are still technically at the beginning of the second season, but I will do it anyway, want to get this off my chest already, as I can may be surprised in the future.

When the second season started I was very excited and even hoped that things could go well, but now, just 4 months later, with only 12 episodes released + 1 Special, I already feel bad enough for this generation. I'm going to start by talking about how TyT itself alone is demonstrating that it doesn't know how to direct this generation, or rather, that it isn't able to, these are all my personal thoughts, I don't intend to do one of these again until I find it really necessary, it will be my ultimate "thoughts on G5" post, it will bring together various information and opinions said by me in posts about this generation since 2023.

The problem with Tell Your Tale, this was said multiple times by me, so I'll make it short. TyT was meant to be the minor and extra production of G5, it wasn't its purpose to carry the heavy work that MyM had of telling story arcs and making worldbuilding, it was just a silly show for kids, as they like faster stories, that's why the 5 minutes format. With MyM no more around, TyT takes the baggage of MyM, and now it needs to make the story of G5 progress somehow, something it can't do, some of the stories it tries to tell are quite interesting, but the short format just ends up ruining them, and some episodes are just bad, and talking about stories…

The story ended in Make Your Mark, say what you want about MyM, I know very well how divisive it was, but you definitely can't deny, that MyM had a purpose, there was a goal, there was a story being told, not only that, but a whole arc, character arcs, Opaline's, she had a goal as a villain, Misty's character development, even a minor character like Posey, all stories culminated in the ending of Chapter 6, Not only that, but you also had some sort of worldbuilding, it felt limited and sluggish? Yep, but they at least tried to do some, the different locals are revisited in multiple episodes and you suddenly had the “Breeze City” being discovered in Bridlewood, then later the Isle of Scaly, etc, you also had the introduction of new characters every chapter, with their own problems to be solved, you may think the connections with G4 were terrible, I honestly a time ago said that I didn't cared about them, but now looking back at it, I actually really miss them, because if they were necessary for G5 to be interesting and actually tell a story, then I'm glad that they at least lasted the entire run of MyM, it was interesting to hear what happened in the past, and now I really appreciate it. When I say that I really liked MyM and that for me there was hype for it, It's because it was the closest G5 came to feeling like G4, you might think it was poorly done, but at least it tried, something TyT clearly doesn't even try, and now talking about TyT and story.

There's no Tale to Tell (haha), now, while I do think TyT was always not very good, I think that at least it worked in Season 1, that it did its job, was just meant to be extra minor uncommitted show made to entertain the younger audiences, I believe it wasn't really even necessary to watch it, just like Equestria Girls. But again, now it's different. I do think the problem actually started with the final episode of the 6th Chapter of MyM, you know, sometimes I say here “everything went downhill after the Opaline arc ended”, now, I have nothing against them actually trying to make something new, Opaline's story was all related to Twilight and G4 etc, they trying to make completely new characters and villain is fine, but the way they did it in the ending of Chapter 6 just seemed extremely suspicious to me, like, why ignore everything brought up in the Opaline arc? It ended, yes, but with her ending, more questions arose than answers, why suddenly there's nothing more about Twilight? What about Spike? Why suddenly Zipp forgot about all these mysteries surrounding the past of G5, she was so interested on it, and now she just doesn't even talk about it anymore, suddenly all connections with G4 stopped, it's just not normal.

Now, anyone here who read those giant texts I wrote way back in the 2023 after the release of Chapter 6, remember when I said “with the Opaline story and G4 connections, they expected that this generation would be a hit and a lot of old fans would praise it, but it didn't happen, so now they gave up on the G4 connections, and now are going to tell stories with completely new characters that have nothing to do with G4, and focus on pleasing only the children from now on”? Well, at least for me, it seems to be indeed happening, TyT continues to feel like a show only aimed at the younger audience, the stories it's telling aren't interesting at all or are hindered by the short format, again, made to please the children, and there are no more G4 references. That's just all so sudden, in 2023 I also used to say that even though G5/MyM felt limited, the creative team behind it at least tried their best, as there wasn't Season 2 of TyT at the time and I had the hope that it could still be great, I can say, I'm just not feeling that effort anymore. I think the last episode of Chapter 6 was made to set up the “new story arc” in a way that TyT wouldn't be able to do, it was a 40 minutes special after all, so they used MyM to do it, because the show could've very well ended with Opaline's defeat.

I'll now make a list of what has happened so far since the ending of MyM Chapter 6.

-They introduced the Auroricorns, Comet now wants to live in Maretime Bay, and Allura went to the “New Equestria” with the purpose of retrieving that crystal (forgot the name) so she could return home, and there's the mystery about her brother, okay, good.

-TyT Season 2 starts, Mane Six are aware of Allura and think that she may actually not be evil, okay, good.

-A Mysterious Room in the Brighthouse, that references past generations with a mysterious voice, okay, weird, but quite interesting.

-A “Portal” in a Bridlewood lake formed by Breezies, which leads to some unknown plane with the same mysterious voice from the Room in the Brighthouse, okay.

-A Mysterious Carpet showing what could be a depiction of Skyros is found in the ruins of Opaline's Castle, good, but the castle, a place that could be revisited to discover more new stuff or be used for potential future stories, is completely destroyed by some dumb raccoons, bad.

-Twitch apparently likes Hitch and Pipp, and leaves Allura to have fun with the rabbits inside the mare stream, pretty much “betraying her”, okay, interesting.

-A Mysterious Egg appears in Maretime Bay, a puzzle is solved, and a phoenix gets out of it, with no explanation, bad.

-20 minutes special released, good, but it's Izzy going on an adventure that somehow still feels rushed given how fast each scenario is, meh. Allura is still hiding and with her goal of retrieving that crystal, good, but Twitch is back to her with absolutely no explanation, bad. Izzy goes to the Isle of Scaly and Starlight Ridge and we finally see the Dragons and a Auroricorn again, good, but their screen time is very short with little relevance to the plot, meh. Izzy goes to a new aquatic location and meets a Seapony there, good, but the scene is also very short, and when Izzy meets Destiny, with no explanation, she refers to her as a “Real Seapony” as if she knew what a Seapony is, while we were never really introduced to Sea Ponies in this generation in any moment, bad. Izzy tells about encountering a Seapony to her friends, and they just have no reaction to this important event, bad. The crystal splits into multiple pieces, they're just used to charge an abandoned amusement park that has no relevance, we're talking about an object that was used to travel through different places around the world, and retrieving it was the main goal of the villain Allura, completely wasted, very bad.

-Characters go to a world in a book, have a random rushed adventure there, befriend a monster and go home, probably are never going to return there. Meh.

-Sunny's mother is revealed and establishes a mystery about what could've possibly happened to her, very good, but the characters aren't interested in discovering about it, Bad.

-The Mane Six go to a new location that could be the current Cloudsdale, good, but there's nothing there, just a crazy machine making rainbows out of control, because of a stupid snail, they return home and nothing happens, very very very bad, even if it's not Cloudsdale, it's still really bad.

And I'll not even talk about them forgetting about Comet, Zephyr Heights, Queen Haven etc.

I think with this we can see a pattern, TyT is establishing multiple mysteries in each episode, but doesn't bother trying to explain them, or solves them in the same episode in an extremely lazy way, or simply leaves them unanswered, every 1 step forward, it gives 5 backwards, which is very bad, okay, you can say that they can try to address these unanswered questions in the future, maybe, but that will only be even more problematic for TyT, firstly, we already have too many mysteries at the same time, Opaline's arc, as previously said, it ended up leaving more questions than answers, with none of them answered so far, that is, if they still haven't addressed mysteries that arose in, like, the first chapters of MyM, what guarantees that they will address the more recent ones? And worse, if they forget simple but important details of the story, like Twitch betraying Allura, what guarantee that they will not forget these recently established mysteries?

What is worse that it's almost feeling like that they retconned the Mane Six being aware of Allura in Maretime Bay, there's absolutely no one commenting about her in that world, okay, I like the concept of a sneaky villain, who works in the shadows and all, it's cool, and I liked Allura in the Secrets of Starlights special and her little moments in TyT so far, but they just aren't doing anything with her character, from a lots of nothing happening in the episodes, all she gets are very short scenes, she at least had her goal in retrieving the crystal, but with the crystal “gone”, what she's up to now??? 

Man, Opaline we knew very well about her plans since the beginning, they worked well her objectives and explained why she couldn't invade Equestria, may you love or hate her, but she was written very clearly, she had a start and a finale, she had presence, and better, everything or almost everything that has been presented in MyM, was connected to her, Twilight, the Crisis on Equestria, the isolation of the Dragons, Misty's broken character, etc, she was behind all of this.

Now, Allura, tell me, what does Misty's secret room, the past of Sunny's mother, Skyros, all the mysteries presented so far have to do with her? Nothing, she had such a clear objective that has been thrown on the trash, and the Mane Six just forgot about her existence, like??? She's being irrelevant as hell, they don't know what to do with this character, you can say that maybe the objective is to make her stuck in Maretime Bay and the Mane Six try to befriend her, I can see that, but they are with so much, so much stuff to work on, that it'll just take a lot for it to happen, so she'll continue to be irrelevant, they could've tried to at least make a episode developing her, but no, they wasted the potential story of the crystal pieces splitting through the world and her and the Mane Six going in a race-ish adventure to find them, instead, they prefer to make a extremely divisive revisit to possible current Cloudsdale that leads up to literally nothing.

So, Tell your Tale, or G5, story-wise, is basically not going anywhere.

And there are other problems as well, such as the toys, I keep repeating this from time to time, if you like Tell your Tale's art style, it's fine, good for you, but it's a fact that most people don't like it or think it's just not good compared to G4's art style, and that hinders G5 from selling itself, kids and adults will look at them and they'll want to buy the G4 toys because they look more appealing, more expressive, I looked at the G5 toys and they all just have the exactly same base facial expression, plus, I know G4 repeated a lot of toys and models, but they at least had toys in different body types and distinguishable features, the G5 ones just look basic, with very few exceptions, they at least are really good with the manes and tails, but everything else just don't look appealing, also, I don't think the 3D of MyM/A New Generation translated very well into the toys, but I think that's maybe very subjective.

Can't talk about the comics and the videogames, I haven't read the comics yet and I don't play video games.

Now, take all these problems to the count + the fact that G5 is surviving through a shorts show that was meant to be a minor production with no purpose of telling big or any relevant stories, and you have a cake that practically spent too long in the oven, and I'm eating that cake, but at least it's not a completely burnt cake, I'll tell you why at the end.

Now, if you agree that G5 is indeed in a very bad situation, you may say that it's all Hasbro's fault, and well, yeah, it is, but let's not go straight saying that they are all a bunch of incompetents, they can be to a certain extent, but not totally, they wouldn't be so dumb to this point, if they're failing this much with G5 there must be reasons for it, reasons that are beyond our knowledge and which must involve internal problems within the company, plus, there's of course, the ultimate off-side that probably makes difficulty to Hasbro from actually doing something interesting with G5, which I have repeated tirelessly countless times here, the contract with Discovery Family, there's a huge possibility that they just gave up with the G4 connections stuff because they don't want to pay Discovery for using the characters, so they are just doing anything until the contract expires.

Also, important, let's stop to think about something, I'm saying that G5 is in a bad situation, but I'm saying this from a adult perspective, as an adult, for me it's just ridiculous to see that this generation is restricted to surviving through silly shorts that can hardly tell a good or interesting story properly, specially that it had a 3D show with 22/40 minutes episodes with a an actual storyline. But what about the target audience? What do they think about it? 

Not saying that it's true, but I heard that TyT performs really great with children, that it gives good profit etc, even more than G4, I think this was said in that Hasbro's leaked image showing the planning for the franchise and its performance way back in 2023? 

In case if it's true, and G5 is really doing good with its target audience, then from a corporate point of view, getting rid of Make Your Mark, continuing with Tell your Tale only and not investing in telling good stories anymore, was indeed the best decision, which also ties in with what I said in 2023 “My Little Pony will go back to how it used to be before G4, no older fans or audience following it, only little girls, if they failed to please the older audiences with the Opaline arc, then why keep trying? Just focus on the kids”

If this is correct then it makes a lot of sense, the younger audiences probably not only don't care if TyT is lame compared to MyM and G4, but also don't care about the connections to G4 or a deeper story, they're really fine with these 5 minute shorts.

If it's true then Hasbro is just really taking the better path and there's really nothing for us to do about it.

As a MLP fan, I must say, I'm really sad, I really want to be positive about G5, I didn't love Make Your Mark and the Movie, at least not as much as G4, G5 wasn't exactly what I wanted for post-G4 MLP, but I accepted it and I really liked it and that was enough for me, I like the characters, the 3D visuals, I thought the world was boring but they at least tried to make interesting explorations and showed a little of the culture of each of the 3 locations, and I think it was suitable for the story it tells with such mysterious past, I loved Opaline and etc, and most important, there was hype, I was really hyped to see how Make Your Mark was going to end (and I was spoiled by the Tell Your Tale recap ep!), that's why I said that they tried their best, it really kept my interest, Make Your Mark with 22 minutes per episode had really great moments and interesting and memorable character arcs, for me, it was really worth the wait for every chapter (well, the final chapter actually as when I started watching it there were already the first 5 chapters XD)

Now, I just can't, just can't get excited for a short every two weeks, a short with a average story and animation, it's just… Imagine, every day at school or work, at lunch time, they serve you chicken with fries, bread, ketchup, sauce and a soda, but suddenly they start serving just the bread and nothing else. That is G5 before and G5 now for me, It's a monstrous downgrade.

I just miss it, I can rewatch the Make Your Mark episodes multiple times, but not this, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that TyT is entirely bad, when TyT tries to be very good, it delivers something really good, “Opaline Alone” was one of the best things to come out from this generation in my opinion, a very good villain focused episode that used the 5 minutes format very well, and a few episodes from this Season were good, the problem is, they have an actual responsibility unlike the Season 1 episodes, and the short format just hinders them, which makes their potential feel totally wasted, Sunny's mother episode could've been a lot better if it was something like, Sunny's focused special episode, in this short format, it makes me feel good for seeing Sunny's mother and the memories, but also sad because due to this damn short format, we're probably never going to see anything more about her again, or it will take a lot for them to revisit it again, it's an interesting plot that they have to squeeze to fit this format and then waste it and move on to the next one, and the way how the first 20 minutes special was, I doubt the other 3 specials are going to do any difference.

It saddens me that it has to be like this, if the reason for this is the contract with Discovery Family, I can understand it, but if Hasbro really needs to deal with this in a sabbatical full year, then I think they shouldn't rush things and actually focus on doing something great, I don't want G5 to be awesome like G4, I accept that, the lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, but the way it is, it's just unacceptable, it can be great, so now I'll make a wish list of what I believe that is necessary for G5 to be great again.

• First of all, it was already a big mistake to make TyT Season 2 start exactly a month after the end of Season 1 (most specifically 20 days), I know TyT episodes are cheaper and faster to be made, still, you can see how rushy it is, not even G4 could do such thing, they often had long breaks between Seasons, like from 3 to 6 months, so I think they should:

1. End the Season 2 of TyT, and take a break, make up plans for the next season, or better, a new show, TyT would not be renewed to a third Season, a New show would take the lead of G5 instead, several months would be used to develop this new show, G5 wouldn't receive any animated content at this moment, yes, but it would be for the best, as the hiatus would give time for the writers to make really good stories.

2. The episodes of this new show would be all 22 minutes long, and long episodes take much longer to develop, that's why a semester break would be necessary, for the production team to prepare themselves for this new format.

3. This new show would be 2D, no more 3D, the 3D for MyM wasn't bad but was a problem because it was a limiter, they couldn't do everything with it, too expensive.

4. Completely abandon the TyT art style, the backgrounds can be kept, but the character art styles should be changed, to a more G4-esque style, I'm sorry TyT art style fans, but making a visual inferior to the one of the past generation was a huge mistake, G4's visuals weren't just perfect because they were very good and appealing, but because they were also a huge improvement from the previous generations, which just hadn't a very appealing style for everyone. Making such visual for Tell your Tale is literally going backwards, once you made a such memorable and beautiful art style become the registered mark of your series, you can't make a new incarnation of it with new a art style that is worse, people want a art style that looks exactly the same as the one they like or at least one that is very similar or better, so make G4-esque visuals and you not only will sell the show better, but also the toys, make new toys with this new G4-esque art style, if they really want to make a G4-esque art style but also make it feel original, then it's definitely not had, just look at my arts or the works of any other pone artist, there's no challenge and specially no excuse.

5. If shorts are so profitable, then why not make the 22 minutes show and post a few shorts from time to time? You could make not just 5 minutes, but 3 minutes instead, MLP and Equestria Girls had 3 minute shorts, the kiddos would love it, if back on G4 they could do it, why not now? Would be cheaper because they would use the same 2D animation and visuals as the 22 minute episodes, unlike how it was before where they made 3D 22 minute episodes and 2D 5 minutes shorts.

6. Make the show available on Youtube, if FiM is there, then that's the game.

7. Release at least one movie of the same scope as A New Generation every 2 years.

And that's it, you may think that they should do a G5 Equestria Girls etc and all, but for me this is just the necessary to make this generation at least minimally decent again.

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening anytime soon, I already accepted that this isn't G5's future, we are doomed to stay with these 5 minute shorts with mid visuals and stories.

I genuinely don't know if this makes me feel more frustrated or disappointed, probably the latter, I care so much about MLP, I know it can't be like how it used to be in G4 again, but I know it can still be great, I really want it to be great again, until MyM Chapter 6 it was great, for me at least, it's a proof of it, but Hasbro just refuses to do it, and I just can't be angry at them because they probably have their reasons.

Now, if in any likelihood, TyT isn't doing very good for Hasbro…

Then I give just a year, a year, for this generation.

I'm really not enjoying watching TyT anymore, I just keep watching it to make me updated, and because for me, it's not a burnt cake, yet, remember the cake analogy? So, i'll continue watching TyT because for me it's just a cake that's been in the oven too long, it doesn't taste good, but also doesn't taste bad, as long as it doesn't get annoying for me to watch, I'm up to it, even though I'm barely caring about the characters and the stories told anymore, I'm really not caring about it, it's boring, it's not interesting, the episodes are forgettable, yes some of them are fun, but most of them I'll probably just never watch ever again in my life because they absolutely have no rewatch value for me, if I had to pay to watch TyT, I wouldn't be watching it, I'm really watching it just because it's officially for free on Youtube, I wouldn't pay to eat a cake that doesn't taste good, MyM was a show worth subscribing to Netflix just to watch it, this one is not, and even if it's for free, if the episodes start to be really bad for me, a burnt cake, I'll quit it, sorry, G1, Equestria Girls, Pony Life and the comics are all a much better “new” content for me to explore.

And there were people way back in 2023 during the run of MyM, saying that G5 was really sucking. Hehe, If G5 with MyM was already really bad, then imagine now.

Planned to make something like “I Give up on G5" as the title, but the one I choose is more suitable solely because I still watch TyT even though I'm so hopeless with it, so I didn't gave up on G5, there must be still a glimpse of hope in the confines of my spirit, no matter if I'm almost done with it, or it's just me with ill will,  I also said that a time ago that they could be ending this generation with a multiversal plot or making huge connections with G4 again after the contract expires, but honestly? I also think it's very possible that this generation is going to end with nothing special happening, just like how the DCEU ended, if Hasbro really have no plans for the future of this shit, then I couldn't care less, it's just depressing to see how we wnt from A New Generation and Make Your Mark, to this, it had so much potential, if people complained about the Make Your Mark, then they could've taken the opportunity to wait and do something really good after the Opaline arc ended, but they wasted that opportunity and are now just writing shit and ruining multiple plots that had the potential to tell really good stories.

Wish I could do anything, but I think we can really just trust Hasbro and expect a miracle to happen and make this generation good again, thanks for reading this.

Rafa Stary Story

• Brohoof 3
  • smile 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

There have been a few good things in TYT and G5 lately, but the overall decision to quit making 3D content is what I think will doom it in the long run if more 3D isn't made. If the series ends in 2025, well, I would consider it an okay run. It can't live up to G4 by any means, but at least we had more pony - even if it was very flawed in its writing and development, it still brought more onto the table. I just don't like the overall world set up, the designs of the dragons. There needs to be more worldbuilding and not rehashing the same plots. Sunny's mother being shown is a step in the right direction and I hope they do more with it. I think they should have stuck to making one show that is at least 20 minutes in length, and 3D. But if they wanted to mass produce low effort episodes and make more profit, TYT being the only show is the way to do it. I don't want some low effort produced junk - I want something that is good. TYT has its good moments, but it doesn't strike me as being particularly memorable. Just the least they could do is stop connecting it to G4. The connection point to G4 is what frustrates me the most. Just don't do it at all.

• Brohoof 2
  • Sad 1

(edited)

Why should they go back to making 3D if it was too expensive and held them back from actually making a lot of stuff, 2023 proved us that MyM episodes were finished almost a year after the TyT episodes, and why should them stop making G4 connections if doing this has always been the premise of this generation since the beginning and the only time the story was actually interesting and thrilling was when they were doing just that? I don't know, I don't get it, If it's for the best of this generation then I'm against the former and pro the latter

Edit: Also if you disliked the dragons so much, let's remember that a possible reason for them looking like that is the 3D, they couldn't create a new species with a completely new model, so they had to use the Pony model and change it to make it look like a Dragon. Another reason to why they shouldn't go back to 3D, a new 2D series would be much better.

Edited by Rafa Stary
  • Brohoof 2

...Another G5 dooming thread? :mellow: Is there any reason to keep bemoaning this series being "a lost cause"? What's the problem with just appreciating what we have while we have it:pip-err:

• Brohoof 2

12 minutes ago, Misty Shadow said:

...Another G5 dooming thread? :mellow: Is there any reason to keep bemoaning this series being "a lost cause"? What's the problem with just appreciating what we have while we have it:pip-err:

It's a post showing my personal disappointment with it, and just because they are still releasing new stuff, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't criticize it, and I surely prefer a Half year break of nothing over getting more short episodes, because I know that would be good for the producers to actually make the show much, and I mean, much better than it is, if I'm saying this it's because I care and what we've been getting so far is just a example of how this generation is definitely not receiving the treatment it should, as I repeated multiple times, this generation had potential and MyM showed that, I'm not like a G5 hater or someone who says that it was already bad during the run of Make Your Mark, I'm the opposite, I try to be positive about it but also realistic, and for me the reality is that it was good during Make Your Mark, but now what they are delivering with Tell Your Tale is wasting stories with so much potential and that just shows that this generation is failing, what's the problem with just appreciating it? Is that I just can't appreciate at all because it isn't good.

I personally wouldn't care about it if it was like this from the beginning, if G5 since the beginning was just Tell your Tale telling 5 minutes silly stories with no deep story and all, I would've accepted it because that would be the initial purpose of this generation, i would've said said "yeah, not watching this because it's not for me", the problem is, that it's not the case, G5 started with a really good movie with a good story, and continued into a 3D series with also good stories with long episodes, TyT was never meant to be the lead series, but just a extra production with little relevance. Now, chaing that, stop making MyM and make TyT into the main series and don't change the 5 minutes format and waste these stories, it's just not good, imagine playing a really good platforming game that you're enjoying a lot, and then in its 2nd half, it suddenly becomes a auto-run game with little effort put into it, would've you liked it? This is my point

I care a lot about it and I want G5 to be great again, I know very well that taking a break from releasing new episodes over and over, and actually give time for the production team to work writing really good stories and changing the visuals to help this generation to sell itself, would be really good, would catch back the interest of fans who stopped watching it because it's just not good, and would probably be good for Hasbro themselves, but they just prefer to keep making these shorts non-stop and wasting the potential of these stories, I can say this for sure because all we've been seeing so far was made way back in 2023, literally all episodes of TyT released in 2023 were made way back in 2021-2022, for you to see that they are just rushing it and barely putting real effort into it, during G4 they did correctly by doing long breaks between Seasons to give the writers time to work on the stories, they aren't doing this here. 

If I say that it's a lost cause, but in so much detail, saying that it was good and how it could be good again, is that I'm worried about it, If you really think this generation is not in a bad situation and that TyT is always delivering good episodes, then well, it's fine, your opinion, but I surely will always disagree, I don't want to be rude or anything, sorry if I sound like that, but for me you just seem to accept whathever shit they drop and don't stop to think that this generation was in a much better situation literally 7 months ago, I highly apologize for that but it's just how I think, I just wish the best for this generation, it's not just me, multiple other people think the same, but most of them just gave up and don't care about G5, I do, if it's in such a bad situation like this, I'm totally pro we not receiving anymore content for several months just to get something really good in a near future, I'm very patient, but if you think what we are getting is good enough and there's nothing to worry about, well, good for you.

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, Jatotz said:

It's not easy to appreciate something you don't enjoy.

Exactly, as I said, I solely keep watching TyT because it's not annoying for me to watch, wasting 5 minutes of my life watching is nothing for me, and specially because it's free to watch on Youtube, but it's just being boring and not fun for me to watch it, if it was annoying for me, or if I had to pay to watch it, I just wouldn't be watching it. I said it multiple times in multiple posts, I try to be positive about G5 and really enjoy it, I really liked the Movie and MyM, but I'm just not enjoying TyT, but it goes beyond that because for me it's just not doing any good for a generation that was telling such interesting stories in a appropriate episode format literally a year ago.

So I'm not only not enjoying it, but I also think it's harming the brand and wasting the creativity of the artists and writters behind it, I know very well what I saw in the movie and in MyM, look at what they'e done there, here, they're just not receiving the treatment they deserve.

• Brohoof 2

27 minutes ago, Jatotz said:

It's not easy to appreciate something you don't enjoy.

23 minutes ago, Rafa Stary said:

It's a post showing my personal disappointment with it, and just because they are still releasing new stuff, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't criticize it, and I surely prefer a Half year break of nothing over getting more short episodes, because I know that would be good for the producers to actually make the show much, and I mean, much better than it is, if I'm saying this it's because I care and what we've been getting so far is just a example of how this generation is definitely not receiving the treatment it should, as I repeated multiple times, this generation had potential and MyM showed that, I'm not like a G5 hater or someone who says that it was already bad during the run of Make Your Mark, I'm the opposite, I try to be positive about it but also realistic, and for me the reality is that it was good during Make Your Mark, but now what they are delivering with Tell Your Tale is wasting stories with so much potential and that just shows that this generation is failing, what's the problem with just appreciating it? Is that I just can't appreciate at all because it isn't good.

The problem is that we have an excess of discussions that are only about complaining when complaining is not going to fix anything. We can appreciate the fact that we are at least still getting MLP content when we could be getting no content at all. 

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Rafa Stary said:

Why should they go back to making 3D if it was too expensive and held them back from actually making a lot of stuff, 2023 proved us that MyM episodes were finished almost a year after the TyT episodes, and why should them stop making G4 connections if doing this has always been the premise of this generation since the beginning and the only time the story was actually interesting and thrilling was when they were doing just that? I don't know, I don't get it, If it's for the best of this generation then I'm against the former and pro the latter

Edit: Also if you disliked the dragons so much, let's remember that a possible reason for them looking like that is the 3D, they couldn't create a new species with a completely new model, so they had to use the Pony model and change it to make it look like a Dragon. Another reason to why they shouldn't go back to 3D, a new 2D series would be much better.

The attempts at connecting it to G5 have been poor at best. It feels like a massive let down for this to be a "sequel" to G4 - seeing how all of what the characters accomplished in G4 was to be torn apart and left out in the dust. Opaline had to be the most successful villain ever for that to be the case, for her to destroy Pony Unity. I think the Dragon Designs have nothing to do with 3D, but pure laziness on the part of the animators. Most of my qualms with G5 can be solved by making it as its own universe. But despite that, I try to appreciate it while we have it. 

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

16 minutes ago, Props Valroa said:

The attempts at connecting it to G5 have been poor at best. It feels like a massive let down for this to be a "sequel" to G4 - seeing how all of what the characters accomplished in G4 was to be torn apart and left out in the dust. Opaline had to be the most successful villain ever for that to be the case, for her to destroy Pony Unity. I think the Dragon Designs have nothing to do with 3D, but pure laziness on the part of the animators. Most of my qualms with G5 can be solved by making it as its own universe. But despite that, I try to appreciate it while we have it. 

Hey, that's your opinion, good for you. I'm just voicing my opinion on how I feel, thinking we've beaten a dead horse enough

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Misty Shadow said:

Hey, that's your opinion, good for you. I'm just voicing my opinion on how I feel, thinking we've beaten a dead horse enough

That is fair - I sort of feel the same. I understand that some may not like G5, but, I feel like too much negativity is in the air about G5

• Brohoof 1

35 minutes ago, Misty Shadow said:

The problem is that we have an excess of discussions that are only about complaining when complaining is not going to fix anything. We can appreciate the fact that we are at least still getting MLP content when we could be getting no content at all. 

We can, but I would appreaciate much more if they stopped making new MLP content at least for a time to actually work in something really good, I'm not sure about you, maybe you really want new episodes every week so bad, I understand it if it's the case, but I'm patient so I'll always wait the necessary time for them to deliver the best content they can.

Some people may complain because they're just haters and don't care about G5 at all,, but there are people who complain because they do care about G5 and wish the best for it, there was a Youtuber that I watched last year, won't reveal who he is, but in his videos he was super positive about G5 during the run of MyM, just like me, even with its problems he actually thought it was good and he was hyped to see more of it, when Chapter 6 was released, he was completely devastated, because the Opaline arc ended leaving much more questions than answers that would never be answered because they gave up on the G4 connections, because there would be no more Make your Mark, because the only show that would continue to get new episodes, was going to be Tell your Tale, and he just thought that was extremely depressing because he knew that Tell your Tale wouldn't do any justice for G5, I felt sad for him at the time, but not so much because I was hopeful that Tell your Tale could save G5, but now that I no longer have that hope, I'm just feeling even stronger what that Youtuber felt.

Misty if you felt offended by what I said about your relation with current G5, again, I'm sorry, it's just that I really care about the health of the series, as said before, even though G5 isn't exactly what expected for post-G4 content, I totally embraced it, I'm one of the very few people who actually really liked it and thought that the connections with G4 were actually good, damn, I liked the Dragon designs, Hasbro taking all of that away and forcing us to continue watching it through a minor rushed production with barely any story line at all, is just depressing for me. If you all really think TyT is doing good, then again, good for you, this generation may end and you all will be satisfied with it. People who don't like G5 will probably just laugh at it when it ends or just not care about it, but I'll just look at it with a sad look, because it had potential to be much more, again, I would've been completely fine with it if it was like this since the beginning, a whole generation about shorts with mid stories, it would be okay, I would've disliked it and shouldn't care about it because it wouldn't be the series for me, and if you liked it it would be good for you, but it wasn't like this, ANG and MyM made me care about this generation, about these characters and their future.

Unfortunately complaining indeed is not going to solve anything, that's why I said that I don't believe that they'll improve it, I'm not hopeful, but just seeing that there are people who actually care about it is good enough for me, form em this is something to appreaciate, and not more and more average shorts with wasted stories and that very probably were all rushed in development, but if you disagree, it's fine.

It's depressing that it has to be like this, if it was extremely divisive during the run of MyM, then now it's a completely broken.

• Brohoof 2

The biggest point of the opinions in this thread is just how a waste G5 is in general. Personally I really liked the new designs, characters and settings and me like many other people had hopes after the movie. But they are just wasting it, in everything. I don't care for the TYT designs despite the pony anatomy there being strange (even being cartoonish just like G4, I'm not really complaining about it) and actually I do like MYM design, I felt when I started watching MYM that I would be fond of this generation as much as G4, that I would be invested in the characters and world setting, buying the toys to support the show and even draw in its style. Until, well, noticing the many flaws left in MYM, some episodes I really did not enjoyed since it's first chapters, not understanding at all what TYT is supposed to be or how I should watch it (which I didn't until, well, now, because if I want to continue G5 I have to watch it now), and now there are just a dozen more reasons that made me left out of this gen. I don't feel like investing in the TYT design because I feel the show is ending. I'm not buying the toys because we are only getting secondary ponies in special sets, meanwhile everything else are the mane 5/6, and the blind bags are horrible, starting by male ponies using female molds because Hasbro is so friggin' lazy to the point of not creating new molds or investing in the design, and I don't even have to mention that a lot of the toys releases hadn't gone to some countries, making them more exclusive and expensive as time pass, which show they don't care. TYT look as cheap as some episodes from MYM because the new mane 6 and Maretime Bay is almost everything that matters as a setting and "worldbuilding", and I know they explored some new locations and a few new ponies, but, well, despite being a new generation I have to compare to G4 if since the start they've been connecting to G4. And comparing to G4, it's bad. Really bad. I miss being fond in secondary characters, I miss interesting and somewhat deep worldbuilding and places to explore, I miss actually the fact that G4 had many non-protagonist ponies as toys, and start a collection of my own with my own little ponies, as I said in another thread. The show is not the only thing going down from G5, as said in previous replys here as the best word to describe, G5 is also harming the franchise as a whole, principally the toys being a collectible item about different ponies which you can tell they personalities and deeds by the mark in their flank, now we have only 5 ponies to understand that, rarely another pony let alone WITHOUT a mane 5, and Misty being a sixth mane doesn't make much difference. 
Overall, I had a huge faith in G5 to continue the MLP world and I didn't imagine it would be that bad. I still don't entirely hate it, and Hitch will always remain one of my favorite characters of MLP as a whole, but I refused to buy his brushable because I don't want to give Hasbro money. I'm a male adult, I'm not the main target they want, but I should still be seen as a customer. And as a customer I'm not satisfied with the product, both the show and the toys. So I'm not going to support it until they fix their product or move on, and since many of us discussed the possible end of G5 in 2025, I'll wait for it, and honestly, I hope it's true. I really hope G5 rest in peace soon. And next that, either Hasbro drops their biggest sucessful franchise, or try again as G4 did and build the childhood of many children and be the happiness and hobby for many adults. That's what gave them money before.

• Brohoof 1

I'm also going to add that the excess of MLP grievance threads has been going on for years now and it just keeps getting worse. If you were me, you too would be tired of always seeing threads that are just being made for venting about a children's series. 

• Brohoof 3

Tis quite amusing no? Hohoho. Sacrebluh... Why o why has zhis happen zho zhe jen 5?

Anyway if it was better there would've been less grievances... Just shows how disappointed most fans are.

Not saying gen 4 has none. But that too is a kids show and this too is a kids show... Steven universe and other famous kids shows are being given grievances.... So we should be used to it by now that even kid's shows are open for it.

• Brohoof 2

@Rafa Stary I suggest doing something that makes you happy, not something that bothers you. I'm not the type of person to waste my free time doing something that I don't enjoy and that can be avoided, and I would encourage others to be that way as well. Play MLP video games, read G4 fan-fics and browse G4 art, or maybe even leave it all behind entirely and start doing something new.

As for G5, I think it's differences from G4 has caused it an undeserved amount of criticism. This is typical though, for a good work that proceeds an excellent work to have more criticism. Or in other words, one work does exceedingly well because it was designed exceedingly well, while the work proceeding it does exceedingly bad despite being designed well, which can be attributed partially to unrealistic expectations formed as a result of the initial work.

I think such is the case with G5; however, I think G5 has narrative problems as well. Indeed, while many G5 criticisms are a result of unnecessary and high expectations, there are also many G5 criticisms that are a result of narrative problems regarding G5. Despite the narrative criticisms it received, I think it was good quality in its early stages. Again, many of the narrative criticisms most likely stemmed from unreasonable comparisons to G4.

In the end, G5 could still be enjoyed by many despite its quality not matching up to that of G4.

Regarding my opinion, I think G5 is a good generation that's been diminished in content and perhaps even quality lately due to insufficient revenue. I might try to watch most of it sometime, but ever since Hasbro had the "astounding" idea of putting MYM on Netflix which forced me to either pay a monthly fee or not get to see it at all (I chose to not get to see it at all), I haven't been able to watch it. There's TYT on YouTube, but I have yet to watch most of it and its aesthetic doesn't look that interesting to me. Perhaps I'll give it another chance sometime though.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Misty Shadow said:

I'm also going to add that the excess of MLP grievance threads has been going on for years now and it just keeps getting worse. If you were me, you too would be tired of always seeing threads that are just being made for venting about a children's series. 

I don't know if this was towards my comment, but I'll say here is a MLP forum for discussing about MLP that have been on air for years, thousands of threads and new members coming around from time to time. It's a place to discuss a kids show no matter what is about, so...?

Edited by donutmasterjoe
  • Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Misty Shadow said:

Problem is, regardless of the negativism for G5 in general, things don’t look particularly good for G5, and that’s a fact :sunny:

• Brohoof 3

Gen 5 made wrong move.... They shouldn't have made it a continuation of gen 4. 

Luckily makaryo is making great content on gen 5! A true brony. Go support that sili makaroni pony 

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Misty Shadow said:

If you were me, you would separate the negativity from the criticism, and you too would be tired of always seeing people hating on G5 for no reason, they were trying so hard during the MyM run, I'm not saying that these fans should like MyM or G5, if they disliked it, it's fine, but what I saw was just a lot of unfair hate, haters don't care, if you want to consider the two sides as part of the same herd then it's fine, but I'm not, I'm against hate, I complain because I care, I support this generation, I pay Netflix to watch A New Generation and Make Your Mark, and I give views to the MLP channel by watching the Tell your Tale episodes, i have the right to complain if I'm not satisfied with the product, I try to be reasonable and logical here, there are things I don't understand, that's why I said that it's Hasbro fault, but I didn't say they're a bunch of incompetents, I don't know what's going on inside the company, they must have their reasons for making these decisions, I try to look through every single perspective, because my complaining also needs to be fair, that's why I said that, if focusing only in TyT is giving them more profits than when they had the 3D show, then I understand them, it was indeed the best path they could take and that I just can't do anything about it but accept, it's a show for children and if it's working for them, then there's nothing to worry about. If i try to understand even the corporate side of it, it's because I'm truly worried, the rest was all written because there's the possibility that TyT just isn't doing any good for Hasbro, if I didn't care I wouldn't have made a full section solely to talk about how this generation can be saved, I should appreaciate the new content they're delivering, but not worry about the health of the series and specially, the creative team behind it that likely isn't having enough time to actually work and deliver a good product? That's my point, but okay, I'm not going to talk about this anymore, actually as I said, it is meant to be my final post talking about this subject after all, and if I give up on this generation, I won't write another long text again, if people are happy with something and they don't want to hear my criticism towards this thing, then I'll just keep it to myself, enough is enough, it's sad because months ago I was so positive and happy about this generation, now I'll just look like another hater or someone who doesn't care about it, my very first post in this site was talking about the future of G5, because I was worried about it, but it seems that just won't matter.

well, that's how it works.

6 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

@Rafa Stary I suggest doing something that makes you happy, not something that bothers you. I'm not the type of person to waste my free time doing something that I don't enjoy and that can be avoided, and I would encourage others to be that way as well. Play MLP video games, read G4 fan-fics and browse G4 art, or maybe even leave it all behind entirely and start doing something new.

I appreciate your concern EpicEnergy, but don't worry, I've learned and I'll not be doing the same mistake that I did last year with Sonic Prime, I really wasn't enjoying that show from the beginning but I kept forcing myself to like it just because I was fan of the franchise, that made me really frustrated, that won't happen with Tell your Tale, as I said, I just keep watching it because, even though for me it's boring and not fun, I don't mind watching 5 minutes of it every 2 weeks, I'm not forcing me to watch or like it, it's not annoying for me, yet, when it starts to annoy me, I'll stop, I know that's the best I choice I can take, thanks.

6 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

As for G5, I think it's differences from G4 has caused it an undeserved amount of criticism. This is typical though, for a good work that proceeds an excellent work to have more criticism. Or in other words, one work does exceedingly well because it was designed exceedingly well, while the work proceeding it does exceedingly bad despite being designed well, which can be attributed partially to unrealistic expectations formed as a result of the initial work.

I think such is the case with G5; however, I think G5 has narrative problems as well. Indeed, while many G5 criticisms are a result of unnecessary and high expectations, there are also many G5 criticisms that are a result of narrative problems regarding G5. Despite the narrative criticisms it received, I think it was good quality in its early stages. Again, many of the narrative criticisms most likely stemmed from unreasonable comparisons to G4.

In the end, G5 could still be enjoyed by many despite its quality not matching up to that of G4.

The worst thing is that I didn't even have high expectations for G5, when I finished G4, I went to G5 already expecting it wouldn't be as good, so I just expected it to be fun and minimally interesting, that's enough for me, and A New Generation and MyM delivered that, they didn't disappoint me, but Tell your Tale doesn't deliver that, not for me.

9 hours ago, donutmasterjoe said:

The biggest point of the opinions in this thread is just how a waste G5 is in general. Personally I really liked the new designs, characters and settings and me like many other people had hopes after the movie. But they are just wasting it, in everything. I don't care for the TYT designs despite the pony anatomy there being strange (even being cartoonish just like G4, I'm not really complaining about it) and actually I do like MYM design, I felt when I started watching MYM that I would be fond of this generation as much as G4, that I would be invested in the characters and world setting, buying the toys to support the show and even draw in its style. Until, well, noticing the many flaws left in MYM, some episodes I really did not enjoyed since it's first chapters, not understanding at all what TYT is supposed to be or how I should watch it (which I didn't until, well, now, because if I want to continue G5 I have to watch it now), and now there are just a dozen more reasons that made me left out of this gen. I don't feel like investing in the TYT design because I feel the show is ending. I'm not buying the toys because we are only getting secondary ponies in special sets, meanwhile everything else are the mane 5/6, and the blind bags are horrible, starting by male ponies using female molds because Hasbro is so friggin' lazy to the point of not creating new molds or investing in the design, and I don't even have to mention that a lot of the toys releases hadn't gone to some countries, making them more exclusive and expensive as time pass, which show they don't care. TYT look as cheap as some episodes from MYM because the new mane 6 and Maretime Bay is almost everything that matters as a setting and "worldbuilding", and I know they explored some new locations and a few new ponies, but, well, despite being a new generation I have to compare to G4 if since the start they've been connecting to G4. And comparing to G4, it's bad. Really bad. I miss being fond in secondary characters, I miss interesting and somewhat deep worldbuilding and places to explore, I miss actually the fact that G4 had many non-protagonist ponies as toys, and start a collection of my own with my own little ponies, as I said in another thread. The show is not the only thing going down from G5, as said in previous replys here as the best word to describe, G5 is also harming the franchise as a whole, principally the toys being a collectible item about different ponies which you can tell they personalities and deeds by the mark in their flank, now we have only 5 ponies to understand that, rarely another pony let alone WITHOUT a mane 5, and Misty being a sixth mane doesn't make much difference. 
Overall, I had a huge faith in G5 to continue the MLP world and I didn't imagine it would be that bad. I still don't entirely hate it, and Hitch will always remain one of my favorite characters of MLP as a whole, but I refused to buy his brushable because I don't want to give Hasbro money. I'm a male adult, I'm not the main target they want, but I should still be seen as a customer. And as a customer I'm not satisfied with the product, both the show and the toys. So I'm not going to support it until they fix their product or move on, and since many of us discussed the possible end of G5 in 2025, I'll wait for it, and honestly, I hope it's true. I really hope G5 rest in peace soon. And next that, either Hasbro drops their biggest sucessful franchise, or try again as G4 did and build the childhood of many children and be the happiness and hobby for many adults. That's what gave them money before.

I think "Harming the entire franchise" is going a bit too far, but I understand everything else you wrote, and if TyT starts to annoy me, i'll also stop supporting G5 and Hasbro, and that's why I said, if they want G5 to be successful but it's failing, then they should take a half year break or more, stop making more TyT content, and start development for a new series with really good stories, change the visuals to make them more appealing for everyone, make a entirely new toyline and all, help this generation sell it itself, but they just refuse to do it.

either TyT is giving good profits and they don't need to do anything more, or it's something else.

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Rafa Stary said:

If you were me, you would separate the negativity from the criticism, and you too would be tired of always seeing people hating on G5 for no reason, they were trying so hard during the MyM run, I'm not saying that these fans should like MyM or G5, if they disliked it, it's fine, but what I saw was just a lot of unfair hate, haters don't care, if you want to consider the two sides as part of the same herd then it's fine, but I'm not, I'm against hate, I complain because I care, I support this generation, I pay Netflix to watch A New Generation and Make Your Mark, and I give views to the MLP channel by watching the Tell your Tale episodes, i have the right to complain if I'm not satisfied with the product, I try to be reasonable and logical here, there are things I don't understand, that's why I said that it's Hasbro fault, but I didn't say they're a bunch of incompetents, I don't know what's going on inside the company, they must have their reasons for making these decisions, I try to look through every single perspective, because my complaining also needs to be fair, that's why I said that, if focusing only in TyT is giving them more profits than when they had the 3D show, then I understand them, it was indeed the best path they could take and that I just can't do anything about it but accept, it's a show for children and if it's working for them, then there's nothing to worry about. If i try to understand even the corporate side of it, it's because I'm truly worried, the rest was all written because there's the possibility that TyT just isn't doing any good for Hasbro, if I didn't care I wouldn't have made a full section solely to talk about how this generation can be saved, I should appreaciate the new content they're delivering, but not worry about the health of the series and specially, the creative team behind it that likely isn't having enough time to actually work and deliver a good product? That's my point, but okay, I'm not going to talk about this anymore, actually as I said, it is meant to be my final post talking about this subject after all, and if I give up on this generation, I won't write another long text again, if people are happy with something and they don't want to hear my criticism towards this thing, then I'll just keep it to myself, enough is enough, it's sad because months ago I was so positive and happy about this generation, now I'll just look like another hater or someone who doesn't care about it, my very first post in this site was talking about the future of G5, because I was worried about it, but it seems that just won't matter.

well, that's how it works.

I appreciate your concern EpicEnergy, but don't worry, I've learned and I'll not be doing the same mistake that I did last year with Sonic Prime, I really wasn't enjoying that show from the beginning but I kept forcing myself to like it just because I was fan of the franchise, that made me really frustrated, that won't happen with Tell your Tale, as I said, I just keep watching it because, even though for me it's boring and not fun, I don't mind watching 5 minutes of it every 2 weeks, I'm not forcing me to watch or like it, it's not annoying for me, yet, when it starts to annoy me, I'll stop, I know that's the best I choice I can take, thanks.

The worst thing is that I didn't even have high expectations for G5, when I finished G4, I went to G5 already expecting it wouldn't be as good, so I just expected it to be fun and minimally interesting, that's enough for me, and A New Generation and MyM delivered that, they didn't disappoint me, but Tell your Tale doesn't deliver that, not for me.

I think "Harming the entire franchise" is going a bit too far, but I understand everything else you wrote, and if TyT starts to annoy me, i'll also stop supporting G5 and Hasbro, and that's why I said, if they want G5 to be successful but it's failing, then they should take a half year break or more, stop making more TyT content, and start development for a new series with really good stories, change the visuals to make them more appealing for everyone, make a entirely new toyline and all, help this generation sell it itself, but they just refuse to do it.

either TyT is giving good profits and they don't need to do anything more, or it's something else.

Brah i also bought netflix for this... What sucks is theres only season 1 of gen 4 here in the Philippines.... And gen 5? Some episodes i guess? Better to get it from youtube. 

Dang i was super hyped on gen 5 because of their movie! The song is so good the first half was fun, then the end got rushed but still!!! Potential!!!! Nnnnnnnnniiii!

10 hours ago, donutmasterjoe said:

I don't know if this was towards my comment, but I'll say here is a MLP forum for discussing about MLP that have been on air for years, thousands of threads and new members coming around from time to time. It's a place to discuss a kids show no matter what is about, so...?

If you're a fan of MLP who is keeping up with the series, would you rather come on an MLP site that is encouraging positive discussion about it or an MLP site that is constantly lambasting it? The former, because the latter would demoralize you and make you feel less inclined to talk about the series. There are plenty of G5 fans who don't want to share their thoughts on the series because of their weariness of all the negativity. What's the problem with us just having one megathread devoted to sharing our grievances? There is absolutely no need for us to keep cluttering the site with grievance threads and I don't see why the people who run this site would disagree with me here.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Misty Shadow said:

If you're a fan of MLP who is keeping up with the series, would you rather come on an MLP site that is encouraging positive discussion about it or an MLP site that is constantly lambasting it? The former, because the latter would demoralize you and make you feel less inclined to talk about the series. There are plenty of G5 fans who don't want to share their thoughts on the series because of their weariness of all the negativity. What's the problem with us just having one megathread devoted to sharing our grievances? There is absolutely no need for us to keep cluttering the site with grievance threads and I don't see why the people who run this site would disagree with me here.

None of the two actually because these two sites just don't exist, all we have is here and here, we have the three types of fans, the ones who are enjoying G5 (you), the ones who are disappointed with it (me) and the ones who are just haters (not going to mention names, but I've seen plenty here), going into the latter site would in no way demoralize me or make feel less inclined to talk about the series because I know there woud only be haters, something I'm not, I would rather encourage other MLP fans to share their actual thoughts on the show just as me, haters are just about negativity, I'm not, I'll say good things about it when I'm liking it, and criticize it when I'm not, I'm honest, I said how good Make Your Mark was, something rare to see people saying here, not only that, but I did say good things about TyT as well, how one of its episodes are one of the best things to come out from this generation, I'm disappointed but I'm also realistic and logical, and that's what I want to see everyone doing, if they dislike it, there must be at least something they like, and that's why I want to share my thoughts, actually, pardon me, but what you're doing is just discouraging me to continue sharing my thoughts on it, we need to be positive but also realistic, and the reality is that I'm just mostly disappointed than happy with it, but I wish its best because I care and want this generation to succeed, and because of this, you won't see me people like me commenting anymore, just haters or the very few people who speak well of it, criticizing is not bad a thing, it's healthy and important to have these threads because it shows how people actually care about it and want the best for it, they don't insult anyone or are rude to anyone, they are just honest, the opposite of haters and I don't see why people who run this site would disagree with me here

But if you disagree, it's fine, In the future, when TyT gets really bad, you might very well see a lot more haters than you do now, and you might miss people like me who criticized it for actually caring about it, you may actually say how disappointed you are with it and wished it was better, and guess who's doing this right now?

But as I said, enough is enough, and you said you don't want to see more of this again, I'm ending this here, feel free to reply if you want but I won't reply anymore because I can't add anything more to it and this isn't really leading anywhere, peace.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

For me, one of G5's biggest problems is that it suffers from too much oversight by Hasbro. G4 was made by DHX, a studio not directly owned by Hasbro. There have been many interviews that revealed they had quite a lot of creative control. It wasn't enough for Lauren Faust to stay on, but it was still quite a lot. Hasbro OK'd the scripts and demanded a few things from time to time (Twilight's wings, her castle, a random helicopter in a shot), but they did not control the day-to-day production, and most episodes had little involvement from them.

MYM was made by Entertainment One which was directly owned by Hasbro while it was being made. TYT is made by Hasbro Studios (under the umbrella of Entertainment One until 2023) who are obviously owned by Hasbro.

You can see how heavily Hasbro influences TYT if you look at the Brand Deck from 2023. One slide is titled: "Doubling down on core themes." What are the core themes presented? "Hair play in every ep" & "More magical moments". Many of the slides emphasize the marketability of various aspects of the show. Not a single one emphasizes quality storytelling or character building. The closest is a slide that emphasizes new narratives and exploring iconic locations/characters.

I'm not even saying I dislike G5 overall. I have mixed feelings about it. Nonetheless, its biggest problem is that it's viewed as JUST a toy commercial by Hasbro, rather than an opportunity to tell great stories that manage to sell toys because they're great. With G4, DHX brought the desire to tell great stories, while Hasbro brought the toys. Now, it's just Hasbro, so it's almost entirely commercial. There is still some creative light peeking through from the people within Hasbro's studios, particularly in MYM where Gillian Berrow had at least a fair amount of say, but overall, it's just doesn't have the freedom it needs to grow.

P.S. If you like G5, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'm happy for you. This is just my opinion. In the end we all love some aspect of MLP here. <3

Edited by Starset Twinkle
  • Brohoof 3
  • smile 1

3 hours ago, Rafa Stary said:

But if you disagree, it's fine, In the future, when TyT gets really bad, you might very well see a lot more haters than you do now, and you might miss people like me who criticized it for actually caring about it, you may actually say how disappointed you are with it and wished it was better, and guess who's doing this right now?

Regardless of whether or not TYT goes downhill, I think this series has enough haters. If I stop enjoying it, I'll simply start tuning it out. We don't know exactly how long TYT's going to last and I want to appreciate it while we have it with the new season being an improvement over the first season so far. You are right about how this conversation isn't leading anywhere though. That being an opinion I already had, I asked a site runner for their feelings on how too many threads like this being made affects the site. I'm just going to see what they decide. 

• Brohoof 2