What weird food you've tried in your life? (Any food that involves eating animals [meat] should be put with a warning beforehand)

Slappy Bird

(edited)

So what weird food you pony have tried in your life, and did you enjoy it? Is it something you ate often afterwards or only once (whether or not you liked it)?

Again, ANY EXAMPLE(S) THAT INVOLVES ANIMALS [MEAT] SHOULD BE PUT WITH A WARNING BEFOREHAND. So that anyone lurking here won't be queasy from hearing weird animal food.

Also, please be considerate with the culture that eats them, there's western food that other culture considered weird as well.

For me: I understand that people considers durian weird because of it's smell, however I don't see it. I never smell anything from durian, even if I tried to smell something from it. I actually eat them every once in while since I'm Vietnamese (even if I currently live in the USA), so it's considered normal in my culture.

Edited by Slappy Bird

Some candies with licorice. I know it's not that weird, but what's weird about it is that I really like them, but pretty much everyone I know absolutely hates them almost to the point of puking. The only reason I got to eat those candies is because people would sometimes bring them from abroad as a prank ("hey, I got something from country X, do you want to try it?"). Everyone's surprised that I like them and usually think that I'm just pretending. 

In general, I am a picky eater, so I won't try some weird food (or even non-weird food). 

17 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

Some candies with licorice. I know it's not that weird, but what's weird about it is that I really like them, but pretty much everyone I know absolutely hates them almost to the point of puking. The only reason I got to eat those candies is because people would sometimes bring them from abroad as a prank ("hey, I got something from country X, do you want to try it?"). Everyone's surprised that I like them and usually think that I'm just pretending. 

In general, I am a picky eater, so I won't try some weird food (or even non-weird food). 

I actually like licorice as well, in fact, I even like black licorice; the weird sting in the mouth is enjoyable to me. Plus, since people don't like black licorice, any event/gathering that includes black licorice mean there's more for me

12 hours ago, Slappy Bird said:

I actually like licorice as well, in fact, I even like black licorice

There are other types than black? Though I don't know what type I had because I always got the candies without the box. The candies were dark in color though.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Pentium100 said:

There are other types than black? Though I don't know what type I had because I always got the candies without the box. The candies were dark in color though.

I've look it up: turns out the red licorice I'm thinking doesn't actually contain licorice despite it's name. In fact, I don't know anything about licorice roots that is used in black licorice until now.

• Shocked 1

I’ve not really ate a lot of weird foods honestly. But recently I had some Gulab Jamun, which is an Indian dessert, the ones I had tasted kinda like muffins or pancakes. They were good! I wouldn’t call them weird personally, definitely uncommon in the states, though.

• Brohoof 1

On 2024-07-09 at 12:20 AM, Iforgotmybrain said:

I wouldn’t call them weird personally, definitely uncommon in the states, though.

To be fair: there's food that's considered weird even WITHIN the origin country

• Brohoof 1

On 2024-07-04 at 9:26 PM, Slappy Bird said:

For me: I understand that people considers durian weird because of it's smell, however I don't see it. I never smell anything from durian, even if I tried to smell something from it. I actually eat them every once in while since I'm Vietnamese (even if I currently live in the USA), so it's considered normal in my culture.

I wish I could try durian. Everything I've heard about it makes it sound horrible but I'm curious. But it's impossible to find here.

On 2024-07-07 at 12:37 PM, Slappy Bird said:

I've look it up: turns out the red licorice I'm thinking doesn't actually contain licorice despite it's name. In fact, I don't know anything about licorice roots that is used in black licorice until now.

I never thought about that before. Red licorice isn't really licorice. :Sunny-huh:

Meat:

Spoiler

I've eaten alligator, didn't taste like much really.

Toasted ants. Gross, don't taste good and little legs get stuck between your teeth.

Last year I gathered some of the many acorns around here and made flour out of them like Native Americans did for centuries. then made cookies and pancakes out of it. It was a lot of work for a little flour but the food was good.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Meat:

Reveal hidden contents

I've eaten alligator, didn't taste like much really.

Toasted ants. Gross, don't taste good and little legs get stuck between your teeth.

I'm wondering: what country or culture ate those?

Last year I gathered some of the many acorns around here and made flour out of them like Native Americans did for centuries. then made cookies and pancakes out of it. It was a lot of work for a little flour but the food was good.

Kind of not surprise since if almond flour exist, then acorn flour can exist as well

Edited by Slappy Bird
  • Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Slappy Bird said:

I'm wondering: what country or culture ate those?

Kind of not surprise since if almond flour exist, then acorn flour can exist as well

I think alligator is just a novelty in the U.S. Lots of cultures eat bugs for protein if they have to.

The real pain in the butt with acorns is you have to boil the tannin out of them or it's really bitter. With almonds I assume they just grind them.

• Brohoof 1

*Meat warning*

I’ve eaten tripe, which is very popular in some parts of the world, but honestly it was pretty awful and I won’t be returning to the buffet for a second helping of stomach lining.

Escargot, despite being snails, is pretty good. It may vary depending on how it’s prepared. But I liked what I had, served at the France pavilion at Epcot.

Czarnina (duck blood soup) is a Polish recipe. And being Polish myself, it was inevitable I'd have to try it one day. That day came and I was unimpressed. It just wasn’t right somehow. It’s made in different ways, either spicy and sweet, and I had the spicy, but it isn’t a favorite.

Caviar is good. I was surprised how much I liked it. It was salty and went well on a cracker.

I had what I strongly suspect was a horse meat hamburger at a restaurant in Lost Hills, CA. It definitely didn’t taste like beef, and my parents, who had both eaten horse meat burgers when they were younger (at a fast food restaurant, and it was no big deal apparently), said it was Horse. Personally I liked it and would happily have another. (Sorry ponies!)

I had a box of toasted crickets at an airport once. I was starting a vacation and wanted to kick-start my adventure with some adventurous eating. I bought a box of bacon cheddar crickets and munched them down. They weren’t bad actually; just a bit dry and crunchy. Next time I’ll try the sour cream and onion variety.

• smile 2
  • Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

*Meat warning*

I’ve eaten tripe, which is very popular in some parts of the world, but honestly it was pretty awful and I won’t be returning to the buffet for a second helping of stomach lining.

Escargot, despite being snails, is pretty good. It may vary depending on how it’s prepared. But I liked what I had, served at the France pavilion at Epcot.

Czarnina (duck blood soup) is a Polish recipe. And being Polish myself, it was inevitable I'd have to try it one day. That day came and I was unimpressed. It just wasn’t right somehow. It’s made in different ways, either spicy and sweet, and I had the spicy, but it isn’t a favorite.

Caviar is good. I was surprised how much I liked it. It was salty and went well on a cracker.

I had what I strongly suspect was a horse meat hamburger at a restaurant in Lost Hills, CA. It definitely didn’t taste like beef, and my parents, who had both eaten horse meat burgers when they were younger (at a fast food restaurant, and it was no big deal apparently), said it was Horse. Personally I liked it and would happily have another. (Sorry ponies!)

I had a box of toasted crickets at an airport once. I was starting a vacation and wanted to kick-start my adventure with some adventurous eating. I bought a box of bacon cheddar crickets and munched them down. They weren’t bad actually; just a bit dry and crunchy. Next time I’ll try the sour cream and onion variety.

I tried making tripe once out of curiousity. All the recipes said to boil it for two hours. It was like rubber. I litrerally could not bite a piece off. :Posey-grimace:

Tried escargot. It swas just really salty and not good.

Caviar, meh, I got some cheap stuff and it was nothing special.

I'd probably try bacon cheddar crickets,

I doubt most people have tried anchovies on their pizza. It was like pure salt with a little bit of fish flavor. :scoots:

• Delighted Giggle 1

I... just don't know what's weird, because it's different depending on the culture. I tasted a lot of things and I only have one rule: I don't eat animals when they're alive

I want to taste Durian so much.... But it's really, REALLY expensive. Like almost 100 dollars.

*MEAT WARNING*

Some things maybe you think are weird but I don't.

Horse meat is the best meat and here in Spain it's traditional to eat Horse meat when you're sick.

Rabbit, delicious and common.

Snails. Meh. 

Wild Boar cooked in a Copper pot... Excellent.

Calçots "Sweet Long Onions".

Bull's Tail with Black Wine. 

Frog fingers: delicious, but tastes like some kind of bird.

Some things you and I think are weird.

Bondaegui: Korean Silk worm Pupa's. As usual, I don't find bugs very tasty.

Jellyfish: Tasteless... 

Alligator: Taste just like Chicken.

Snake: Same as alligator

Zebra: Tastes Like a mix between Horse and Wild Boar.

Fugu: Venomous Pufferfish... Sorry Japan: I think eating that is just stupid... Very expensive and tasteless and also, dangerous...

Stevia: An old man gave me Stevia leaves and I was amazed how sweet was. The most close to eat a drug Iv'e been in my life (except, caffeine and alcohol of course).

Octopus fried Semen: Meh... 

• Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1
  • smile 1
  • Party! 1

2 hours ago, Arrlong28 said:

*MEAT WARNING*

Some things maybe you think are weird but I don't.

Bull's Tail with Black Wine.

Gosh you unlocked my memory of a different drink in South-East Asia

*NOT ANIMAL MEAT, BUT CAN STILL MAKE YOU QUEASY*

I remember consuming this canned drink when I was a kid called Nouc Yen. It wasn't until I was a teenager (and stopped drinking it) that I realize it's edible bird nest, aka, bird saliva. I don't know it's just contain bird saliva, or made only of bird saliva.

• Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 3

14 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

I tried making tripe once out of curiousity. All the recipes said to boil it for two hours. It was like rubber. I litrerally could not bite a piece off. :Posey-grimace:

Tried escargot. It swas just really salty and not good.

Caviar, meh, I got some cheap stuff and it was nothing special.

I'd probably try bacon cheddar crickets,

I doubt most people have tried anchovies on their pizza. It was like pure salt with a little bit of fish flavor. :scoots:

Tripe always tastes the same no matter how long it's boiled, at least in my experience. There's only so much that can be done with tripe. Yecch!

Escargot may be subject to individual preparation. Some may be better than others. I've only had it once and it was very nicedly done.

Anchovies are great on pizza! I love 'em!! 

• Brohoof 1

On 2024-07-20 at 7:37 PM, Slappy Bird said:

I've always wanted to try them, but don't know any place that serves them.
I'm assuming they taste salty

I think Papa John's still serves them, but I'm not sure it applies to all their outlets. And like @Fluttershutter you can get them at the store and put on frozen pizza (or even take-out pizza if you have it). And yes, they're nice and salty. YUM!

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1