Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Silverwisp draws stuff (feat. the forums biggest art dump of armoured ponies)

Silverwisp the Bard

Dat Shield guy with thunder
I got inspired after going to the movies :wub: . Currrently debating whether to make the Equestrian ships Greek...

How long does one typically take you?

Depends largely on how much I'm enjoying myself. Atra and Shimmer  (the mares in the cloaks) took me maybe twenty minutes, Grogar was about an hour, due to figuring out his horns and watching Kill la Kill on the side.

Für die Imperatorin!

post-3492-0-35412500-1397056070_thumb.jpg

Didn't quite catch that. What exactly happened?

I`ve been drawing ships for three days now, trying to come up with a good design. So to get some change of pace, I came up with a pony fighting not for Equestria, but Grogar (the ram above, a G1 villain). Mostly because I wanted to draw a pony with a horned helmet.

• Brohoof 1

And her it is: the first of my ships:

post-3492-0-46028700-1397599756_thumb.jpg

After much consideration  (I really like the look of triremes) I eventually decided against a Greek look, since ponies aren't exactly equipped to use oars without being chained to them. Also, Pegasi  (who would bring the quasi greeek influence) really have no need for ships, since they could just use clouds to cross long distances over water.

ANyways, I'll follow up with some smaller ships, probably a trade freighter or something.

Still need to think of something to put on the sails and flags....

@@Silverwisp the Bard,Aaah that's nice. I mean i like it! Dark Armor and stuff! You should do stuff like that with Sombra! Or Queen Chrysalis! Or even maybe Sunset Shimmer and Discord?

I might do some underlings for Sombra: Dark Crystal guard, golems, bound Windigos; that sort of thing.

And here's the next entry in my villain series:

post-3492-0-26738300-1397726979_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Haven't gotten to do much drawing lately, so I'll just dump some lineart for one of my recent pieces:

post-3492-0-38912100-1399148461_thumb.jpg

Still more historically accurate than 300....

Also, I've been trying to come up with a new design for grown Spike:

post-3492-0-23333700-1399148536_thumb.jpg

Pretty satisfied with the muzzle. Still nott 100% set on the body.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I just realized that I have never commented in your art thread, not even once!  Well, I will have to remedy this grave error of mine posthaste!

I can understand the feeling of not getting much work done recently, but what you have thus far is quite nice and it is always a delight to see more of your work.  The two battling griffins with the action poses being nicely done.  The only thing that seems amiss is part of the background (primarily on the left side), as it is more in the foreground it seems and may look more natural with a bolder outline as you used for the characters.  Perhaps even experiment a little with different line densities to really make everything pop.

The Spike sketches are also a treat and I feel the front view of his head is done especially well.  For some reason, perhaps the drastic foreshortening involved,  but I cannot draw a front shot to save my life.  My only suggestion would pertain to the one where you have Spike lying down, as the body seems slightly too short when compared to the length of the neck.  

Hopefully all of this did not come off as unnecessary nitpicking, but do keep up the good work and I hope to see more soon!

Edited by SkyBound
  • Brohoof 2

post-3492-0-60592000-1399152511_thumb.jpg

Se- Senpai noticed me. :o

Hopefully all of this did not come off as unnecessary nitpicking

Ha, in your experience, what's easier to come by on the internet: praise or helpful criticism?

Agreed on both points, I think I'll revisit the griffon piece (I'm in dire need of environment practice).

As I said, Spike's design is pretty much WIP, so I'll just keep what you said in mind when figuring out the exact proportions in the future.

Thanks for commenting

• Brohoof 1

brilliant as always ^_^  you should invest in some really fine-point mechanical drafting pencils--i think youd like them and youd get crisper lines with the level of detail you do, plus a kneadable eraser if you havent gotten one yet. theyre also nice for tight spots :)

• 1 month later...

Soo, haven't been around here for a while.

Mostly due to a ton of RL troubles: relationship, family, monetary, the whole palette.

Anyway, things have settled down and I'll hopefully have some more time to draw ponies...

Starting off with a ponified Soulcatcher, a villain from my favourite low fantasy book:
post-3492-0-48643900-1407094918_thumb.jpg

brilliant as always ^_^ you should invest in some really fine-point mechanical drafting pencils--i think youd like them and youd get crisper lines with the level of detail you do, plus a kneadable eraser if you havent gotten one yet. theyre also nice for tight spots :)
I actually use a mechanical pencil for my starting off my sketches. but I find that I prefer thicker outlines for my art, so I usually end up going over it agaiun with a regular pencil.

I'll look into the kneadable eraser though.

• Brohoof 5