Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Grammar question - quoting

Hat988

Whenever I search for this, I get a whole bunch of links to do with what famous people have to say about grammar.

A character is reading a book in my story and I want to show some of the lines to the reader.

Do I put those lines in italics? Do I need to cite the source if its is clearly three lines of Shakespeare?

Thanks.

Whenever I search for this, I get a whole bunch of links to do with what famous people have to say about grammar.

A character is reading a book in my story and I want to show some of the lines to the reader.

Do I put those lines in italics? Do I need to cite the source if its is clearly three lines of Shakespeare?

Thanks.

This really depends how you want to present it. If you want to have the character read it aloud, then you'd just quote it as normal speech. For three lines, at least in academic papers, the quote is usually thrown into quote marks with lines separated by slashes. Quote within quote rules could apply depending on how you set it up.

Wing said, "Hat988 said, 'Help me with quotes!'"

It may just be best to post it how you want it and work from there. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Thanks. I'm sure it is clear enough but I don't want to pull the people who are more strict on things like this out of the story. In fact, I'm not sure about the whole passage's grammar.

He rechecked the cover. ‘Shakesmaere.’ Frowning disapprovingly, he flipped forward a few pages.

And in this state she gallops night by night

Through lovers' brains, and then they dream of love

He stared at a Bunsen burner across the room. ‘Love’ must be a base chunk, its meaning morphed by additional symbols – here, these ponies must be bringers of love.

O calm, dishonourable, vile submission!

Honour . ‘Dis’, meaning the absence of. ‘Able…’ the lack of the ability to practice honour. Dishonourable. He read on.

Edited by Hat988

(edited)

"Qbert said that John told me 'Watch your feet, Frodo Baggins, or else you'll never know where you'll be swept off to.' Kind of a weird thing to say," continued Keith. "I have no idea what I just said."

"You're weird, sir." said Marcy.

"But I want to be loud and triumphant!" exclaimed Throthgar.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1