Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hair Loss after dyeing, holy crap people!

Hazardus_Havard.

My niece was dyeing her hair today, as she does every month or two. I've warned her excessive dyeing will hurt her hair in the long run.

Well, she just got a crash course on stupidity tonight.

Apparently, she decided to not only dye her hair black, but then BLEACH the other side having the two jobs which were back to back done and they would meet in the middle.

She goes to brush it and now it's falling out in clumps. She's been crying for the past two hours now.

I've found reasons online for this, a major one being you shouldn't dye then bleach since it could make your hair fall out as it is exactly being described here, in clumps and strands where the two met. Other reasons are that she is not getting enough protein in her diet (she literally only eats sugar and dinner with sugar on top) and too many dye jobs could damage it, though I find the last one hurts in the long run.

Any advice people on how this could happen as well?

Anyone else have this problem?

Edited by Hazardus_Havard

Well, I've never had my hair fall out... I dye it every so often, maybe once every 3-4 months on average? Since I've got really dark hair I usually have to bleach it several times, which I know is very bad for your hair, but I've yet to have it fall out.

Honestly, I would say it's the utter lack of protein in her diet. I work out quite a bit, so I intake about 150 grams of protein a day, and I use some shampoos and conditioners that are advertised as "keeping colored hair healthy and blah blah". I don't know if it really works, but like I said, none of my hair has fallen out!

Maybe talk to your niece about why this happened, and how to avoid it, (better diet, less dying, etc)

Well, I've never had my hair fall out... I dye it every so often, maybe once every 3-4 months on average? Since I've got really dark hair I usually have to bleach it several times, which I know is very bad for your hair, but I've yet to have it fall out.

Honestly, I would say it's the utter lack of protein in her diet. I work out quite a bit, so I intake about 150 grams of protein a day, and I use some shampoos and conditioners that are advertised as "keeping colored hair healthy and blah blah". I don't know if it really works, but like I said, none of my hair has fallen out!

Maybe talk to your niece about why this happened, and how to avoid it, (better diet, less dying, etc)

Yeeeeaaaahhhh....I was told not to by her father (my older brother/roomate/dick) Apparently, he said I have a tendency to "drag on" conversations with too much information...

So in a sense he said she doesn't want her getting too worked up even more with this info so I"m to keep quiet. I'll probably tell her in the morning.

And yeah, I agree on the protein and hair stuff, she doesn't eat well, literally no exercise and uses really cheap shampoo, rarely conditioners.

Well, crap. I feel for your niece, as it doesn't sound like her dad/your brother isn't doing much to take care of her. How old is your niece?

just give her a reality check on her current health standards and im sure she will comply if it means getting her hair to stay put.

She just turned 13 a bit ago. She literally had a spaz attack (that's me being nice saying that) as she stared at her hairbrush covered in bleached clumps of her hair. I'm going to tell her about the bleach combining with dye being part of the problem, but going to emphasis the health bit more heavily; she could really do with better eating standards amongst other things.

Oh, her dad is supposed to be at work around 4:30 in the morning so it's a bit understandable he didn't want to deal with it, but still pretty messed up he didn't say much other than "take a shower".....

Or tell her to eat regularly. I'd go into a rant about parenting in America, but that'd be a. horribly off-topic, and b. probably offend some people somewhere. ><

Not gonna affect me one bit and people can have their opinions so long as it doesn't actually attack any person that would be damaging on said person in any form.

I find it hard living with these people.......

• Brohoof 1

Not gonna affect me one bit and people can have their opinions so long as it doesn't actually attack any person that would be damaging on said person in any form.

I find it hard living with these people.......

Can't say I blame you. It sounds like it's not that great of a place to be. Wish I could give some advice beyond "move out" but...

Can't say I blame you. It sounds like it's not that great of a place to be. Wish I could give some advice beyond "move out" but...

I would have moved out the second I could. My niece is the devils daughter, and my brother is of course the devil himself. Sadly cannot do anything since I am doing college and cannot leave for fear that my tuition will be cut if I leave now.

Still feel bad for her about the hair problem though...she's still crying.

I would have moved out the second I could. My niece is the devils daughter, and my brother is of course the devil himself. Sadly cannot do anything since I am doing college and cannot leave for fear that my tuition will be cut if I leave now.

Still feel bad for her about the hair problem though...she's still crying.

Ah, sounds eerily similar to my situation. I guess your only option is to just be the best uncle you can. Is your niece a brat or is she well-behaved? (Sorry if these are too personal, if they are, just tell me and I'll shut up)

Ah, sounds eerily similar to my situation. I guess your only option is to just be the best uncle you can. Is your niece a brat or is she well-behaved? (Sorry if these are too personal, if they are, just tell me and I'll shut up)

No, these don't really sound at all personal to me. She's a horribly spoiled brat, not well behaved at all.

Whenever doing anything to your hair you should always wait AT LEAST 24 hours between actions. So if you bleach it, wait at least 24 hours before dying.

Did she do this herself? 13 is a bit young to be bleaching her own hair. That stuff is dangerous and just leaving it on too long can cause these kind of results. Heck, I'm way older than that and I always have someone else do it for me just to be sure everything is even and gets rinsed properly.

I guess all that can be done now is she'll have to find a good hat, scarf, or bandanna to wear until it grows back. She'll probably be crying about it for a while. I'm sure she feels like she's gone and disfigured herself.

I used to have this lime streak in my hair, but my friend overdyed it, and it started falling out. Well, I never got a dye from her again!

All I can say is, eats lotsa protein.

Whenever doing anything to your hair you should always wait AT LEAST 24 hours between actions. So if you bleach it, wait at least 24 hours before dying.

Did she do this herself? 13 is a bit young to be bleaching her own hair. That stuff is dangerous and just leaving it on too long can cause these kind of results. Heck, I'm way older than that and I always have someone else do it for me just to be sure everything is even and gets rinsed properly.

I guess all that can be done now is she'll have to find a good hat, scarf, or bandanna to wear until it grows back. She'll probably be crying about it for a while. I'm sure she feels like she's gone and disfigured herself.

Luckily her father got her to go into the shower last night and she sat under it for half an hour. It got any dyes and the bleach out of it and she only lost a little hair near the middle of her head so we're all good there.

....stupidly her father is allowing her to continue dying her tips so I have no idea how THAT'S gonna turn out.

Well, you really just figured out the cause and unless she's absorbing tons of radioactivity then it's the bleach.

Really the only thing you can do is let it grow back naturally.