Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Public Service Announcement - Don't Hit Trees

Creamy Arty

I was heading to my nearest Toys R' Us location yesterday to see about buying the Favorites Collection. They didn't have it yet and I'm going to check back on Wednesday when a truck is supposed to come in.

About two minutes down the road after leaving my driveway, I observe a young lady (about 17) taking a somewhat sharp left curve quite quickly in the pouring rain. She slides completely off the road and hits a tree sidelong. I stopped immediately and went to her car, helping her climb out as it was leaning sharply to the right due to it being on a hill (and she was hysterical), but the airbag deployed and she was uninjured.

This situation brought to mind four people I knew from high school who were killed in separate wrecks for driving carelessly or while exhausted. So chill out. Drive sensibly. Adjust your speed according to the weather and take your time. I'd hate to see a post about somebody here getting themselves killed like that.

This has been a PSA from the I'm Late For Work Every Day Because Of A Wreck On I95 Association, LLC.

• Brohoof 8

Can't hit trees? Notch is a dissapoint.

lol I can't make me a workbench if i can't hit no trees! :P haha.

But in all seriousness u are right. Drive responsibly kids!

(even though i can't even drive yet =/ )

Recklessness is pretty serious when it comes to anything, not just driving.

A few months back, I was riding my bicycle down the usual route I'd take to college. From the countless times I'd gone down this certain path, I knew that it was nearly always empty.

There were warning signs around telling riders to dismount from their bikes before getting to the blind corner, but being the smartass I was, I chose to ignore this warning,

I slowed down enough so that if something did happen, it wouldn't cause much of a problem.

Instead of the nothingness I expected being around this corner, there was another cyclist turning the same corner and we were about to crash.

Thankfully we both hit our brakes at the right time and nobody was injured, but it could've very easily been a different story.

Thank God the lady turned out okay. Especially consider how many others aren't so lucky, like the school people you mentioned. I'm of driving age but am only going to start in a few weeks time, and in a way my hesitance compared to others is a good thing since with hesitance comes carefulness.

From what i hear of American driving tests and what i have seen on programs, i am under the impression that they are not too intensive?

In the UK our test consists of two tests; A theory test, in which you must answer question about road signs etc (i haven't taken it myself) and i believe you need 95% to pass. And a practical test in which you are made to drive out on the roads with an instructor (who only tells you which way to go) in which if you commit any major offences (anything dangerous like pulling out without looking) or 3 minor offences (speeding, going too slow, not indicating etc) you fail.

I myself ride a motorbike and i happen to live in the county with the most deaths/crashes per year, i'm the only person who i know (that drives) who is yet to crash, despite being the one who speeds the most often (i spend more time over the speed limit than at it), i guess i am just lucky when it comes to driving.

(even though i can't even drive yet =/)

You'll be elated when you're finally able to drive and you'll want to drive everywhere. Eventually - maybe after the first year - you'll find that when you're going somewhere with your friends or family you'd rather one of them drive instead.

From what i hear of American driving tests and what i have seen on programs, i am under the impression that they are not too intensive?

In the UK our test consists of two tests; A theory test, in which you must answer question about road signs etc (i haven't taken it myself) and i believe you need 95% to pass. And a practical test in which you are made to drive out on the roads with an instructor (who only tells you which way to go) in which if you commit any major offences (anything dangerous like pulling out without looking) or 3 minor offences (speeding, going too slow, not indicating etc) you fail.

Going by what I've heard from the majority of UK residents I've known on the internet and half of those I've met in person, and several pieces in British news media, probably anything about America that isn't done exactly like they would do it will be lambasted or blown out of proportion. So take any of what you hear with a grain of salt, at least.

It varies from state to state. Can't remember which one it was, but I remember reading the requirements for a state to the north of where I'm at: there were almost no requirements. Ridiculous, in my opinion. Here in Virginia the test is much as you described. One must also complete an accredited driving class. According to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles:

The program must present 36 classroom periods, including components about alcohol safety, drug abuse awareness, aggressive driving, distracted driving, pedestrian and bicycle safety, handicapped parking, fuel-efficient driving practices, motorcycle awareness, and organ and tissue donation awareness. The program must also include 14 in-car instruction periods - 7 periods of driving and 7 periods of observation.

One must also have 45 hours behind the wheel with a parent, 15 of which were done at night.

My experiences driving throughout Virginia haven't been too bad overall, but our drivers are definitely dumber than many other states I've passed through. The worst part of the state is the Richmond area. You get to Richmond and you'll see stupidity beyond your imagination. Every day when I drive to work I contend with the most inconsiderate people ever to live. The problem with the now deceased people I mentioned was that they had only been driving for a year at the most (with the exception of one) with almost all of their experience being in slow, rural areas, and they were either overconfident or nearly asleep. Get people like that out in bumper-to-bumper traffic in the city and trying to drive like they're back home and they're in for some trouble. And out where I used to live people were always hitting deer. One guy even hit a cow that got loose one night, but he wasn't hurt... and neither was the cow.