Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike the Dragon

SpikeyWikey07

I too love Spike, especially since I like how he's the one boy character mixed up with all the girls. He's basically the tiny mix of testosterone in the pool of estrogen for us boys to enjoy. :P

I'd personally love to see his origins, especially if he is actually some kind of special magical dragon chosen by Celestia. We've seen that he can go from a baby to a full-grown monster and back in literally the blink of an eye, so I'd agree that emotions have a large part of what he'll ultimately grow into. I'm hoping that he'll only look like the giant version of himself when he's overcome with greed and if he falls in love or something he'll turn into the noble, humanoid version of himself seen in his fantasies. This way he'll not only be grown up and look cool, but also be able to live with his pony friends happily. :D

Edited by Demi
  • Brohoof 1

What to think about Spike. Well for starters I don't really know. He's a great character and all...but, some things bug me. For starters, they have entire episode dedicated to the little guy, but is he a main character? Or is he supposed to be just a sidelines kind of guy used only when they run out of ideas? I haven't really seen the other generations of him...which means that here in a second imma be googlin the tar out of him. Also, Lauren Faust did do a good job portraying him. Or at least I believe she did.

Edited by LoveTheHate

• 4 months later...

I find spike to be an incredibly underrated character. Come to think, he may very well be my favourite character in the show, and it's not because of any gender or species preferences I have, but I just find something very enjoyable and special about spike's personality that really make me care for him. Yes, he may be the only main male character in a group of mainly female characters, but in some ways, I think it might be an advantage to his character. When we look at things, Spike really is the only main character that allows the other main ponies to interact with a male character. For the majority of the time, outside of Spike, we rarely see the other ponies have too much interaction with male characters, or at least not to the loving and strong-bonding extent of Spike that is. The other ponies are all clearly very fond of him and value him as a close friend. Twilights surrogate mother relationship with spike is probably one of the most touching relationships in the show. Spike strives to please her and get her approval by being her assistant and one of her oldest friends, but he also doesn't just do anything Twilight says, and he can disagree with her, but that's why he's there, to bring Twilight back to reality when she needs to be brought back, and to give her genuine helpful advice.

Spike is also just one of the most comical characters as well, and his boyish nature does stop the show form becoming too cheesy at times. But spike also isn't generic. He tries to act very boyish, but deep down, he loves wearing aprons and spending time with his pony friends (something that he learnt to embrace and be proud of in "Dagon Quest"). He is also in fact rather intelligent, with his witty and sarcastic funny comments he frequently makes, but what's more comical is that he doesn't even realise most of the time how intelligent he actually is. 

His lack of understanding in certain areas allow the other ponies to explain things to him for the benefit of the audience, and the fact that he's a dragon gives him plenty of potential for episodes revolving around him and the qualities of dragon life. His nature also makes him the perfect candidate for certain morals, including the moral of greed (using the dragon growth cycle as a cool way to show this), the moral of jealousy (serving twilight was obviously a huge part of spike's life, and when he saw the potential of losing that occupation with owlicious, we could then relate to him at what he could potentially lose), and the moral of embracing who you are not what you are (not being pushed around by others just because you rebel the stereotype of your gender or species, thus why spike was happy to enjoy his life with his pony friends and not care about being a typical dragon).

Of course let us not forget his romance with Rarity (one of the best aspects of the show in my opinion), that provides with a really nice touching and cute quality that we don't really get anywhere else on the show, and I hope to see it develop more in the future :)

Overall, Spike is a wonderful character and is very much underrated and overlooked (even "The Best night ever" showed how easy it was for Spike to be ignored, even if he was right all along). Got to love that little dragon :D

• Brohoof 3

Overall, Spike is a wonderful character and is very much underrated and overlooked (even "The Best night ever" showed how easy it was for Spike to be ignored, even if he was right all along). Got to love that little dragon

Been a while since I've been on this particular post I made for good ol' Spike.

That episode really did show how much he was ignored, but you feel sorry for him. I've been working on a picture of my own of my fursona with him, trying to cope with him. Spike, within that moment, relates to me when I was younger in education. I had no friends, even though Spike did, but I was ignored for my interests as if they were juvenile for that time. Meh...   Just seeing Spike brings up a fair amount of comparisons of what I have experienced within my younger years, and even nowadays.

• Brohoof 1

I think there is something about spike that we can all relate to :)
When I myself was in my younger years, I found to have better company in girls rather than boys (though even then I didn't really have many friends), and I think "Dragon Quest" especially highlighted that quality of spike. While in context of the episode, it was clear that spike learns that it's fine to embrace who you are, and rather have good kind-hearted pony friends then the ruthless nature of his fellow dragons, but I think the subtle implied message for the audience was that it's fine to embrace your friendship, whether your a boy who prefers female friends, or a girl who prefers male friends. It's that innocence in spike that makes him love-able, as well as his sensitivity, and how much he can over-react if his friends are in danger.

I really hope we get more spike episodes in future, because he has so much potential for episodes, whether that be working on his relationship with Rarity, learning more about Dragon anatomy, spike becoming angry that a lot of the time he isn't invited to parties or events (seriously, why isn't spike invited to the crystal empire despite saving it? (though we might find out next episode), and where was he at Twilights birthday in "sweet and Elite"?), or even an episode where for once, spike has to take gull responsibility for saving his friends from danger. We've seen in the past that while spike can be easily scared, his strength and courage does seem to increase whenever he is fighting for his friends as seen in "a dog and pony show" and a bit in "Dragon Quest" :D

Spike was in between a background character and one of the main characters in the show before, but since season 3 has given him quite a lot of screen time I think I can agree that he's more of a main character now xP I'm really thinking what Spike would be like when everyone grows up since dragons have an incredible life span compared to ponies, it'll be just heart-dropping when spike is left out because the mane 6 have peacefully passed away from age.

• Brohoof 1

Spike was in between a background character and one of the main characters in the show before, but since season 3 has given him quite a lot of screen time I think I can agree that he's more of a main character now xP I'm really thinking what Spike would be like when everyone grows up since dragons have an incredible life span compared to ponies, it'll be just heart-dropping when spike is left out because the mane 6 have peacefully passed away from age.

I've been working on some pictures for Spike for when he ages, but from what you mentioned I just might use that information about the Mane 6 passing on. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't get the hate Spike receives. He's not one of the Mane 6, and as of such is allowed to be out-of-character at times (some people really dislike that). 

Also, his out-of-character antics are usually really funny,and perfect in the absence of the funnier Mane 6 characters, like Pinkie, Fluttershy and Rarity.

Even then he works really well with them.

• Brohoof 1