Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Love and Tolerance

King Tryndamere

I've heard that L+T has become a bit of a joke lately. Here's my opinion on it. As we all know, L+T is a value held by almost all the characters on the show. Do I think everypony should have to follow those values to be a fan of the show? No. Do I think they're good values to follow anyway (whether one is a fan of the show or not)? Yes. But L+T is not something to be crammed down people's throats. Do Star Wars fans tell each other to follow the ways of the force? Possibly at conventions, but I don't see people saying "take care not to fall to the dark side" on Star Wars videos.

tl;dr There's nothing wrong with L+T, but to each their own.

• Brohoof 3

The flaw with your Star Wars example is that "take care not to fall to the dark side" makes no sense to anyone who has never heard of Star Wars while "Love and tolerate" does. Plus Star Wars has been popularized the same way, albeit to a lesser degree, "nerd" has. As a result, one is more likely to take anything related to the dark side or Star Wars as a joke.

Edited by Bohtty
  • Brohoof 1

No, Love and Tolerance hasn't become a joke, it originated as a joke on 4chan for countertrolling the trolls. After time it became something of a "motto" for some bronies, but often they are just hypocraites because they don't follow it. For example: If someone doesn't like MLD they call that person a hater and stuff like that.

But I agree with what you say, we should strive to live by it, but of course this isn't always possible

It's become a joke to me. It's used so often, spouted by so many bronies in every situation possible, that it's lost most of its meaning, to me at least. It started as the brony policy on dealing with trolls on 4chan; simply "love and tolerate" them and they'll get bored and go away. It worked to some degree. But now, anytime anybody does anything wrong to anyone, we have legions of bronies going 'OH MY GOD LOVE AND TOLERATE GUYS DONT HATE LOVE AND TOLERATE", and frankly, it's annoying as hell.

Now, love and toleration are good concepts and I think we should all try to live them, but as a phrase, "love and tolerate" is simply annoying, overused, and meaningless.

Edited by Evilshy
  • Brohoof 1

I don't get too worked up about it. I largely adhered to principles of love and tolerate long before this My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic jazz came 'round.

I just think it's an all-around good policy to have when interacting with your fellow man. Practice L & T if you chose, just don't be militant about it, and if it doesn't suit you then it doesn't - everybody wins.

Love and Tolerance was originally a joke on 4chan which evolved into a flame warring strategy. The strategy is that love is the sword; rather than using actual insults, act sickeningly loving to annoy your opponent. Tolerance is the shield; simply ignore everything your opponent says, and continue talking to them pseudo-lovingly. I personally don't follow love and tolerance; it's not that I spread hate and intolerance, it's just that some people I simply can't love, and some people I simply can't tolerate. I prefer to follow the code of common decency; just because I don't like someone or won't take what they're doing doesn't mean I have to be a prick. I just calmly and politely dismantle their argument with cold hard logic, and everyone gets to see how stupid they are without me hurling so much as a single fruitless insult, and therefore I am neither letting the person continue what they're doing nor feeding the parasprite.

• Brohoof 1

Every nation needs a motto. I'd like to see us as a nation solely existing on the internet with some parts touching the real world. In America, we don't go around shouting "In God We Trust", right? We should follow the phrase as a guide to better ourselves, but we shouldn't go around screaming it into people's faces. You don't need to follow it, but you should respect the people who do.

• Brohoof 1

Eventually, people ruin meanings for other people just because they don't understand the culture and therefore their arrogance/ignorance gets in the way of the positive meaning a statement tries to offer.

Personally, I just find L+T as traits that you should use everyday, not because you're associated with the Brony culture, but just because you're a human being and you should treat others with respect. Kind of hard when the world is as cruel as it is today, but you should still have some sort of decency in you to follow.

• Brohoof 2

I have to agree, the ideals of "Love and Tolerate" are great ones to live by. But some people are being a bit to zealous about it.

@Evilshy does make a good point, that some people overuse it and don't really pay attention to what the phrase means.

Personally, I just find L+T as traits that you should use everyday, not because you're associated with the Brony culture, but just because you're a human being and you should treat others with respect.

Eloquently said.

I follow the motto and take it pretty seriously, I think that we all should follow it, but I'm not for Fire and Sword missionary ways.

This. I personally don't use love to annoy people or use tolerance as a shield, but I use the phrase and individual words in their literal definition.

It's very important to me personally but I understand why some people feel like it's a joke.

Everyone's got an opinion and they're all valid. :)

• Brohoof 1

This may have been said, but the whole L+T thing, I don't be live it because of MLP,

I belive that if people enjoy something that does not hurt anybody, that you accept what they like and move on.

People are shunned out as outcasts just because of the way they look as well, I know because I am not a populer kid at school, people shun me because they can't accept me for who I am. So I belive in love and tolernce for things even out side of MLP

• Brohoof 1

It may have been a joke, it may as started as one, or is possibly still considered one to many. But i don't care how people interpret it or how tey use it, it still something i keep in the back of my mind.

Many people just use it to annoy, or counter trolls, i don't care. Its still a good motto to at least TRY and use. I know its difficult to try and keep Love and Tolorance, but its at least something to keep in your mind. Like Try Not to hate every God damn thing that annoys you. Try not to Hate evrybody and stuff. U can dislike stuff, but don't hate everything to the point of violence or even other unspeakable acts. And At least Try and be Tolerant of other views an opinions. And Tolerant as in understanding and recognizing their views. Some people think of the other meaning of Tolerance and think its means just to ignore or withstand the negativity people spew at you. Even though that aint bad to believe in either, u should still keep an open mind and try and understand other beliefs and opinions, instead of negating them entirely.