Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could use input for a new pixelling style of mine

Pix3M

Posted Image

EDIT: If this piece seems perfect to you, read this post: Which critiques what I manage to get done here and has a newer version of this piece: http://mlpforums.com/topic/37832-could-use-input-for-a-new-pixelling-style-of-mine/#entry904112

Ofc, this isn't even finished, but I've finished enough to show the general direction I'm heading.

I could supposedly seek opinions from people who can give truly useful art critiques, but I would rather ask around for layman opinions of this style as it seems tough for me to know what the fans like. Any opinions of this art style or body style?

As for me, I've been interested in heavily upgrading a much older art style with new pixel tricks I'm confident I'm very good at now. Then, I wanted to experiment with a body style that aims for beautiful rather than cute, thus the tall, slim style that I believe goes very very well with this dress from the suited for success episode.

But... think this will make it to EQD? I'm looking forward to actually getting something in a drawfriend after being declined so many times. -_-

Edited by Pix3M
  • Brohoof 6

If I could unhinge my jaw, then I could possibly physically exemplify how amazing this is. Didn't make it to EQD? P'shaw! If this does not make it my friend then there is nothing that will get on EQD. The pixels are perfectly formed around the face and her dress and basically everywhere! definitely a +1

looking good dude. nice anti-aliasing type effects with the lines in the face.

there's some ambiguity with the positioning of her front left leg. could be raised to look more in line with the rear-left leg.

(edited)

Didn't make it to EQD? P'shaw! If this does not make it my friend then there is nothing that will get on EQD.

EQD's standards do not appear consistent at all. I've seen pieces that were merely okay (to me at least), but very good pieces at the same time. If there are reasons why my other works didn't make it, it's because somebody isn't telling me something.

Edited by Pix3M
  • Brohoof 1

EQD's standards do not appear consistent at all. I've seen pieces that were merely okay (to me at least), but very good pieces at the same time. If there are reasons why my other works didn't make it, it's because somebody isn't telling me something.

Same with music. Excellent songs have been rejected, and mediocre ones have been accepted. It's all dependent on whether whoever is previewing or prelistening happens to like your style and forward it, I assume. I've had a few of my songs get rejected that I thought were some of my best, and then much less polished ones get featured.

That said, don't get discouraged, your art is looking GREAT and I really like your style! Watching you on DA. :P

Same with music. Excellent songs have been rejected, and mediocre ones have been accepted. It's all dependent on whether whoever is previewing or prelistening happens to like your style and forward it, I assume. I've had a few of my songs get rejected that I thought were some of my best, and then much less polished ones get featured.

That said, don't get discouraged, your art is looking GREAT and I really like your style! Watching you on DA. :P

I have a hunch that all EQD really cares is what the art is about. With that considered, I'm concerned this piece isn't gonna make it to EQD either because I'm not aiming for cuteness that most fans seem to fall for, but rather something supermodel-like to go with that dress idea.

Makes me wonder... what's the last piece that got featured in a drawfriend that doesn't focus on cuteness at all?

this is perfect, the only thing I could say is that the rest of the body and the wing doesn't have the same amount of effort you put in the face, appart from that, that Fluttershy is gorgeous! :D

edit: I just read that it is unfinished, my bad :D

Edited by Motion Spark

(edited)

this is perfect, the only thing I could say is that the rest of the body and the wing doesn't have the same amount of effort you put in the face, appart from that, that Fluttershy is gorgeous! :D

Well, it is a work in progress.

If it seems perfect, look closer. You can find things to improve on if you stare at it long enough. There aren't very many perfect works out there. There might be something objectively good that can be changed. To make my point, here are some thoughts:

After a couple of days of starting at this while I casually work on my ultra-precise manual antialiasing (i'll just call it AA which is regular pixel artist lingo), I'm beginning to see problems that are fundamental. There is a potential issue that the pose is kind of like pony-creator - the body is aligned to the side so it creates a weak depth impression. I could probably draw her in 3/4ths so the back legs are definitely farther, creating a much stronger impression of depth. I also did not plan out this piece well enough so I wasn't sure how fluttershy would actually look in 3D. If I planned ahead, I would be having less issues with trying to figure out shading and the positioning of the legs.

I may have went with a side view for the sake of displaying a dress idea from the show that never went into practice, but still... there's a weak depth impression.

Anatomy wise... Look at the raised legs... doesn't it seem difficult to wrap your head around what the leg might look underneath the cloth? I also eventually found Fluttershy's head to be a bit wide for what I intended, and after making it narrower, I found the results more attractive. Some of the legs also appear to be different lengths.

Then, there is a stylistic problem found in what I manage to get done. In the version in this thread, look at the outline of her lower mane right below her eye. That line is of uniform length. I am going for an experimental outline style which attempts to add to the piece by varying in width. I've tried varying the width in an attempt of creating lines that flow more smoothly, and in the case of the tip of her nose, try to actually add a detail by merely thickening a line. What I have done to that outline of her lower mane right below her eye is make that straight line start thick from her ear, go thinner as it curves down, then thicken again.

Plus, there IS a better way to do the colors. The pink in the hair basically punches through the image so it almost seems like it doesn't belong. I also found a way to ditch the darker green color in used for her eye so I can use another color for more precise AA. Pixel artists like to go for smaller color counts which usually gets you more beautiful results. The AA around the edge of her eye is also punching through the image so it looks like noise which doesn't really add to the piece. The background color is also unecessarily saturated and it is best to desaturate it as much as I can without making the red AA colors on the exterior of the outline start to punch through the image. That way, the colors used on Fluttershy will have a much stronger focus.

And here's my latest version. See how I addressed the issues above by now:

https://dl.dropbox.c...web/tmp/FD4.png

Edited by Pix3M

@@Pix3M, and I think that you are being TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard on yourself, I don't know if that the standard of the pixel artist but you seriously have to chill, yes, the anatomy may not be perfect, but the flaw is wonderfully covered by the beautiful dress she's wearing, and the advanced version looks awesome! :D

I can't find a flaw on it!

@@Pix3M, and I think that you are being TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard on yourself, I don't know if that the standard of the pixel artist but you seriously have to chill, yes, the anatomy may not be perfect, but the flaw is wonderfully covered by the beautiful dress she's wearing, and the advanced version looks awesome! :D

I can't find a flaw on it!

Nah. I just listed stuff that I feel could have been improved to better go with what I want. The things I listed are things that make me less satisfied with what I want.

Being a pixel artist doesn't mean that they necessarily have high standards. Most bronies into pixel art are ones who just sticks with desktop ponies and other styles comparable to that. I guess I'm just somebody who just feels like going directions other brony pixel artists haven't dared to go.

Nah. I just listed stuff that I feel could have been improved to better go with what I want. The things I listed are things that make me less satisfied with what I want.

Being a pixel artist doesn't mean that they necessarily have high standards. Most bronies into pixel art are ones who just sticks with desktop ponies and other styles comparable to that. I guess I'm just somebody who just feels like going directions other brony pixel artists haven't dared to go.

funny thing, all the time I thought that you were a female until I really stalked lurked your deviantART page, reason? I don't click on profiles XD

well, I say don't aim for perfect stuff, what you do it's already impressive and I think someone needs a lot of patience to work with pixels

funny thing, all the time I thought that you were a female until I really stalked lurked your deviantART page, reason? I don't click on profiles XD

well, I say don't aim for perfect stuff, what you do it's already impressive and I think someone needs a lot of patience to work with pixels

But can I have not just impressive, but more impressive? I think that's a perfectly reasonable goal. Besides, if I notice a potential issue and I can easily just go fix it, I will do exactly that.