Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where does the brony draw their line?

Antismurf9001

After reading a lot of peoples opinions on this, I think there's a very common denominator that keeps appearing. In a short summary, it's that - if it's online and legal, we're fine with it. If it gets to physical/emotional illegal bullying, then we have a problem.

You hit the nail on the head. This is basically the sum of my opinion (though, as proven before, I may let anger get the best of me and try to wage war online). Though I feel like I'd be more offended if the attacking was against someone else. If it's towards me, I think that I would be able to shrug it off (unless things get physical, in which I wouldn't really have a choice other than fight back or GTFO (and would probably end up choosing the latter, seeing as I'm not a terribly physical person...)).

On the topic of the definition of bronies, I don't see why every fan of the show should be generalized as a brony. I mean, I consider myself both a fan of the show and a brony, but there's no reason why every fan is a brony. I suppose it can be thought of like religion. A person can consider themselves a Christian without being Catholic (PLEASE NO RELIGIOUS DEBATES! PLEASE! THIS IS MERELY AN EXAMPLE). If one thinks that they're a fan of the show, but not a brony, then why can't they do just that? Even if others see themselves as essentially doing the same things that a brony would.

Edited by antismurf9001
  • Brohoof 1

I don't see why every fan of the show should be generalized as a brony.

That brings up a good point that i've seen quite alot recently, what actually does define a brony?

I mean, is there a certain requirement or test to become a brony? Are there certain things we have to commit to to become a brony?

When are people considered to be just a regular fan of the show?

I mean, is there a certain requirement or test to become a brony? Are there certain things we have to commit to to become a brony?

I'm sorry, I really just couldn't resist. Please continue with your actual serious discussion. Unfortunately, I think that I'm too new to the fandom to be able to answer such a philosophical question.

but seriously, an initiation ritual would be awesome

• Brohoof 1

I draw it when:

1. Anti-Bronies have to be extremely stupid, immature, and then an attention whore who brings in more hate.

2. When fellow Bronies are being bullied or trolled, I'll come in with my favorite weapon, common sense.

3. Finally, when something obviously not related to Bronies creates a huge uproar (ex, Meet the Pyro, nothing MLP related).

If all else fails, just punch them straight in the face ignore them or say, seriously? Gotta be that immature?

(also can somebody link me this video of this guy's artwork being destroyed?)

Edited by Sam the jimmie rustler

Can someone please send me the video? I really want to watch this, sounds kinda funny.

(also can somebody link me this video of this guy's artwork being destroyed?)

First off, the original topic was closed, and I wanna see the video, so can someone link it?

Wow, a lot of people apparently want to see this... Hold on, just let me find it in my Youtube history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYEE5NlEruY

(unrelated: how do we put things in spoiler tags? I've been trying to find the bloody button for a while and can't seem to locate it... Noob member is noob.)

• Brohoof 1

Really? Fucking really? That's it? It doesn't look like the dude stole someone else's pony and destroyed it.

God fucking damn, some of you people are so easily set off.

unrelated: how do we put things in spoiler tags?

Right between the font selection and that pink and white thing.

Or, you know, [ spoiler ] [ / spoiler ] (without the spaces)

Really? Fucking really? That's it? It doesn't look like the dude stole someone else's pony and destroyed it.

God fucking damn, some of you people are so easily set off.

I think that it was more the story that went along with this that set us off. It seemed that the original poster knew first-hand what was happening and such. However, since that thread is now missing, I cannot provide legitimate proof of this.

Thanks SonOfTheNorthe!

If one thinks in dichotomies, there will always be someone out there that has the complete opposite opinion that you have. If you have a balanced opinion, which is made up of qualifiers as well as exceptions, you will be a supporter of peace.

This.

Side 1: All bronies are gay and their artwork needs to be destroyed.

Side 2: Anybody who destroys one of my comrade's artworks needs to be destroyed.

Balance: It's a shame his artwork was destroyed, but it really isn't my business and perhaps this is something he should figure out on his own, rather than pointlessly flagging a video.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYEE5NlEruY

To the guy who made that video: You have too much free time and spend it criticizing people's interests, he needs a new hobby.

But in the end after watching this vid:

Posted Image

Well, something like this is right up my alley.

Yes, it is easy to say that this is internet stuff and doesn't matter yet people have died.....killed themselves over internet stuff. The line between the internet and our real lives is getting hazier every year. I personally feel that the point of a community, clan, family is not just to love and tolerate but to protect. I know if someone destroyed something I made and posted a YouTube movie about it entitled "How to deal with pronies", I'd be pretty pissed.

An example of this is how the Mane Six have dealt with the truely wicked of the villains. There was no trying to understand King Sombra. There was no tolerance for Crystalis. They were doing other ponies harm and they stood up to them.

Being a Brony isn't just a fandom to me. Its like a code. There are many levels of bronies, some are hard core and others not so much. For those of us that it matters...that it really matters, we have a duty to stand by our fellow ponies. As the old saying goes, you;ve got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

Maybe we should be discussing more how we should respond to things like this. Also, on a kinda side note, kinda makes me wish we did have a kind of leadership councel or a Mane six of our own to help us during times like these. Just a random thought.

Obsidian Winter

• Brohoof 1

That brings up a good point that i've seen quite alot recently, what actually does define a brony?

When are people considered to be just a regular fan of the show?

"A regular fan of the show" is a brony though. In my opinion, any fan of MLP:FiM regardless of age, sex, dedication or participation in the fandom is a brony. You don't have to be super dedicated and you don't have to participate in parts of the fandom, like here on these forums.

On this other forum I went to (that is unrelated to MLP but had an MLP section) people were once arguing about what makes a "true brony" and what the definition is. In the end we all came to the conclusion that it's way better to just have a simple definition as "a fan of the show" instead of setting up all these requirements and "tests" that you have to have done to be a brony (eg. you have to visit EQD at least weekly or something).

I don't really have a line. I've always taken the approach of ignore the haters. I'll occasionally state my position calmly, but I'll do little more than that. It's not worth the time feeding someone who is, in all likelihood, trolling.

Of course, I've also had success with that strategy generally; I used the ignore strategy to defuse bullying back in high school.

It's okay guys, I think we found the real issue here... We're not dealing with regular haters here...

... Orks have arrived in Equestria...

post-10103-0-67614800-1354030150_thumb.jpg

Notify the Imperius Celestus and call in the Guard... This means WAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

Posted Image

Oh god...

Would commissar twilight be shooting twilight guard spike with friendship&love ammunition when he gets low on morale?

okay, this video is meant to provocate, disliking it is okay...not okay is to post harsh comments, insult the maker, not when you have your ideals straight. You can tell him that he did wrong, but people like this don´t even mean this serious, they won´t give a buck.

People like the uploader/ maker have my deep and true condolence, because they can only find happyness in destruction... this kind of extreme trolling isn´t acceptable, but if you respond to it, you only put oil into his fire of ignorance and idiocy.

Edited by Your Friend

'Love and tolerance' may be something that the fandom does but it's not something the people in the fandom have to do. I value my personal views and freedoms more than the fandom's and I refuse to sit by and allow someone to trash talk me for what I do or like. Of course, if it's to the point of a flame war than that's usually going too far but to just stand by and let someone talk like that about me is not going go unchallenged. When something is done to deface one's property or reputation then one has every right to defend themselves. But if you are going to defend yourself, do it smartly. There's a point where you will realize whether a person hates bronies and is just going to be a butthead about it and repeat all the same responses or doesn't like them for legitimate reasons but is open to reasoning and/or willing to look past a person's bronyism for their other traits. We may be bronies, but it's not all that we are, and that's something some people don't seem to realize.

Being a brony does not automatically mean that's all we are and most people don't wanna look past the brony in us to see that we share many things in common with many other people. What about before MLP:FiM was around? Did you get a long with people? Were you a gamer that was able to talk on a gaming forum? Were you an anime fan able to talk civilly with other otaku about various kinds of anime? How about a furry who has seen the ugly side of mankind because furries are hates as much, if not moreso, than bronies?

There's more to us than our bronydom and people need to get over their fantastical theories that all bronies are "fags" or "pedos" just for being bronies, even if they have never shown no sign of ever being these things before they were ever a brony.

Thus, I feel there is a need to defend ourselves as people, not as a fandom, because even if people hate the idea of bronies, hating on the people in the fandom just because they are bronies is utterly unreasonable and we have to prove that through civil discussion. Of course, not everyone is gonna be reasonable and civil about it and those are the people you just straight up ignore. The ones you want to talk to convince are the ones who will listen to you but you can't jump into flames or trolling because that will just throw all reason and civility out of the window.

I'm starting to get redundant, which means I'm taking too long and should end here. Hopefully this was informative for everyone.

• Brohoof 2

But it doesn't take talent to sew up a cosplay? wut? Cosplay is hard work mang, I spend hours sewing up and stuffs.

for me, it would be harder to write a story then do something more hands on, such as sewing a costume or welding metal, or building engines etc. i respect what you guys do, and i know it takes skill and talent to be able to take a pile of fabric and make it into a costume that people can recognize. no doubt that its difficult to do, and i ment no disrespect towards cosplayers.